Health & Wellness

In Your Opinion: Accessing Reliable Health Information

[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
104 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill

In Your Opinion: Accessing Reliable Health Information

There are a lot of barriers to healthcare.

One of them is lack of access to reliable health information.

This post is for looking for opinions of any members...

What situations would prompt you to search for health related information? Where would you do your search?

AND

Where would you ideally want to find health information or in what method (in-person, video, 1:1, group, article, etc.)?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6403 posts
1211 upvotes
There is a LOT of reliable ‘health information’ available to anyone with an internet connection (not having internet access can be the barrier though). I think the bigger issue is that reader often doesn’t know how to determine what is reliable or not.

As for what methods of access to information people prefer...that depends on the nature of the information being sought.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13209 posts
2220 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If I dunno anything about something, I start with wikipedia.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8476 posts
2147 upvotes
Read real Drs, and real researchers, who are not funded by industry.

Do NOT read various quacks, chiropractors, naturopaths, Dr's and researchers funded by industry, Dr's with a fad diet book, Joe Rogan, various people selling ____ .

You can eat based on the new Canada food guide (finally not based on industry lobbying) and get some exercise, or you can be like the larger group who would rather listen to quacks

90% of americans don't eat the recommended amount of fruit and veg (which itself is low)

"The most recent edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that adults consume 1.5 to two cups of fruit per day, and two to three cups of vegetables per day. According to the CDC’s data, however, just 12.2% of American adults are meeting the standard for fruit, and 9.3% are meeting the standard for vegetables. On average, the report adds, Americans are eating fruit once per day and vegetables 1.7 times per day."
https://time.com/5029164/fruit-vegetabl ... 0per%20day.

And that goes for rfd posters too. I expect a couple of trolls will be here responding to me with nonsense soon. Just hit ignore.
Last edited by zoro69 on Oct 14th, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13209 posts
2220 upvotes
City of Vancouver
In BC, there is the provincial govt health info line 811 that anyone with a BC medical services number can call.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13209 posts
2220 upvotes
City of Vancouver
A major barrier to healthcare is the lack of family doctors. Lots of ppl can't find one willing to accept them.

Once u get one, u get five minutes per appointment, and often u r limited to one issue.
Dec 12, 2005
532 posts
90 upvotes
Richmond
Aside from 811 in BC, there is also the HealthLinkBC.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
104 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thank you everyone who has posted so far for your insight. Really appreciate the time you took to type your respective posts.
Anyone else who wishes to add any of their own insight/opinion, do feel free. Will keep monitoring this thread as long as people respond to it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 3, 2019
528 posts
335 upvotes
GTA
Wikipedia, Youtube and simple Google search to start. Depending on what the subject matter is, may delve deeper into content/research produced by independent experts, regional/federal health departments (including those from other countries), large universities. If subject matter is important enough, I'll find multiple reputable sources to back up the key details.
Banned
Oct 13, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Do NOT read various quacks, chiropractors, naturopaths, Dr's and researchers funded by industry, Dr's with a fad diet book, Joe Rogan, various people selling
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
rakablood4ever wrote: There are a lot of barriers to healthcare.
To start in helping readers, tags were related to the content of this thread. Feel free to remove or add tags. I think mouse clickings on those tags funnels readers to this thread who can contribute to this topic...Smiling Face With Open Mouth
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Apr 18, 2017
615 posts
290 upvotes
The way you have framed your question, is this for a thesis project?

What situations would prompt you to search for health related information?
Personal health issues, and friends/family if asked.
Incongruence with the information (ie. "normal" TSH ranges vary dramatically between provinces and internationally. )
Fun/interest.

Where would you do your search?
Medical textbooks mostly.
German, Belgian, and Swiss research seems less influenced by political and industry funding pressures for whatever reasons, so I normally start there.
Sci-Hub makes searching multiple journals easier now, and with Archive.org one can follow the historical development of various health theories and treatment protocols when interested.

Where would you ideally want to find health information or in what method (in-person, video, 1:1, group, article, etc.)?
All Science and Medical journals should be made freely available to everyone, as they have already been paid for by the government and/or the researchers.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10582 posts
1765 upvotes
It is not lack of access to reliable info, the problem is there are too many unreliable info.

The only source you should trust is your doctor. If you have doubt about your family doctor, ask a different doctor or a pharmacist for second opinion.

wiki, World Health contains a lot reliable information but keep in mind that they are not tailored for Canadian. Your provincial Public Health Authority has reliable basic information, if you want to dig further, try Mayo, Harvard.

Don't youtube or randomly google about healthcare information unless you know what you are doing. Most of them are scary, very scary.

The problem of reading medical journal is you need some background to make use of them (type of study, how the data are collected , what data has been omitted and why...etc). Most people will just skip to conclusion section and it only tells you what the researchers want to tell you. It's not easy to tell which are funded by "industry" if you know how the system work. Most medical professionals don't make decision by reading studies on Pubmed, but instead they based on recommendations and guidelines from a group of experts who analysis these studies.

rakablood4ever wrote: There are a lot of barriers to healthcare.

This post is for looking for opinions of any members...

What situations would prompt you to search for health related information? Where would you do your search?

AND

Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed