Expired Hot Deals

[Yubico] Expired: Buy two YubiKey 5 hardware security keys, get the third YubiKey 5 NFC free

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2020 2:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 18, 2003
1705 posts
186 upvotes
Winnipeg

Expired: Buy two YubiKey 5 hardware security keys, get the third YubiKey 5 NFC free

Deal Link:
Savings:
$45
Expiry:
March 31, 2020
Retailer:
Yubico
Yubico is running a promotion right now. If you buy two Yubikey 5 series keys, you get a 5 NFC free. You need to add the 5 NFC to your cart but it will have the discount automatically applied. The 5 NFC is $45 USD. It seems to stack with the 20% education discount from (Chrome/ad-blocking may interfere): https://www.yubico.com/solutions/industries/education/

You might need to use a different browser to be able to fill in the info, Chrome didn't let me enter information even with ad-blocking disabled.

https://www.yubico.com/store/worldbackupday

Regular prices, add any two:
YubiKey 5 NFC $45
YubiKey 5 Nano $50
YubiKey 5C $50
YubiKey 5C Nano $60
YubiKey 5Ci $70

Not everywhere supports hardware token 2FA but it's nice to have. OpenSSH 8.2 now supports U2F directly instead of using a GPG key on the Yubikey.
Last edited by ragin_pyro on Apr 1st, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
47 replies
Newbie
Oct 26, 2011
87 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
ragin_pyro wrote: Yubico is running a promotion right now. If you buy two Yubikey 5 series keys, you get a 5 NFC free. You need to add the 5 NFC to your cart but it will have the discount automatically applied. The 5 NFC is $45 USD. It seems to stack with the 20% education discount from: https://www.yubico.com/solutions/industries/education/

You might need to use a different browser to be able to fill in the info, Chrome didn't let me enter information even with ad-blocking disabled.

https://www.yubico.com/store/worldbackupday

Regular prices, add any two:
YubiKey 5 NFC $45
YubiKey 5 Nano $50
YubiKey 5C $50
YubiKey 5C Nano $60
YubiKey 5Ci $70

Not everywhere supports hardware token 2FA but it's nice to have. OpenSSH 8.2 now supports U2F directly instead of using a GPG key on the Yubikey.
There is a certain grace to just pressing a single 'key' to run what is essentially a keyboard and spit out some characters or run a U2F signing, but each and every time you press the button, perhaps by accident, a bunch of garbled text shows up. Better is to actually have something pin-locked. This https://onlykey.io/ is better in almost every way, except for size.

You must pin-unlock this before you work it. It holds 24 accounts, all NOT in your computer. Yubikey holds 2. I have more than 2 important accounts.

It's my opinion that if your accounts are important enough to need 2FA, then it should be done properly.

Let me know if you know of a bank that offers ANY kind of 2FA that isn't SMS, please.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
I have a couple of these. the 5c Nano and 5 NFC. Work as advertised and simple to setup with Lastpass. The one negative --- it's bit annoying getting logged out of my browser when I exit. I have to retype master password and press yubikey again. . Even when I click remember computer for 30 day it doens't remember. I think it has to do with cookies that I automatically clear after every browser use but haven't looked at it too closely so not sure. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 20, 2017
177 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
Where are you guys using these? I got one Titan on boxing day but, besides my google accounts, I did not find many places to use it. Seems like everyone is offering 2FA via authenticator apps. Paypal included.
most things haven't worked out
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5298 posts
4293 upvotes
contva wrote: Where are you guys using these? I got one Titan on boxing day but, besides my google accounts, I did not find many places to use it. Seems like everyone is offering 2FA via authenticator apps. Paypal included.
I got the Google titan key as well and set it up wherever it's available but there's lots of services like LastPass, Microsoft/windows hello that don't work with it so I've been thinking of getting a YubiKey to pair with it, I guess now is the perfect time for that.

Some apps still don't work if you have 2fa via sec key enabled so that's pretty annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5298 posts
4293 upvotes
ragin_pyro wrote: Yubico is running a promotion right now. If you buy two Yubikey 5 series keys, you get a 5 NFC free. You need to add the 5 NFC to your cart but it will have the discount automatically applied. The 5 NFC is $45 USD. It seems to stack with the 20% education discount from: https://www.yubico.com/solutions/industries/education/

You might need to use a different browser to be able to fill in the info, Chrome didn't let me enter information even with ad-blocking disabled.

https://www.yubico.com/store/worldbackupday

Regular prices, add any two:
YubiKey 5 NFC $45
YubiKey 5 Nano $50
YubiKey 5C $50
YubiKey 5C Nano $60
YubiKey 5Ci $70

Not everywhere supports hardware token 2FA but it's nice to have. OpenSSH 8.2 now supports U2F directly instead of using a GPG key on the Yubikey.
There doesn't appear to be a working link to sign up on that page.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 18, 2003
1705 posts
186 upvotes
Winnipeg
GerardOD wrote: There is a certain grace to just pressing a single 'key' to run what is essentially a keyboard and spit out some characters or run a U2F signing, but each and every time you press the button, perhaps by accident, a bunch of garbled text shows up. Better is to actually have something pin-locked. This https://onlykey.io/ is better in almost every way, except for size.

You must pin-unlock this before you work it. It holds 24 accounts, all NOT in your computer. Yubikey holds 2. I have more than 2 important accounts.

It's my opinion that if your accounts are important enough to need 2FA, then it should be done properly.

Let me know if you know of a bank that offers ANY kind of 2FA that isn't SMS, please.
You can disable or change timing of touch. Can't hold the accounts though.

CIBC offers email, HSBC offers an app or their own hardware HOTP generator. I think EQ does email but it might not be every login.
contva wrote: Where are you guys using these? I got one Titan on boxing day but, besides my google accounts, I did not find many places to use it. Seems like everyone is offering 2FA via authenticator apps. Paypal included.
They're gaining traction but it's usually more tech companies that support them. If you use Dropbox, they support them. You can use them to protect some software TOTP so to get the code you need the Yubikey. Or protect a password database.
I'm happy about using them for SSH keys.

This can show what a site supports:
https://twofactorauth.org/
Gtaphotog wrote: There doesn't appear to be a working link to sign up on that page.
My comment below says ad-blocking or Chrome can interfere. I've tried moving it up.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
3189 posts
890 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
ragin_pyro wrote: You can disable or change timing of touch. Can't hold the accounts though.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I didn't know about the ability to change the timing which is super handy as I leave my Nano in my Macbook and hit it frequently when carrying the MacBook around.

Are there any other customizations I should be looking at? I had never used the personalization tool until 5 minutes ago and can't help but wonder what else I'm not aware of.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
196 posts
17 upvotes
needybot wrote: I have a couple of these. the 5c Nano and 5 NFC. Work as advertised and simple to setup with Lastpass. The one negative --- it's bit annoying getting logged out of my browser when I exit. I have to retype master password and press yubikey again. . Even when I click remember computer for 30 day it doens't remember. I think it has to do with cookies that I automatically clear after every browser use but haven't looked at it too closely so not sure. Anyone else have any experience with this?
I have had this issue as well for the last moth or so.
Sr. Member
Feb 22, 2013
732 posts
583 upvotes
needybot wrote: I have a couple of these. the 5c Nano and 5 NFC. Work as advertised and simple to setup with Lastpass. The one negative --- it's bit annoying getting logged out of my browser when I exit. I have to retype master password and press yubikey again. . Even when I click remember computer for 30 day it doens't remember. I think it has to do with cookies that I automatically clear after every browser use but haven't looked at it too closely so not sure. Anyone else have any experience with this?
This is the problem with security. High security means highly inconvenient. Low security typically very convenient.
Member
Jun 8, 2007
374 posts
495 upvotes
BC
I have the 5 NFC, and I think it's great. I've used Google's Titan, but I like the compactness of the Yubikey, and it seems to be very durable.
I use it for MFA only. I typically use it with USB, but I have used the NFC function a few times to authenticate thru my phone.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4071 posts
1263 upvotes
GTA
contva wrote: Where are you guys using these? I got one Titan on boxing day but, besides my google accounts, I did not find many places to use it. Seems like everyone is offering 2FA via authenticator apps. Paypal included.
BitWarden supports U2F keys like the Titan on its web vault. But yeah.. other than that, support is pretty limited.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 18, 2003
1705 posts
186 upvotes
Winnipeg
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for the heads up on that. I didn't know about the ability to change the timing which is super handy as I leave my Nano in my Macbook and hit it frequently when carrying the MacBook around.

Are there any other customizations I should be looking at? I had never used the personalization tool until 5 minutes ago and can't help but wonder what else I'm not aware of.
Not particularly. The other one is GPG keys if you encrypted email or signed stuff you can drop them in other slots.
Honestly, it's the native SSH key support in openSSH 8.2 I'm the most stoked about. Can always have a private key on you regardless of the device you're using. GPG keys for SSH was doable but more cumbersome.
Newbie
Mar 23, 2017
65 posts
39 upvotes
Tutonaguy
GerardOD wrote: You must pin-unlock this before you work it. It holds 24 accounts, all NOT in your computer. Yubikey holds 2. I have more than 2 important accounts.
you got me interested, thanks!

I did some research and here is what I found....
Correct is that OnlyKey provides up to 24 keys/accounts. This is because there are 2 states of each button, long press and short press, 6 buttons and 2 profiles (2 different pins to unlock the key***). 2x2x6=24. And this is a total number of slots. In the user's guide in the section https://docs.crp.to/usersguide.html#sec ... y-advanced they even gave an example of what can be added in these slots. One of these are U2F or just other OTP codes.
For the yubikey 5 NFC (and some other types of model 5) their page says there is a place for 2 OTP but additional 32 OATH codes and unlimited U2F keys. I can't see any information in the OnlyKey pages.

Very informative U2F logics are described in


***there is also a pin to self destruct. It seems to be a great feature, but at the same point, they offer a backup that will easily restore the keys. And here is where I feel a huge sadness. The U2F keypairs should not be exportable. If you could export the private key, it would be easy to replicate the memory of the USB device to the other key. Ok for the backup you need to unlock the device but still... Yubikey keeps the U2F certificates in the internal memory and they are not exportable as I read on their page https://support.yubico.com/support/solu ... a-yubikey-
Newbie
Oct 3, 2018
29 posts
47 upvotes
GerardOD wrote:
Let me know if you know of a bank that offers ANY kind of 2FA that isn't SMS, please.
HSBC Bank Canada has 2FA, along with all the other HSBC group entities.

None use SMS for 2FA. I wish every bank and credit union in Canada offered proper 2FA.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)