Careers

Your road to the elusive $50k/yr. The realistic salary discussion thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2023 10:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1368 posts
1662 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: ITT a couple of folks still trying to belittle the happiness of another due to their own shortcomings... Reminds me of those parents with "failed dreams" and living vicariously through their children
Framing me trying to encourage someone to look for a new job to improve their financial picture as "belittling the happiness of another" is quite silly. This is a career forum and specifically, this is a thread about salary. I clearly asked early on what their plan was for their career progression. The focus wasn't on trying to make people feel bad about their past decisions, but I also don't think it's unfair to question if all of those years of school is worth it when they are not directly using it in their current career. The general objective of post-secondary education has always been to set students up for a decent paying career.

It's like me telling you that you can easily save 1% on fees while not sacrificing returns if you invest in this other ETF/index fund as opposed to the one you're currently investing in right now. There's no need for people to get defensive when it's pointed out that they may have been doing things inefficiently up to that point. At the end of the day, we're all just trying to help here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
MarinersFanatik wrote: The general objective of post-secondary education has always been to set students up for a decent paying career.
Generally, yes - but a lot of people take it for personal fulfillment. In fact, some schools specifically advertise that as a selling point for their PHD programs. Think philosophy, odd medieval literatures, etc. where there are very few direct career purposes for those studies, but people take them anyway. Alternatively, those people who pile increasing amounts of credentials but don't have specific career intentions with them. Or think photography, where it's a fun enough hobby for people that they'll try to make careers out of something that makes almost no money.

While I don't agree with it, some people do irrational things for personal fulfillment.

Quite frankly, the world needs these people, as it doesn't need to be more competitive as it already is. The last thing we need is more people to pour into the remaining pockets of demand in industries with good prospects - by people who didn't even want to be there in the first place. Think of IT or software development/engineering for example, where outsourcing has killed a lot of work by those willing to do the work for the fraction of the money.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Straight up dumbass to be honest.
Its like walking into alcoholics anonymous and saying “you alcoholic losers ruined your life! Should have never drank a bottle a day!”

Well yah… thats why they’re in alcoholics anonymous. And they should be commended for getting together to get over their problems.

I mean… this is a thread for people aspiring to $50k a friggin year. Its a low bar and a low salary to be honest.
Since you brought it up, you do realize one of the steps of recovery involves acknowledging wrongs right?

Not once did this PhD admit his mistakes or missteps. Every turn, he blames it on something...job market, google wasn't great back then, job too tough..etc. This is CLASSIC denial where someone doesn't take control of their own life and blames it on external forces. But go ahead and keep cheering him on. I'm sure he's going to do really well the next time he encounters a big obstacle in his life.

FirstGear had a great comment - we can't have everyone strive to achieve more or there'd be too much competition. So chug on.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Walch1102 wrote: Since you brought it up, you do realize one of the steps of recovery involves acknowledging wrongs right?

Not once did this PhD admit his mistakes or missteps. Every turn, he blames it on something...job market, google wasn't great back then, job too tough..etc. This is CLASSIC denial where someone doesn't take control of their own life and blames it on external forces. But go ahead and keep cheering him on. I'm sure he's going to do really well the next time he encounters a big obstacle in his life.

FirstGear had a great comment - we can't have everyone strive to achieve more or there'd be too much competition. So chug on.
Oh for sure.
No doubt. But this all stems from that phd guy telling his story.
First reply was that he was “sad” and “wasted time”. Exactly those words.
Wasted time… sure thats fair. But “sad” is uncalled for. Especially in a thread meant for people low income, poor choices, poor circumstances etc etc.
This isn’t the amazing career progression and efficiency thread.
Its more to talk about your experiences, struggles, personal circumstances and setbacks.

The guy put his/her personal story out there. Then got attacked. He got singled out so i can understand why he is defensive.

So it is in poor taste to go into a thread like this and start firing shots. Its way too easy.

Its like going into an alcoholic anonymous who ruined their lives and want to improve thread… then saying “ugh you are all sad losers who ruined your life by drinking it away!”
Yes true… but is that really in good taste?

The thread is obviously tongue in cheek. As you can tell by the bar being set really low.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
jackpie wrote: anywhere here successfully transition from an office job to something hands on? feeling burnout from commercials sales, was the type who never used to be believe burnout was a real thing but here i am lol :(
Yes.
And it was well worth it!

Think of it as you will make the same money your making now, in like 4 to 6 months, and the other 6 months you spend on the beach having tequila and enjoying life
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1390 posts
1176 upvotes
I worked construction as a teenager during summers in university. I would often organize work with guys outside of regular job (side jobs) during the week and weekends for cash.

After graduation (4 year bachelor program at reputable school) i moved to alberta and worked on the oil rigs for 3 years. It was cut throat but inmediately made 80k a year out of the gate. Sold my soul and relationships for 3 years.. lost touch with tons of people. It gave me a headstart. It was scary moving away solo on my own but also grew me a pair of balls.

Came back to Ontario, got on indeed and looked at job classifieds online where professional designations were needed. I knew i wanted a desk job where I could wear nice clothes and work in an office. I started a program in real property appraisal at UBC then applied for a job requiring this designation. Got the job and was making 50k to start. Now closer to 80k with promotion after 3 years.

If I could go back Id rather have done business degree or data science program.. or real estate program that would've gone towards attaining a professional designation upon completion of the undergraduate (so i didnt have to do that after school). I doubled up on school when i didnt need to had i planned ahead.

I think key takeaway from my experience is to get into a school program that gives you a marketable skillset like a designation. Most people graduate with a degree and nothing else. Dime a dozen nowadays.

I think younger people here shouldn't be afraid to go back to school and look for a designation even if its done while working. I worked and did school at the same time.

I do also believe school is a waste of money for many but it depends what you take. You really should be sure the money translates into a job otherwise it isnt worth doing.

Otherwise a skilled trade is drfinitely worth pursuing IMHO. Even UPS drivers or truck drivers make like 35 an hour with potential for long hours. Working retail when there are higher paying jobs and labour shortages just doesnt make sense to me personally.

I am not a success story but 30, own my own home, married, 150k+ household income. Really not that hard to make more than 50k a year. I am not trying to crap on anyone but I don't see the issue with aiming somewhat higher. The reason I am posting is because my first desk job was around 50k to start. I stayed the hell out of the GTA because i felt the cost of living was mental after moving back from AB.

My commute to work used to be 30mins each way but now I WFH 80% of the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Jordanferras wrote: I worked construction as a teenager during summers in university. I would often organize work with guys outside of regular job (side jobs) during the week and weekends for cash.

After graduation (4 year bachelor program at reputable school) i moved to alberta and worked on the oil rigs for 3 years. It was cut throat but inmediately made 80k a year out of the gate. Sold my soul and relationships for 3 years.. lost touch with tons of people. It gave me a headstart. It was scary moving away solo on my own but also grew me a pair of balls.

Came back to Ontario, got on indeed and looked at job classifieds online where professional designations were needed. I knew i wanted a desk job where I could wear nice clothes and work in an office. I started a program in real property appraisal at UBC then applied for a job requiring this designation. Got the job and was making 50k to start. Now closer to 80k with promotion after 3 years.

If I could go back Id rather have done business degree or data science program.. or real estate program that would've gone towards attaining a professional designation upon completion of the undergraduate (so i didnt have to do that after school). I doubled up on school when i didnt need to had i planned ahead.

I think key takeaway from my experience is to get into a school program that gives you a marketable skillset like a designation. Most people graduate with a degree and nothing else. Dime a dozen nowadays.

I think younger people here shouldn't be afraid to go back to school and look for a designation even if its done while working. I worked and did school at the same time.

I do also believe school is a waste of money for many but it depends what you take. You really should be sure the money translates into a job otherwise it isnt worth doing.

Otherwise a skilled trade is drfinitely worth pursuing IMHO. Even UPS drivers or truck drivers make like 35 an hour with potential for long hours. Working retail when there are higher paying jobs and labour shortages just doesnt make sense to me personally.

I am not a success story but 30, own my own home, married, 150k+ household income. Really not that hard to make more than 50k a year. I am not trying to crap on anyone but I don't see the issue with aiming somewhat higher. The reason I am posting is because my first desk job was around 50k to start. I stayed the hell out of the GTA because i felt the cost of living was mental after moving back from AB.

If you held on longer or did the trades who knows, you could be at 200k a year. No regrets leaving?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2017
1390 posts
1176 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: If you held on longer or did the trades who knows, you could be at 200k a year. No regrets leaving?
No regrets on leaving Alberta. The oil patch took a dive and work was getting harder to come by but not terrible. It was also pretty dangerous. I had a near miss on my last day ironically.. final destination type scare 1 hour before my last shift ended. Things are rebounding now though. Glad I got out of the oil patch and didn't get stuck. People there get committed and buy a house or expensive vehicles etc and get stuck in that job to pay things off. A lonely lifestyle working long hours and for me it was always a temporary get quick money gig as a young guy. I moved back where my parents and immediate family are from.

One company I did work for was called CEDA. I did this when the oil rigs shut down in the spring due to the thawing ground (cant move equipment). They were flying people from as far as out East in Newfoundland to Ft McMurray for refinery maintenance. They also had a bunch of other careers. I think it is owned by one of the large pension plans. They employ trades guys too that were making a lot more than I was. Some of them I spoke with were being flown in and out quite frequently. Not a terrible company to work for.

Working 37 hours a week and making around 100k in a couple of years while using the extra time to pursue other jobs I like to do on the side is my goal. A home office desk job beats 14 hours in Northern Alberta near sour gas wells and -30 or -40s.

I just bought a work truck and will be looking at doing landscape curbing and concrete work in the warmer months on the side (basically the same stuff I did in my early 20s). Sort of pick and choose what and when I feel like doing for extra cash. Hell I even cut grass still where possible. Not many jobs where I feel I am too good to work.

There's a lot more "side job" type work out there than most people imagine that can supplement your typical 50k salary job. I've installed lighting fixtures, plumbing fixtures, done tile work, cut grass, painting etc.

Also one thing I have come to learn about side work is that it is much easier to get ahead and make more money with like minded people who can pool their labour or ideas and get big projects done. I lean on my cousins and friends who like to collab wherever possible and help each other find work. If you know someone who is good at something, ask to work with them to learn new skills.

Anyways I hope I don't sound like I am virtue signalling etc because I am legit just trying to throw some ideas out there for anyone that might find value. I guess my take away is just because your main gig is a 50k job doesn't mean you can't do other things on the side. Sky is the limit when you do your own thing
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Jordanferras wrote: I worked construction as a teenager during summers in university. I would often organize work with guys outside of regular job (side jobs) during the week and weekends for cash.

I too went down a similar path, but got a Class 1 after spending a season on the rigs, but on service side. $80K was small yearly income several years ago for AB standards. I went back to school and finished my degree right when the COVID-19 pandemic started. I also worked for CEDA but didn't like it too much, though it was a good place to learn and get your feet wet in the oil patch.

I was lucky to find an accounting job 2 days after I graduated. But I have the problem other oil patch workers have: high bills trapping you to the industry. My bills were tied to $83K base salary. I could still have money leftover each month, but now I go into the hole $1500-2000/month until I move up the ladder. I only make $5x,xxx / year, but I was more fortunate than many of my peers. Non-designated uni grads across many fields, are happy to see $40K.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
I just realized I haven't shared, so here goes:

Full-time career begins with 4 years at same employer:

2011: $44K
2012: $58K
2013: $59K
2014: $62K

In between break from burnout, got let go in 2015, did multiple short term jobs in 2015/2016

2015: $35K
2016: $14K (cashed in on some RRSP investments, don't recommend it in hindsight, but didn't add it to income here)

After reflection on what I wanted to do next, chose the insurance/risk management field to re-start my career again

2017: $42K (started with new employer in January, could not see myself thriving there so switched employers in Q3 2017)
2018: $56K
2019: $62K
2020: $65K - took advantage of 2020 'downturn' (lack of better term) by turning the focus inward through therapy and addressing mental health obstacles that were still holding me back
2021: $72K
2022: $90K (starting new job next month with different employer/learning new skillset.... after four years I'm leaving on good terms, can likely return if I want to, and in a happy space vs. 2015)
Last edited by Guest8827364441 on Oct 3rd, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Maybe I should create a $75k/year thread to accommodate more of you.
Apparently, the ideal income point [according to Lead author and doctoral student in the Department of Psychological Sciences, Andrew T. Jebb] in Canadian funds would be $120,307 for life evaluation and $76,000 to $95,000 for emotional well-being, respectively. It's funny because I have always thought $65K would bring me happiness. Spoiler alert it did not lol (despite that I am still grateful). Having interests outside of work, seeing work distributed equitably amongst my team, supportive colleagues/manager, good vacation time and flexible work arrangements elevate my happiness.
Last edited by Guest8827364441 on Oct 3rd, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4224 posts
5534 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I just realized I haven't shared, so here goes:

In between break from burnout, got let go in 2015, did multiple short term jobs in 2015/2016

2016: $14K (cashed in on some RRSP investments, don't recommend it in hindsight, but didn't add it to income here)

After reflection on what I wanted to do next, chose the insurance/risk management field to re-start my career again

2017: $42K (started with new employer in January, could not see myself thriving there so switched employers in Q3 2017)
2018: $56K
2019: $62K
2020: $65K - took advantage of 2020 'downturn' (lack of better term) by turning the focus inward through therapy and addressing mental health obstacles that were still holding me back
2021: $72K
2022: $90K (starting new job next month with different employer/learning new skillset.... after four years I'm leaving on good terms, can likely return if I want to, and in a happy space vs. 2015)
New role still insurance?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6368 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Walch1102 wrote: This is so sad. You wasted an epic amount of time and money only to land a 50K job. With some grit, you could've gotten that same job without a PhD or even a Masters. Tons of union / govt jobs will give you a combined 6 weeks of paid time.
True. Just apply to be a city bus driver and make 50k off the bat as a trainee and probably 80k within 5 years.
Oct 26, 2019
179 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I just realized I haven't shared, so here goes:

What career did you have before the switch?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1368 posts
1662 upvotes
buhfellow wrote: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/va ... r-position

The pay is even higher than any of the big 5 banks, no education or Canadian experience needed. Wondering if I’m in the wrong job
If the restaurant can afford to pay $25/hour for a dishwasher, then they should be paying their cooks that much, and I doubt cooks get anywhere near that much. There's almost definitely a bait-and-switch going on here.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Does O/T count? If so… i broke $60k!
I have a 5 day work week. I just have to work an extra 2 hours for 4 of those work days. Fully remote job. Work from home… so technically i’m actually using less of my free time.

I might have to start posting in the $100k/yr thread soon.
Because i’m thinking… those hot shots with the fancy jobs. Don’t they work unpaid OT, or have random projects and deadlines they gotta stay late? Like accountants for example.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)