Parenting & Family

Your take on kindergarten kids school playground photo and video taking.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 6:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3110 posts
1814 upvotes

Your take on kindergarten kids school playground photo and video taking.

One of my kids just started kindergarten. What is your take on other parents taking pictures or videos of their kids inside the playground, when they line up to enter the school. Obviously, with covid19 precautions, parents are not allowed inside the school perimeters. Wife was taking pictures or videos and was approached by a teacher or employee. The person stated not to take pictures of the children. Wife did not know if that was law, or just school policy. She just wanted to keep documenting our child's life. Well Canada is not like the USA where filming is a protected constitutional act. So people in USA can film out in the open public accessible area legally. Here the only info I could find was here saying most of canada is ok except Quebec.
Here was something I found on reddit for reference.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/photography/co ... awsrights/

What is your position? Have you been stopped when you took pictures of your first child attending kindy?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
cristianosham wrote: One of my kids just started kindergarten. What is your take on other parents taking pictures or videos of their kids inside the playground, when they line up to enter the school. Obviously, with covid19 precautions, parents are not allowed inside the school perimeters. Wife was taking pictures or videos and was approached by a teacher or employee. The person stated not to take pictures of the children. Wife did not know if that was law, or just school policy. She just wanted to keep documenting our child's life. Well Canada is not like the USA where filming is a protected constitutional act. So people in USA can film out in the open public accessible area legally. Here the only info I could find was here saying most of canada is ok except Quebec.

What is your position? Have you been stopped when you took pictures of your first child attending kindy?
Probably policy

When my son was in skate club. When we tried to take pictures during his practice, club staff told us no pictures

I guess the concern is certainly you care your kid, but in your pictures, of course it will include other kids and you technically don't have consent from their parents for including their kids
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19846 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: One of my kids just started kindergarten. What is your take on other parents taking pictures or videos of their kids inside the playground, when they line up to enter the school. Obviously, with covid19 precautions, parents are not allowed inside the school perimeters. Wife was taking pictures or videos and was approached by a teacher or employee. The person stated not to take pictures of the children. Wife did not know if that was law, or just school policy. She just wanted to keep documenting our child's life. Well Canada is not like the USA where filming is a protected constitutional act. So people in USA can film out in the open public accessible area legally. Here the only info I could find was here saying most of canada is ok except Quebec.

School grounds are not considered public property.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3110 posts
1814 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: School grounds are not considered public property.
Well the wife was in the park which is enclosed by the playground fence. So she was just peering through the fence for her picture taking. Parks to my knowledge is public and anyone has access to it I agree if she was in school playground territory then it is debatable if public. It is a public school, so our school taxes pay for it, so is it private?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8997 posts
10420 upvotes
Vancouver
cristianosham wrote: Well the wife was in the park which is enclosed by the playground fence. So she was just peering through the fence for her picture taking. Parks to my knowledge is public and anyone has access to it I agree if she was in school playground territory then it is debatable if public. It is a public school, so our school taxes pay for it, so is it private?
Just because your taxes pay for it doesn't mean it's a public space. Our taxes pay for military bases too but that doesn't give us the right to march in and take pictures of anything we want. So is this park your wife was in part of school property? Or is it a public park. Big difference. As long as you're physically standing in public property, you can take pictures of schools and anything else while standing there. See Google doing it: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2427734 ... 384!8i8192
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In our Montessori, we’re not allowed to take pictures , concern is due to no consent from other kids and parents. We had to sign a consent form for the teachers to take pictures of our kid, and typically the frame only has one kid in it. No one’s allowed to get a copy of any group shot, but they do display them at the front door.

And I like it that way - I’m neurotic about my kid’s picture being on the internet, and I actually had to ask my in-laws and my parents to NOT post anything on social media.

So I guess since there’s no way for the school staff to ensure your wife’s pictures only has your kid in the frame, it’s easiest to just say no pictures.

Can you guys do pictures farther away? Make sure just your kid is visible in the frame?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19846 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: Well the wife was in the park which is enclosed by the playground fence. So she was just peering through the fence for her picture taking. Parks to my knowledge is public and anyone has access to it I agree if she was in school playground territory then it is debatable if public. It is a public school, so our school taxes pay for it, so is it private?
Come on man, you know the difference.
How about passing the phone to your kid to take a selfie?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Come on man, you know the difference.
How about passing the phone to your kid to take a selfie?
And he accidentally dropped iPhone 11 and you lost 1000+.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33995 posts
19846 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: And he accidentally dropped iPhone 11 and you lost 1000+.
Sacrifices are necessary to capture the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Sacrifices are necessary to capture the moment.
Except you store the moment in your memory instead of phone memory, but might still worth it. Remember the moment forever:)
Jun 12, 2008
979 posts
426 upvotes
Ripley
Don't. You don't know if that other child in the background has escaped from an abusive parent and is living in a shelter. You can't say that abusive parent won't somehow come across that picture on the internet and find where their child goes to school. Same goes for adults. Keep this in mind when your kid has their first concert and you want to take videos and pictures and post them on social media. Take pictures of just your child before or after. Don't post pictures or videos with other people in them. Ever.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1775 posts
1114 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

When my kids were in kindy (few years back), the policy was you can only take a picture of your child, there could be no way there were other child in the back. This is policy. We even had an incident where a father had a big camera and was sneaking some pictures on the side. No one knew who he was, and there as a child involved in custody battle or something. Some one took down the license plate, called the police, and they found him. Asked to see his pictures, it was of his son and some other kids. He was asked to deleted the ones that had the other kids in it or get the parents permission. I realize this case was weird, because the dad was looking suspicious inside his car with a big @$$ camera.

There are also privacy laws around pictures, but generally if you asking pictures of your own kid, and not posting anywhere on line or sending them, it would be a problem. Generally, one should ask. I took a pic of my kids friend on the first day because he had the biggest sign’ and was quite proud, his parents weren’t there at drop off. So I took the picture (I asked the friend) then texted the mom to tell her what I did, and ask if was alright, if not, I would delete. I sent it to her and then deleted it anyways. I use this process for any kids that I take a picture of that isn’t mine with girl guides. I don’t post anything or send to anyone unless all parents are okay with it.
[/quote

Hospitals are also paid with public tax dollars, that doesn’t give any one the right to photograph what they want. Our school playgrounds are condensed private when school is on. Schools have the right to ask people to leave when school is in session. Any child on a school playground during those times is under tape care of the school. They have the right to ask someone not to take pictures even if the person is on a public street. It would be like someone trying to take a picture of your in your backyard while on the street . It doesn’t matter that your wife is in a public place, you child was not.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Sep 6th, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Aug 31, 2014
308 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
And I may get flamed for pivoting this thread, but since this is a parenting forum....

How about this is a good opportunity to teach your kid about consent? We should ask if others are comfortable with our actions if it impacts them. And you may think your guys taking a picture doesn’t impact others, but this thread has explained how it *could* impact others, so we should be considerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
Two contradictory things that to me are very obvious.
One absolutely if you are not on school grounds in a public area (with possible exception of a city park that has the same rule) no school employee has the right to tell you to stop filming. I also find it ridiculous. That said, this is a school policy, probably because some parents are weirded out by it, and yes some paranoia, but it's school policy. You really don't want to be finding some loophole and pisssing off the staff at your kids school.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3110 posts
1814 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Two contradictory things that to me are very obvious.
One absolutely if you are not on school grounds in a public area (with possible exception of a city park that has the same rule) no school employee has the right to tell you to stop filming. I also find it ridiculous. That said, this is a school policy, probably because some parents are weirded out by it, and yes some paranoia, but it's school policy. You really don't want to be finding some loophole and pisssing off the staff at your kids school.

Very interesting read that brings back the case of Robert Dziekanski, a Polish man who died after being tasered by RCMP officers at the Vancouver airport in 2007. So it is not illegal to film in public as long as you are not doing any illegal acts. What is legal, what is policy, and what is feelings are 3 different things.

https://pencanada.ca/blog/public-photog ... 20entering.

Now filming with a dash cam, is that legal? What if you record some kids crossing a stoplight on an intersection? Drive into a private underground parking? In your condo parking spot? Do you need consent from everyone in your footage?