Yubico Yubikey 5 Series

Deal Link:
Savings:
~20%
Expiry:
December 2, 2019
Retailer:
Yubico
Yubico has a $20 off two yubikeys sale. If you are buying $400 worth, you can get $100 off. These are probably the gold standard for authentication hardware keys.
45 replies
Oct 22, 2001
329 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
It seems Amazon.ca is about the same price? Won't we have to pay in USD + shipping + customs when it's straight from Yubico?

https://www.amazon.ca/stores/node/19740 ... 9740785011
Turning off all RFD notifications... because all of it is eating up the 1̶0̶ 12 GB I got from Koodo.
Jan 2, 2010
447 posts
154 upvotes
Why can’t they make a nfc enabled usbc key? So frustrating.
Aug 8, 2019
342 posts
197 upvotes
Can anyone explain simply how this is used? I read the yubikey website but it is not explained, or I couldn't understand.
I understand why hardware authentication is more secure than a password, but I don't understand how it works with different logins I have.
Example:
How do I use it to login to my bank account online?
How do I use it to login to RFD?
How do I use it to login to two different Google accounts, do I need 2 keys?
How do I use it to login to Steam at my friend's place?
Jun 7, 2007
324 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
jase wrote: It seems Amazon.ca is about the same price? Won't we have to pay in USD + shipping + customs when it's straight from Yubico?

https://www.amazon.ca/stores/node/19740 ... 9740785011
I get $70 USD + $10 USD shipping, which works out to ~$108 CAD versus $118 CAD + tax at Amazon. The wildcard is customs, but if they come in via USPS and don't get hit you do see a decent amount of savings. Amazon's a good option if you don't like uncertainty, though.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1502 posts
92 upvotes
chrominance wrote: I get $70 USD + $10 USD shipping, which works out to ~$108 CAD versus $118 CAD + tax at Amazon. The wildcard is customs, but if they come in via USPS and don't get hit you do see a decent amount of savings. Amazon's a good option if you don't like uncertainty, though.
I got docked 2 different times even though it came from USPS to Canada Post.

Yubico actually submits a form to Canada Post ahead of time letting them know it's an item not made in Canada.

So expect duties fees, as I was charged on 2 different orders through this year.
The fees were not cheap, tack on another $30 to your price.
GamerzPlace
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1717 posts
240 upvotes
Winnipeg
harryt wrote: I got docked 2 different times even though it came from USPS to Canada Post.

Yubico actually submits a form to Canada Post ahead of time letting them know it's an item not made in Canada.

So expect duties fees, as I was charged on 2 different orders through this year.
For just two?

That's unfortunate...

Edit: Wait, it'll be below the de minimis threshold.
They could still charge taxes+$10 handling though.
Jun 7, 2007
324 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
harryt wrote: I got docked 2 different times even though it came from USPS to Canada Post.

Oof. That's helpful, guess I'll stick to Amazon if I want these. Thanks!
Nov 11, 2013
398 posts
65 upvotes
Mine shipped yesterday with USPS. If i get dinged customs, I will return it asap or deny package and buy from amazon.
Paid $85 USD with shipping = $113 CAD
For 2 items.
Aug 28, 2005
360 posts
82 upvotes
roleless wrote: Can anyone explain simply how this is used? I read the yubikey website but it is not explained, or I couldn't understand.
I understand why hardware authentication is more secure than a password, but I don't understand how it works with different logins I have.
Example:
How do I use it to login to my bank account online?
How do I use it to login to RFD?
How do I use it to login to two different Google accounts, do I need 2 keys?
How do I use it to login to Steam at my friend's place?
One of the main applications as far as I've understood it is to use it as a second factor for your authentication. So then to log into an account that supports it, you would need both your password and the YubiKey physically present to log in. The idea is that you cannot log in with only your password (something you know) or only with the YubiKey (something you have). You need both at the same time. This makes it more difficult for someone to access your account even if they know your password because they would have to physically obtain your YubiKey before they can log in. Similarly, if someone stole your YubiKey but did not know your password, they could not log into your account either.

If you've used other two-factor authentication systems before (a common one is where you have to enter a numeric code generated by your phone or a physical token in addition your password), this is another type of second factor (e.g. you can setup your accounts to use this instead of using a one-time password generated on your phone).