Your Personal Experiences On Chevrolet

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 7:36 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote

Your Personal Experiences On Chevrolet

Hello. I am planning to buy a car. I have very little knowledge on cars. Whats your take to 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA LS.

I know honda and toyota would be very good. But I am getting these cars at fairly low prices than Toyota and have no intention of keeping bought car for long.

But what about these car? Any personal experiences?

Thank you.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1006 posts
306 upvotes
Vancouver
It's more about how well it has been maintained if you are looking at cars that old. Even a Toyota/Honda can fall apart if it's not regularly serviced.

Youtube videos on what to check when buying a used car. Chrisfix even has a used car checklist you can use.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4909 posts
2266 upvotes
Mississauga
Impala is the best of the three.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24062 posts
2963 upvotes
Montreal
97 Sunfire sold in 2016!

2012 Cruze sold in 2016.

Currently own a 2017 Volt.

All three cars have been very cheap in terms of ownership. Cheap insurance, cheap repairs, and pretty good dealer service under warranty. I'd buy another GM in a heartbeat, if the actually made something interesting
Nov 11, 2013
530 posts
460 upvotes
Calgary
Beware of the lower intake manifold gasket failures of GM V6 motors if that era.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13828 posts
14336 upvotes
Oakville
GoldD85549 wrote: Hello. I am planning to buy a car. I have very little knowledge on cars. Whats your take to 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA LS.

I know honda and toyota would be very good. But I am getting these cars at fairly low prices than Toyota and have no intention of keeping bought car for long.

But what about these car? Any personal experiences?

Thank you.
Don't even consider the Cavalier or Cobalt. Impala may be ok for your use, make sure it's inspected by your mechanic.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13309 posts
7646 upvotes
Toronto
Had a 2002 sunfire, was pretty great car, was with the ecotech. Validate the motor, the 2.4 had a gasket and timing chain failures and the ecotech 2.2 was also in the cobalt. Great motor.

Do you need a mid-size and if so the impala is the choice, else I would probably take the cobalt over the cav simply due to the fact that the 2.2 is in the cobalt.

Nothing wrong with chevs, the interiors are to be questionable, but it's a early mid 2000s vehicle where no one else built anything better.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1774 posts
1173 upvotes
I had a Sunfire and now a Volt. The Sunfire parts both interior and exterior seemed very cheap and plasticy. My Volt is a lot more sturdy and solid. Chevrolets are known to have a lot of plastic in their interiors but the engines have held up well.

I also love the service centre of my Chevrolet dealer more than any other, especially Hyundai. They are not as pushy in terms of service maintenance and treat you with respect as a unique individual rather than a number. I give their sales and service department top marks, for my local dealer that is.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11182 posts
5598 upvotes
Brampton
They all bad.

LIM on the Impala

If you held a gun to my head.
I'd take the Cobalt.
Because the water pump job is cheaper than a LIM.
Maintenance is easier and cheaper than the 3400
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8262 posts
8604 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Those cars are all old, and whether one makes a better purchase than the other would come down to much more than the Model year and model that you’ve provided.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Those cars are all old, and whether one makes a better purchase than the other would come down to much more than the Model year and model that you’ve provided.
+1
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
had 2001 cavalier base model , no ac 5speed stick .
it was very reliable piece of junk , I paid 12.5 on the road , drove for 13 years and made 265k on it , the only problems were front bearings ...
I would buy it again ... but only new , lol ...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2271 posts
1520 upvotes
Markham
Ha, I've driven all of these, its rare I get to say that with stuff older than 2006.

Shockingly the best one is actually the Cavalier. The interior is ugly and bottom barrel, its not refined, however...it only has one flaw in reliability, its water pump is crap.

The Impala is 2nd only because the 3.5L engine is...questionable. Some mechanics think this specific GM engine is a total turd pile, oh and the water pump is also crap.

The Cobalt though is trash. Depending on what model, the ignition cylinder either eats your key and keeps it stuck if its a bare bones model or it spits it out and tries to kill you which was why it was recalled. Its built really crappy, I've seen plenty of things fall out so don't be surprised if its missing trim everywhere. Also I've seen these things get hit...metal is rather thin that it seems like its made of paper. Oh and the power steering can crap out on you. BTW all the stuff I'm mentioning happened when these were under warranty...I suspect far more has gone wrong in them now they're not new and absolutely not worth fixing.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4909 posts
2266 upvotes
Mississauga
The stupidest thing GM did with the Impala - well, besides making it FWD - was drop the 3800 motor after 2005.

I owned a 1995 Cavalier (the refreshed model) until 2002 and while it was definitely low-rent in interior quality, it did the job. Biggest mechanical issue was head gasket failure in the 2.2 engine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)