Careers

Your road to the RFD $250k Household Salary. The un-realistic salary discussion thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2024 8:03 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Walch1102 wrote: What are you talking about? GC lottery? We're talking about getting a GC through a work visa as a qualified professional making household income >$250K, not some random shot in the dark.

H1B visa lottery is max 3 times
TN visa has no lottery and it's super easy to get for qualified professionals in most fields

You can go straight to GC from either.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I know tons of people on the TN/H1B visa that is playing the lottery game for GC.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
May 10, 2020
929 posts
1228 upvotes
random pattern wrote: Don’t we already have a visa/TN/H1B/L1 etc. thread?
Yes that’s correct. I think it went into the direction because of the implications that higher salaries are just much easier south of the border. Frankly I am surprised that people who live there, frequent this GTA dominated board.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1637 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
What's the salary range like for a Customer Success Manager?
It's not for a big company by any means, but does have a large global footprint.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I'm not sure what you're talking about. I know tons of people on the TN/H1B visa that is playing the lottery game for GC.
You are confused and obviously don't know what you're talking about.

The green card lottery is a general program open to anyone. The chances of getting a green card through this path is super low.

For anyone who is already employed by a US employer, the path is to get the employer to sponsor them for a GC. This is NOT a lottery. It's basically guaranteed with different wait times depending on country of birth.

I work in the US and know of NO ONE down here on a work visa entering the green card lotto. In fact, lawyers recommend against as it complicates the application.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
2009M5 wrote: What's the salary range like for a Customer Success Manager?
It's not for a big company by any means, but does have a large global footprint.
For what kind of company or industry?

In general for example, those in Bank or Call Center, Customer Service Manager is usually around 50k ish to top 60k ish range,

Even less in Retail, As far as I know, those "manager" in retails store like Wall-Mart, is around $17-18 per hour. or roughly $40k.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 25, 2006
466 posts
59 upvotes
aveave wrote: I hope to join the 250k club one day but for now I recently recently accepted an offer for a new grad software engineer position ~140k total compensation at a FAANG company.
get a high payin spouse then you'd join the club
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
2009M5 wrote: What's the salary range like for a Customer Success Manager?
At Google that job pays >$300K annually. At Microsoft, that job pays about $160K annually. At a bank, that pays about $50K->$70K. The problem is the title doesn't mean anything. The job itself varies drastically. You'll have to be more specific.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
aveave wrote: I hope to join the 250k club one day but for now I recently accepted an offer for a new grad software engineer position ~140k total compensation at a FAANG company.
If you don't mind which city and what stack?
Last edited by comp_freak on Jul 11th, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
angryaudifanatic wrote: At Google that job pays >$300K annually. At Microsoft, that job pays about $160K annually. At a bank, that pays about $50K->$70K. The problem is the title doesn't mean anything. The job itself varies drastically. You'll have to be more specific.
This is very true. I've seen this role go from $50K to well over $100K to start. "Customer Success" is a pretty new area, not to be confused with Customer Service.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
aveave wrote: Its Amazon and Im using mainly Java here even though I never used Java before this.
What did you study? Comp Sci? And you didn't use Java?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aveave wrote: Its Amazon and Im using mainly Java here even though I never used Java before this.
Is this Toronto? 100K + stocks options vest over 4 years if things haven't changed much, right?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Is this Toronto? 100K + stocks options vest over 4 years if things haven't changed much, right?
It's never stock options in big tech. It's restricted stock units or grants.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Jan 12, 2011
272 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Is this Toronto? 100K + stocks options vest over 4 years if things haven't changed much, right?
I've never heard of amazon new grads getting 100k stock grants. Pretty sure they don't even get half that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
I have the opportunity to accept a lateral move (in terms of base salary) from one "big tech" into another "FAANG-ish big tech", in a senior sales-adjacent tech role (not devt) in the GTA.

Much more upside on bonus + RSU than my current situation, which would place me (Household of one+cats) firmly above the 250 threshold... But I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around bonus/RSU as "real" since it's never been a part of my TC in my years of experience. My gut feeling (levels/blind data) is that the opportunity is a bit lowball and I'll have to figure out if/how to push for more.

Anyone else had the opportunity to make a similar move? What were your considerations and thought process and decision? Lots of opportunity for me regardless of TC (the role is a great fit for me.)
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Nov 15, 2016
543 posts
472 upvotes
hoob wrote: I have the opportunity to accept a lateral move (in terms of base salary) from one "big tech" into another "FAANG-ish big tech", in a senior sales-adjacent tech role (not devt) in the GTA.

Much more upside on bonus + RSU than my current situation, which would place me (Household of one+cats) firmly above the 250 threshold... But I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around bonus/RSU as "real" since it's never been a part of my TC in my years of experience. My gut feeling (levels/blind data) is that the opportunity is a bit lowball and I'll have to figure out if/how to push for more.

Anyone else had the opportunity to make a similar move? What were your considerations and thought process and decision? Lots of opportunity for me regardless of TC (the role is a great fit for me.)
I haven't made a switch from big tech, but I've been through the negotiating ring a few times. If your research is pointing to a low-ball offer, counter it on how you feel is appropriate. Push either base or rsus, personally I always go base first and negotiate the rest after. The important thing about bonus/rsu is to be careful how the company operates. For example, at Amazon if your RSUs increased and did an amazing year, then your bonus is lower as the manager justify this increase as part of your bonus etc. I've heard some strange stories around that in big tech. The important thing is professional growth with the comp and it looks like you've landed both, now it's onto the negotiation phase, best of luck!
May 9, 2012
520 posts
173 upvotes
SF Bay Area
hoob wrote: I have the opportunity to accept a lateral move (in terms of base salary) from one "big tech" into another "FAANG-ish big tech", in a senior sales-adjacent tech role (not devt) in the GTA.

I work for one of the FANG in the Bay area (not Amazon) and bulk of my TC increases over the years is from appreciated RSU. My company gives generous RSU refresh (100k+) every year and some of the grants from 4 years ago has quadruple in value. As the pervious poster has mentioned, Amazon cap your TC if it's exceeding your targeted TC due stock appreciation. Meaning if Amazon stock goes up a lot in one year, you might not getting any raise/RSU refresh. For most of the FAANG (not Netflix), RSU is how you are going to get paid, so if base is comparable to your current job, you should do quite well as far as TC is concerned.

The easiest way to negotiate is to have multiple offers; otherwise, you are the mercy of the recruiter. However, if it's a great role, I would jump regardless of TC.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
pltz77 wrote: I work for one of the FANG in the Bay area (not Amazon) and bulk of my TC increases over the years is from appreciated RSU. My company gives generous RSU refresh (100k+) every year and some of the grants from 4 years ago has quadruple in value. As the pervious poster has mentioned, Amazon cap your TC if it's exceeding your targeted TC due stock appreciation. Meaning if Amazon stock goes up a lot in one year, you might not getting any raise/RSU refresh. For most of the FAANG (not Netflix), RSU is how you are going to get paid, so if base is comparable to your current job, you should do quite well as far as TC is concerned.

The easiest way to negotiate is to have multiple offers; otherwise, you are the mercy of the recruiter. However, if it's a great role, I would jump regardless of TC.
Funny, was with some friends last night and one is in tech with his company being bought out closing soon. And was talking about his payout and the 4 year thing. Then after closing, it's going from medium enterprise to big big company which he doesn't like so was mulling over it. And these RSU if u take it entices you to stay. So debating about staying in a big company to collect his next set of RSU.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback. It's not Amazon. Based on more research I feel the most discretion is in RSU, and will push on that a bit/lot. Though really not much data for typical (sufficient sample size realistic expectations and DP) RSUs *in Canada* and all the numbers are tainted by US numbers and numbers for different roles (almost everything is about SWE/SDE type roles!!)

TBH it's not really about the money/lifestyle, but I wouldn't want to make a big change and feel I've left reasonable money on the table; it would just nag nag nag me.

The recruiter stated the role level that was the higher of the two levels at which I feel I am right at transition point (ie offer was not down-levelled.) But pragmatically, I think I am probably placed at the low end of that higher level, and the offer reflects that. Presuming that I perform to expectation+, any thoughts on if the progression within mid-upper level is more apt to have reasonable increases and refreshers?
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses