• Feb 12th, 2018 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12267 posts
1985 upvotes
Vancouver

YouTube error daily limit exceeded? kodi

Using Kodi I keep getting the error “daily limit exceeded” I can never watch anything.

I googled and found a solution posted...does NOT work.

Anyone know how to resolve this?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4582 upvotes
Alberta
Mine does the same thing an my ATV2 and can’t figure it out.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12267 posts
1985 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh so I’m not alone. I tried someth8ng that was suppose to stop the error. No luck.

Oh welll
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6007 posts
1301 upvotes
Montreal
That's been an issue for years. One way I've gotten around it which works sometimes is to sign out. If that doesn't work, I sign back in with a different account ID. I can't really say that it works 100% but it does work often for me. Also, when I do that, I sometimes have to go through the setup wizard again where I have to give permission to the 2 apps to control YouTube.

At this point, I just use an YouTube app outside of Kodi because it's not worth the PITA.
Phils
Jan 3, 2013
503 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
The solution that will fix it for good is to get your own API keys from Google. In the Youtube add-on settings>API>Enable personal API keys. They are free and anyone can get their own. Because they are free they do have a daily limit and the youtube add-on only has a set number it can use. Once those hit their daily limit users get the error limit “daily limit exceeded".

The original youtube add-on only had one set of keys. Later others added more to try to fix this problem but overtime with more users those couldn't handle the searches and that version also started to give the same error. Figure 30 minutes depending on your skill level to figure it out but it isn't hard if you just follow the instructions and take your time.

Google: kodi youtube api keys

I think these instructions are correct:
https://www.howtogeek.com/273956/how-to ... d-problem/
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4686 posts
4762 upvotes
Vancouver
Brian79 wrote: The solution that will fix it for good is to get your own API keys from Google.
This is correct. Google has a policy now of limiting access to some of their free services by this api key method. A developer who releases an app using one of Google's free services like Youtube or Google Maps can either default the api key or use their own, but in either case users of their app will run into this limit. The option then is for the end user to get their own individual api key from Google, and enter it into the app - if the developer has allowed for that. Then Google can track the individual user's activity, which is what they want.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4582 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks Brian79. I looked at the instructions, too hard and time consuming for me. Screw Kodi, it’s easier just to watch it on my Samsung Tab S Tablet.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12267 posts
1985 upvotes
Vancouver
Ya I find this so bizarre. It gives that message anytime I try using it. I can’t even watch one video lol.

Gonna delete it. FU Kodi and YouTube. :)
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10027 posts
4163 upvotes
Even when I used Kodi. I never thought to use YouTube within kodi. I just used the app available to everyone.

Why use it within kodi? I must be missing something....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12267 posts
1985 upvotes
Vancouver
Because its there with the other addons. Convenience.
Jan 3, 2013
503 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
Gutty96 wrote: Even when I used Kodi. I never thought to use YouTube within kodi. I just used the app available to everyone.

Why use it within kodi? I must be missing something....
Because I am running a Raspberry Pi 3 running OSMC so I don't have another youtube app to use on my Pi.
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10027 posts
4163 upvotes
Brian79 wrote: Because I am running a Raspberry Pi 3 running OSMC so I don't have another youtube app to use on my Pi.
Ahhhh. Gotcha.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6007 posts
1301 upvotes
Montreal
Also, the interface of the Youtube add-on in Kodi is quite different than the normal YouTube app. Depending on what you're doing, it can be very efficient.
Phils
Aug 4, 2003
921 posts
181 upvotes
Edmonton
the youtube app on kodi is not officially done by youtube, thats why you get that error. it does not produce any ad's when watching videos. getting your own API keys isnt very difficult.