Is your home humidifier on?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2018 9:30 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2017
68 posts
45 upvotes

Is your home humidifier on?

Just wondering if anyone has their home humidifier on yet. I’m in Toronto so it hasn’t been cold long enough to really dry out the house, but the air feels drier. My Nest thermostat says it’s 40% in the house, and I usually keep the humidistat at that level, but it just feels drier than normal. Anyways, just wondering what everyone else is doing.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7584 posts
4964 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Ours has been on for weeks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3073 posts
1803 upvotes
Markham
My humidifier is also off at the moment. My house is hovering around 36-38%.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1767 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
I turned mine on when I turned on the furnace. I hate a dry house.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10151 posts
1618 upvotes
Been on for a while, it was feeling dry during that cold part of Dec/Nov.

It's still on but at a lower setting in general.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6088 posts
6353 upvotes
Toronto
Yes.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4897 posts
2184 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I just repaired ours this past weekend and turned it on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36412 posts
22563 upvotes
Center of Universe
We use portable humidifiers in the bedroom and one downstairs (hardwood floors) the same time we start using heat.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19865 posts
3842 upvotes
Toronto
Mine has been on for close to 2 months now.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14831 posts
9622 upvotes
Markham
VertigoM wrote: I turned mine on when I turned on the furnace. I hate a dry house.
+1 If it's cold enough to turn on the furnace, it's time to turn on humidifier. If it's not done at the same time, it can be forgotten and you go the whole winter without humidity.

This shouldn't be a problem if it's not COLD ENOUGHT as there's gauge so if humidity is OK, it's not working.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17735 posts
19924 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: +1 If it's cold enough to turn on the furnace, it's time to turn on humidifier. If it's not done at the same time, it can be forgotten and you go the whole winter without humidity.

This shouldn't be a problem if it's not COLD ENOUGHT as there's gauge so if humidity is OK, it's not working.
+1. Mine is on. By the time you feel it, it may take a week or 2 to humidify your house up to where you want it. So better to stay on top of it.

Humidity is about 38% main floor, 45% in bedrooms upstairs.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 20th, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Nov 16, 2008
136 posts
5 upvotes
Brampton
Mine has been on for about a month now and my house is hovering around 35-38%.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3470 posts
1224 upvotes
Ottawa
We don't even own one. Have plants ☺ although I do have to water often. Humidity about 40%.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5724 posts
3534 upvotes
I don’t get this question. Don’t you just turn it on and set the target humidity ? Mine is always on. But the humidity is controlled by my tstat(ecobee) so it only uses it when needed to maintain target humidity.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7375 posts
3488 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Don't have one but main floor tstat says anywhere from 35-50% and downstairs using one of those portable humidity readers it goes up to 55% sometimes so still using portable dehumidifier even now!!
Selling Viking 7 winters on steel wheels. Good for Subaru and some Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Toyota. Almost New, less then 1k kms used.

viking-contact-7-winter-tires-steel-wheels-2507125/
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1134 posts
420 upvotes
Mississauga
Was turned on and flap opened when the furnace was turned off. I did a test and with the humidifier off, flap closed (flow through, furnace humidifier) house temperature at 21C the relative humidity was at 29% main floor. With humidifier on, I have it set to 38% and it takes two days to get to that point when I turn it on. We have approximately 8 house plants of various sizes that we water regularly, with a Lennox high efficiency furnace and Lennox flow through humidifier installed on the return air side with hot water feeding it and the humidifier pad/filter is replaced once per year. Humidity is set via the furnace thermostat.
Apr 19, 2018
368 posts
281 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
Turned on the humidifier when the humidity fell below 40%, which was the last week of November. I do have a few plants and normal household activity seems to be keeping the humidity level comfortable until then.

I leave the task of turning the humidifier on until later to not have stagnant water sitting in the pan unnecessarily (using a drum humidifier) . I have to drain the pan every couple of weeks (no self-flushing mechanism) to control salt accumulation and keep the source water relatively clean.