Real Estate

Your opinion on this builder's upgrade fees [Pre-Drywall]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2018 10:03 pm
Mar 25, 2017
498 posts
270 upvotes

Your opinion on this builder's upgrade fees [Pre-Drywall]

I'm a big time newbie, please share your thoughts on these Pre-Drywall upgrade fees. This is a 3 story townhome.
Images
  • Builders upgrade.jpg
65 replies
Banned
Feb 13, 2017
951 posts
1283 upvotes
oh man....what is going on in this world?

$2650 for smooth ceilings? LOL
$13,500 for oak stairs? LOL
$1,350 for 4 - 4" potlights? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Under cabinet light? $1,740? Uwotm8????

Please tell me this is a joke?

Potlights cost $50 to install each (before drywall)...that includes the light....after the drywall the retro fit is usually $100-$125 per pot light.

In my reno, a whole set of custom Oak stairs (11 steps total), cost me $3,500 + $1000 to stain (this was 6 years ago, but still...$13,500?? are they on crack??)

Dude, do not take any of this crap! This is pretty shocking...is this what the market has come to?

EDIT: read some more....this is pure comedy gold.

$150 for 1 USB outlet?

Here are 2 for $30:

https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-Electrica ... tlet&psc=1

Go crazy.

Edit 2: $300 for 1 dimmer switch????

Here is one for $29....probably the same brand they would give you for $300

https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-dimmable-I ... mer+switch
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
Without seeing the floor plan and knowing the builder and location, it is virtually impossible to comment. For instance, the oak stairs upgrade. Yours is a 3-story town. Is that for the 3 staircases? How wide are the stairs? Any other features included in the prices?
Mar 25, 2017
498 posts
270 upvotes
crocp8 wrote: oh man....what is going on in this world?

$2650 for smooth ceilings? LOL
$13,500 for oak stairs? LOL
$1,350 for 4 - 4" potlights? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Please tell me this is a joke?

Potlights cost $50 to install each (before drywall)...that includes the light....after the drywall the retro fit is usually $100-$125 per pot light.

In my reno, a whole set of custom Oak stairs (11 steps total), cost me $3,500 + $1000 to stain (this was 6 years ago, but still...$13,500?? are they on crack??)

Dude, do not take any of this crap! This is pretty shocking...is this what the market has come to?

EDIT: read some more....this is pure comedy gold.

$150 for 1 USB outlet?

Here are 2 for $30:

Go crazy.

skeet50 wrote: Without seeing the floor plan and knowing the builder and location, it is virtually impossible to comment. For instance, the oak stairs upgrade. Yours is a 3-story town. Is that for the 3 staircases? How wide are the stairs? Any other features included in the prices?
The price of smooth ceiling isn't bad considering it is a 3 story townhome + Walkout basement. I think that is the only damn upgrade I'm gonna go with. Everything else is ridiculous, they still haven't sent the pricing details for the interior upgrades yet. These builders have no idea what my current apartment maintenance crew is capable of. I'm going to grab one of them to instal faucets, door knobs, etc and get another one to install shower tiles and living room tiles. I'm not going to let these builders enslave me. They are going give me a heart attack at the decor appointment with "Upgrade Faucet to Level 1: $899/each".

There are actually 4 sets of stairs, 3 story townhome + walkout basement. The Walkout basement comes with renovated so it is actually a 4 story townhome.

Project: Woodbridge Park Towns
Builder: Sierra Building Group
Floor plan: http://woodbridgepark.ca/floorplan/b2-end-2/Your text to link here...
Banned
Feb 13, 2017
951 posts
1283 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Cool. Could amateur like me install this?
I did.....my whole house (and i'm below basic knowledge when it come to any electrical work).

Watched and followed a 5 minute youtube video.....after the 3rd or 4th one, I was doing the rest within minutes.
Banned
Feb 13, 2017
951 posts
1283 upvotes
worldpositive wrote: The price of smooth ceiling isn't bad considering it is a 3 story townhome + Walkout basement. I think that is the only damn upgrade I'm gonna go with. Everything else is ridiculous, they still haven't sent the pricing details for the interior upgrades yet. These builders have no idea what my current apartment maintenance crew is capable of. I'm going to grab one of them to instal faucets, door knobs, etc and get another one to install shower tiles and living room tiles. I'm not going to let these builders enslave me. They are going give me a heart attack at the decor appointment with "Upgrade Faucet to Level 1: $899/each".

There are actually 4 sets of stairs, 3 story townhome + walkout basement. The Walkout basement comes with renovated so it is actually a 4 story townhome.

Project: Woodbridge Park Towns
Builder: Sierra Building Group
Floor plan: http://woodbridgepark.ca/floorplan/b2-end-2/Your text to link here...
Agreed...smooth ceilings would be worth it (although its still really expensive).....but I would do it because A) popcorn ceilings are so ugly and B) once its popcorn, its a mess and headache to remove.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
So $13, 500 for 4 sets of stairs is $3375 per set. I also noticed in the floor plan that at the entry there are more steps. I'm thinking if you can get someone to install 4 plus sets of stairs after closing with HST and labour and remove and get rid of the current stairs and repair the house to pristine condition for less than $3375 per set, then you have one heck of a deal.

Upgrade costs on new builds are an exercise in what you are willing to do after closing to save money. Just remember that anything that you do after close takes time, you have to remove what is there and get rid of it, you have to actually replace it and do any touch ups that need to be done, pay HST, account for your time and gas driving around and buying the products and have little or minimum warranty coverage on the items. There are some things that are worth doing to save money - for others - have the builder do it and be done.
Oct 25, 2010
87 posts
62 upvotes
GTA
Smooth ceilings worth it at that price in my opinion. For reference, it was ~$4k for 2700 sqft house, mind you we have some tall ceilings that required some scaffolding work. Even though the contractors did a decent job with the clean-up, the amount of stucco dust left around the house was ridiculous.
$40/5gb Public Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ridiculous yes, but not ridiculous in the sense that other builders are charging similar prices.
Costs have gone up for EVERYTHING. That's why resell homes that are well renovated sell in a heartbeat while 30 year old originals sit on the market for years.
Lots of business for renovators in the next few years.
May 31, 2017
63 posts
45 upvotes
crocp8 wrote:

$150 for 1 USB outlet?

Here are 2 for $30:

Go crazy.

I'm only going to only comment on the electrical items you mention.

I will agree the quotation of some of the items may be a bit steep, but do realize a builder doesn't charge customer to build a home "at-cost" and isn't in the business of running a non-profit organization ...The builder is tacking on a markup,( on top of the electrical contractors markup). If not, everyone will just go out of business.

Also we cant just take everything at face value. IE we need to consider that there are additional cost to the drywallers scope to cut openings for additional lights, and millworker to cut out the openings for under cabinet lighting. We do do not even know the fixture specification to judge whether it is a good deal or not., All lights are not made equal, the cost of some of the high end lighting may shock some people.

Disclosure: I am an electrical contractor.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
The under cabinet lighting seems steep given the size your kitchen and my limited knowledge of what people are paying for it. But isn't this something that's a PITA to do after? Or it won't look as good?

I think everyone on RFD lusts after CAT6 network wiring in a house but the list here just shows CAT5

If you do pot lights after drywall is up on your own, should you get the ceilings smoothed out by the builder first?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
choked on my chicken bone at the potlight cost...the biggest ripoff on that list.. easy $50-$75 each depending who you use.

Some of the stuff is reasonable. $2630 smooth ceiling for the entire 3 story townhouse? thats pretty good, go for it. If just one floor... PASS!

USB outlet -- $190? If its just an outlet, get a handyman if you cant do it on your own... its not expensive.

Kitchen island how large? What kind of countertop? I did a 8.5 x 3.5 foot island with cesarestone countertop and paid about $4k (cesarestone is damn expensive and i did their calacutta countertop!)... that would let me know if it's worth it...

I got frameless shower done for $1450, my shower is also 5 x 7 (HUGEEEE)

Closest glass you can get for about $450.

oak stairs.. how many? I got mine redone for $8k... i have two stories, 18 steps each (so 36 in total) and mine are curved which is more expensive...if its 4 stories, roughly 8-10 each then it may be worth it to upgrade at front, each at small premium cause you will have a mess for 2 weeks...
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1925 posts
503 upvotes
If that's $2650 for smooth ceilings throughout the entire house, definitely go for it.

You're not going to get anyone willing to come in and scrape, skim, prime and paint for that price.

Hardwood staircases are the other upgrade that I recommend. Capping after the fact will never look as good - - finish doesn't stand up as well as a factory finish and the bottom riser will be noticeably higher than the rest.

One other upgrade I always recommend is to get larger basement windows. The cost is surprisingly reasonable and it makes a huge difference.

I hope you negotiated a credit towards upgrades when you bought. Most builders won't budge much on price but they're usually willing to throw $5k or $10k to you for upgrades - - because they're so ridiculously marked up.
Licenced Realtor and P.Eng
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Go for the smooth ceilings. I hate that popcorn shit - as does probably everyone else alive. It is a pain to remove later.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
Donnie740 wrote: If that's $2650 for smooth ceilings throughout the entire house, definitely go for it.

You're not going to get anyone willing to come in and scrape, skim, prime and paint for that price.

Hardwood staircases are the other upgrade that I recommend. Capping after the fact will never look as good - - finish doesn't stand up as well as a factory finish and the bottom riser will be noticeably higher than the rest.

One other upgrade I always recommend is to get larger basement windows. The cost is surprisingly reasonable and it makes a huge difference.

I hope you negotiated a credit towards upgrades when you bought. Most builders won't budge much on price but they're usually willing to throw $5k or $10k to you for upgrades - - because they're so ridiculously marked up.
Larger basement windows really make a difference if you or a future buyer wants to have someone living in the basement. Given the location, someone is probably going to be living in the basement sometime in the life of the house.
Mar 25, 2017
498 posts
270 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: choked on my chicken bone at the potlight cost...the biggest ripoff on that list.. easy $50-$75 each depending who you use.

Some of the stuff is reasonable. $2630 smooth ceiling for the entire 3 story townhouse? thats pretty good, go for it. If just one floor... PASS!

USB outlet -- $190? If its just an outlet, get a handyman if you cant do it on your own... its not expensive.

Kitchen island how large? What kind of countertop? I did a 8.5 x 3.5 foot island with cesarestone countertop and paid about $4k (cesarestone is damn expensive and i did their calacutta countertop!)... that would let me know if it's worth it...

I got frameless shower done for $1450, my shower is also 5 x 7 (HUGEEEE)

Closest glass you can get for about $450.

oak stairs.. how many? I got mine redone for $8k... i have two stories, 18 steps each (so 36 in total) and mine are curved which is more expensive...if its 4 stories, roughly 8-10 each then it may be worth it to upgrade at front, each at small premium cause you will have a mess for 2 weeks...
Donnie740 wrote: If that's $2650 for smooth ceilings throughout the entire house, definitely go for it.

Chickinvic wrote: Go for the smooth ceilings. I hate that popcorn shit - as does probably everyone else alive. It is a pain to remove later.
BlueSolstice wrote: Larger basement windows really make a difference if you or a future buyer wants to have someone living in the basement. Given the location, someone is probably going to be living in the basement sometime in the life of the house.
Thanks for the input guys, I'm definitely going for smooth ceiling as it doesn't seem bad for a 4 story townhome and I hate the damn popcorn ceiling. May upgrade Quartz and cabinet since kitchen is next to the living room and it makes sense to have a good looking kitchen. I don't need an Island as mine is a U shaped kitchen. The basement is walk-out and the window size is big pretty enough.

Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade stairs from carpet to oak as of yet since I have to pay 50% of the upgrade fees within 2 weeks from now when I have the decor appoint(bummer). My budget with decor is only $12,000 MAX (can only pay $6000 in 2 weeks) and therefore $13,500 for oak stairs would put me in a gigantic hole. I may just upgrade the railing, upgrade carpet on stairs to another grade and choose a colour to go with my future flooring. Regarding flooring, I'm going to get the basic standard laminate flooring and upgrade that after closing. They still haven't told me how much the interior upgrades are as of yet and won't until the damn appointment. I don't really need any stupid USB outlet and pot lights I can do that after closing. I currently live in a rental apartment, I don't mind paying extra month of rent, stayback and let private contractors do the upgrade. If i do the calculation, I'd be saving more money that way than with these builders.

Is it worth to go from 200AMP to 100 AMP ? I mean this is 1700 SQFT townhouse for 4 people.
May 31, 2017
63 posts
45 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
Is it worth to go from 200AMP to 100 AMP ? I mean this is 1700 SQFT townhouse for 4 people.
My professional opinion: Your electrical service size is determined by a demand load calculated as per code requirement. Sounds like they are selling you snake oil. You will not see any benefit to it. (Unless you are planning to add underfloor heating to every room, a sauna, hot tub, swimming pool and a 2nd kitchen in the near future).
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
worldpositive wrote: Thanks for the input guys, I'm definitely going for smooth ceiling as it doesn't seem bad for a 4 story townhome and I hate the damn popcorn ceiling. May upgrade Quartz and cabinet since kitchen is next to the living room and it makes sense to have a good looking kitchen. I don't need an Island as mine is a U shaped kitchen. The basement is walk-out and the window size is big pretty enough.

Unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade stairs from carpet to oak as of yet since I have to pay 50% of the upgrade fees within 2 weeks from now when I have the decor appoint(bummer). My budget with decor is only $12,000 MAX (can only pay $6000 in 2 weeks) and therefore $13,500 for oak stairs would put me in a gigantic hole. I may just upgrade the railing, upgrade carpet on stairs to another grade and choose a colour to go with my future flooring. Regarding flooring, I'm going to get the basic standard laminate flooring and upgrade that after closing. They still haven't told me how much the interior upgrades are as of yet and won't until the damn appointment. I don't really need any stupid USB outlet and pot lights I can do that after closing. I currently live in a rental apartment, I don't mind paying extra month of rent, stayback and let private contractors do the upgrade. If i do the calculation, I'd be saving more money that way than with these builders.

200amp is the new standard. No need for 300amp. However if you are 100amp I would upgrade to 200amp.