Travel

Was your luggage searched when arriving in Mexico?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2021 6:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada

Was your luggage searched when arriving in Mexico?

If so, did they make note of what you brought in and did they check you when you departed the country?
28 replies
Penalty Box
Mar 31, 2008
12512 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
Went for a bachelor party way back. They checked on the way out but it seemed random and wasn't crazy thorough.

Somebody else I know seemed to have had theirs searched or opened by the baggage ppl. Wasn't crazy bad but it was noticeable it was opened.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
Surely they weren't concerned about people bringing drugs INTO Mexico? I wonder what they are looking for?
Mar 16, 2006
371 posts
432 upvotes
Vancouver
Still working on your smuggling scheme?
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
I'm worried about losing something or getting something stolen in Mexico and proving it when I leave. Going to the police is always risky. Any dealings with the police in Mexico is always risky. As a foreigner you have no rights, no leverage, no nothing, except you appear to them as a walking ATM. I spent about a year in Mexico and while nothing terrible happened I had some close calls that made me realize how precarious things can be there when it comes to the police. And the more police that are involved, the more expensive it gets. The vast majority of tourists are utterly clueless.
Mar 16, 2006
371 posts
432 upvotes
Vancouver
MichaelZZZ wrote: I'm worried about losing something or getting something stolen in Mexico and proving it when I leave. Going to the police is always risky. Any dealings with the police in Mexico is always risky. As a foreigner you have no rights, no leverage, no nothing, except you appear to them as a walking ATM. I spent about a year in Mexico and while nothing terrible happened I had some close calls that made me realize how precarious things can be there when it comes to the police. And the more police that are involved, the more expensive it gets. The vast majority of tourists are utterly clueless.
Oh, I was just guessing from your previous scammy thread where you wanted to bring extra tablets and laptops in your luggage to sell.
has-anyone-brought-items-particular-cou ... l-2418045/

Even though Mexico has many electronic stores. Just guessing though,
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
Mexico is a terrible place to buy anything that is not made there. And what is made there? Well their hammocks are great.
When you travel you pick the best country to buy and the best country to sell. How often do we upgrade our electronics? Quite often. Most people have a camera or 2, a laptop or two, tablet, ereader, a couple of phones at least (many people have several). When we accumulate a lot of things it shows we're not on top of our possessions and not managing them well. As soon as we're not using something much that tends to depreciate we should sell it. Well if you're going to a country where its very expensive, why not sell it there if that's legal? I've never heard of anyone being tossed in jail in Mexico for selling a laptop. If they cared they would catalogue what people brought into the country. Labor is cheap there. It would be worth it for them to do. Its legal to bring 2 of many things into Mexico. Laptops, cameras (with an assortment of lenses), etc, after all.

Now if its illegal there to sell any of my possessions, please let me know. I don't want to ignore local laws.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9540 posts
2582 upvotes
Vancouver
HerbieC wrote: Oh, I was just guessing from your previous scammy thread where you wanted to bring extra tablets and laptops in your luggage to sell.
has-anyone-brought-items-particular-cou ... l-2418045/

Even though Mexico has many electronic stores. Just guessing though,
Nice catch. Troll be trolling with his old buy and sell scheme.

To the OP it’s called tax evasion.

They also manufacture many cars in Mexico.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20074 posts
17945 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MichaelZZZ wrote: I'm worried about losing something or getting something stolen in Mexico and proving it when I leave. Going to the police is always risky. Any dealings with the police in Mexico is always risky. As a foreigner you have no rights, no leverage, no nothing, except you appear to them as a walking ATM. I spent about a year in Mexico and while nothing terrible happened I had some close calls that made me realize how precarious things can be there when it comes to the police. And the more police that are involved, the more expensive it gets. The vast majority of tourists are utterly clueless.
Lol, if this was an HONEST QUESTION / CONCERN
Then the correct answer is keep your valuables on your person / in carry on

But as @HerbieC has scouted out … and your reply # 7
You are really more concerned about tax evasion and getting caught
(Love the excuses you pose for this … generosity to the poorer 2nd world citizens)

It’s rich !

Esp the bit about worrying about the lawlessness of Mexican Authorities (Border Agents, Police etc)
When you are no better than that which you are most concerned about … getting caught

Too funny
You get caught you get everything you deserve
Sitting in a Mexican Jail might actually teach you that countries can set their own rules / laws
And it’s YOUR CHOICE as a visitor to obey
Or face THEIR PUNISHMENT … whatever it is

Don’t like it … obey
Or don’t travel

My guess you’d get thrown in a Mexican Jail
And be the one pleading with the Cdn Govt to come to your rescue

I say … you outright KNOW you are breaking the rules
Rot in jail, for all I care!

Cdns should not waste our time or monies on rescuing fools

You travel … you are expected to RESPECT THE COUNTRY you are a VISITOR IN by their good graces of letting you be there
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
> They also manufacture many cars in Mexico.

True. I'm sure they manufacture many things but I meant designed/built only in Mexico. Hey, I admit I'm not versed in Mexican manufacturing.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
> Then the correct answer is keep your valuables on your person / in carry on

So you've never heard of people getting robbed on the street? What an absurd statement you made.

> You are really more concerned about tax evasion and getting caught

Do you know if its illegal for a foreigner to sell their property in Mexico? Isn't that the essence of this really? I confess I don't know. But as they never mention it I thought it wasn't. If you know otherwise let me know.

If its not illegal, stop with the accusations. I made it clear that I wanted to use certain countries to buy my needed stuff and other countries to sell my unneeded stuff. But you seem intent on turning this into a court case. You people sure have a lot of time on your hands. Especially HerbieC. Unbelievable. Just look at his vacuous posts. If you need a TV at a good deal consult the expert, HerbieC!

So it is legal or not for a foreigner to sell a laptop in Mexico?
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
It seems a few people on RFD have nothing better to do than try to tear down others that come up with the occasional good idea. Why not come up with some good ideas on your own? Then the others will tear yours to pieces. But we don't see that coming from you people.
Someone wise once said,
"There are two ways of having the tallest building in town. One is to build better than everyone else and the other is to tear your competition down."

Focus on building. You'll feel better.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
No drama. :)
Just legalities. Is it legal or not for a foreigner to sell a personal possession while in Mexico. Simple question. Remember, I'm not talking about many items. I'm talking about the occasional item. Just like we would do in Canada. We get rid of things from time to time.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1110 posts
443 upvotes
toronto
been to Mexico many times..only couple of times searched,,a others have mentioned..defenitely randomed....couple of times,,just fruit we brought,,they just take on the spot,,and no they dont make notes of been checked..as well never been checked heading back
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
So you were searched a couple of times going in to Mexico?
I don't understand your mentioning fruit. Wouldn't that be for entering the US or Canada? LOL....who brings fruit to Mexico? Its like bringing drugs to Mexico. Or hammocks. Or Mexican manufactured cars!

Of course some people travel with food and if its picked in the originating country it could very well be a threat to Mexico. Please let us know.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15314 posts
9795 upvotes
Toronto
MichaelZZZ wrote: No drama. :)
Just legalities. Is it legal or not for a foreigner to sell a personal possession while in Mexico. Simple question. Remember, I'm not talking about many items. I'm talking about the occasional item. Just like we would do in Canada. We get rid of things from time to time.
There you have the real reason for this thread.
MichaelZZZ wrote: It seems a few people on RFD have nothing better to do than try to tear down others that come up with the occasional good idea. Why not come up with some good ideas on your own? Then the others will tear yours to pieces. But we don't see that coming from you people.

It's such a great idea you needed to start 2 threads on the same topic.

:facepalm:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
> It's such a great idea you needed to start 2 threads on the same topic.

Well to be fair this one was just asking a simple question about luggage. If people on here think I should delete it I'll delete it. If you think I should delete the other one I'll delete it as well. I don't want to encourage smuggling as some people seem to have gotten the wrong impression.

But how about we first determine if its legal for a foreigner to sell an item of their possession while in Mexico. I'd guess the chances of that being legal is about 99.9%. But I've been wrong many times in the past!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11897 posts
3526 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
If you want to know the rules, why not read them on the aduana website?

As a person who spent a year in Mexico, you must have developed a working use of Spanish. You must remember that the aduana form is in Spanish and English and provides a detailed list of what can be brought in.

http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanasPortal/ ... l#!/inicio
Goods for personal use, such as clothing including bridal trousseau, footwear and hygiene and beauty products, as long as they are consistent with the duration of the trip, baby items, such as a chair, portable crib, stroller, walker, among others , including their accessories; two photographic or video recording cameras; photographic material, three portable equipment for cell phones or other wireless networks; a global positioning equipment (GPS); an electronic diary; a portable computer equipment known as laptop, notebook, omnibook or similar; a portable copier or printer; a portable burner and projector, with their accessories; a portable device for recording or reproducing sound or mixed,or two digital image and sound recording or reproduction and a portable DVD player; a set of portable speakers, and its accessories; five laser discs, 10 DVD discs, 30 compact discs (CDs), three software packages and five devices storage for any electronic equipment; a video game console, as well as 5 video games, two personal sports equipment; four fishing rods, three gliders with or without a sail and their accessories, trophies or recognitions, provided that they can be commonly and normally transported by the passenger; a tent and other camping supplies; a binocular and a telescope; two musical instruments and their accessories, five toys, including collectibles; books, magazines and printed documents; a set of hand tools with case,which may include a drill, tweezers, keys, dice, screwdrivers, power cables, among others; a device to measure blood pressure and one to measure glucose or mixed and its reagents; as well as medications for personal use (in the case of substances psychotropic, must show prescription)
Passengers over 18 years of age can enter a maximum of up to 10 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco; up to three liters of alcoholic beverages and six liters of wine.
Older adults and people with disabilities can introduce items that due to their characteristics make up or reduce their limitations, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, canes, among others.
Goods for “personal use… consistent with the duration of the trip” are for the tourist’s personal use, not for resale.

You are welcome to try to game the hospitality of Mexico or any other country. But think of Clint Eastwood’s question…

I have made scores of trips to Mexico. The “randomization” of inspections is subject to individual decisions by aduana agents. In recent years, my baggage has been checked probably 50% of the time. They run everything through X-ray. If anything looks interesting, they pull the luggage for inspection. “Interesting” can include lots. I have been quizzed about a doorknob for my house. I brought a 10 year old used Breville blender and ended up paying duty on it.

Don’t even think about bringing something they might think was likely to be resold unless you have the receipt. I took a couple of refurbished Sonos speakers. I couldn’t find the receipt, but I brought a copy of the advertisement. It wasn’t good enough. I paid duty on their valuation.

Don’t even think of fudging a price. They’ll look it up on the web while you wait. And they‘’ll be looking at the Mexican online retailers’ websites, not your Kijiji Canada prices.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
492 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
Thank you! That was very helpful.

Under "Goods you cannot bring into Mexico" it mentions something curious:
"Worn clothing or footwear that are not part of your personal luggage."
Does anyone know what they mean by this? Do they think there is a grand conspiracy to sneak in old sneakers to sell in Mexico disrupting their shoe industry? Why would anyone even bring in "worn clothing or footwear" if its not yours? If you were smuggling you wouldn't bring in used clothing I suspect!