533 upvotes
Winnipeg

Yubikey sale

Deal Link:
Savings:
50%
Retailer:
Yubico
Get 50% OFF a YubiKey 5 NFC and YubiKey 5C NFC + $10 shipping. Limit two (2) per order.

First time I've seen the 5C on sale.

Use coupon code: BRAVE50 at checkout*
Last edited by cipher on Aug 26th, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
*Coupon Promotion Terms:

This coupon will expire on August 26, 2021 at 11:59pm PT and is valid only at Yubico.com/store.
This redemption is valid for 50% off two keys, including YubiKey 5 NFC and YubiKey 5C NFC.
Keys procured with this redemption are Not For Resale.
A maximum of two keys may be present in the cart for this coupon to work.
No other products from the Yubico store may be present in the cart. (note: Style covers appear to be allowed with order)
Redemption code cannot be combined with other offers or redemption codes.
Standard shipping and handling rates may apply. International shipments may be subject to customs fees and duties.
Yubico reserves the right to cancel and refund orders associated with this discount code. No cash or value for code or product. Redemption code required at time of checkout.
225 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
2138 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
I have a YubiKEy given to me from my previous employer. No idea how to use it lol
If you're seeing this message, it means I cared enough to downvote or felt the need to upvote. Either way you get a👎/ 👍 so be grateful that your thread is being bumped
Dec 16, 2017
173 posts
150 upvotes
Seeing as this ships from the states, any idea if we will be charged tax/duty on this? I'm not overly familiar with the rules. Ordered 2x 5 NFS models which comes to 45USD + 10USD shipping.
Sep 18, 2020
170 posts
369 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: Is the extra premium compared to Google Titan key worth it?
I have no idea. I'm quite new to security keys and I just use Bitwarden premium + 1x Feitian ePass K9 + 1x Yubikey 5 NFC. On my local device, I only have to re-enter my master password (greater than 24 characters long so I think it's enough) on my local devices, with the security keys only being required on new devices.
Mar 26, 2012
220 posts
286 upvotes
Mississauga
DealsHunterCo wrote: I have a YubiKEy given to me from my previous employer. No idea how to use it lol
Do you know what two factor authentication is? You have probably seen it in various forms, like when you sign in and it prompts you from another device to accept the login (I know Samsung and Apple does this by default), or when you try signing in to somewhere and it texts you back a code.

This YubiKey is the same thing, except it comes in a hardware form. So as long as you have this yubikey connected, you can use it as that second form of authentication, to prevent access to your accounts / services without that key. Not everything accepts YubiKey or other hardware based ones.

Personally, I am using the Kenningston Mark II Fingerprint reader, which works with Windows Hello. I like the simplicity of signing in with the fingerprint, and my USB sits in a very easy to reach but visibly discrete place.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA
The yubikeys support more and newer standards. But if all you're doing is securing your Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc accounts, the titan is just fine.

Titan supports FIDO but yubikeys support FIDO2

But for this price, you might as well just get the yubikey if you don't already have either of them.

And it's always recommended to have two keys; one as a backup
Last edited by Dave98 on Aug 26th, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 15, 2019
155 posts
240 upvotes
Ordered 5c and 5 both. Thanks my fellow redflag member.
Nov 27, 2015
92 posts
205 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
What's so special about Yubico key? I am confused and curious about it.
Mar 26, 2012
220 posts
286 upvotes
Mississauga
This could be subject to change, but the Google Titan works with FIDO standard and webauth, so if you only plan to use it for online accounts, there is virtually no difference.

The Yubikey supports other technologies, like SSH, Git etc.

At the current price, of 50% off, you can nearly get 2 for the price of one Google Titan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4924 posts
533 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sazerac wrote: Seeing as this ships from the states, any idea if we will be charged tax/duty on this? I'm not overly familiar with the rules. Ordered 2x 5 NFS models which comes to 45USD + 10USD shipping.
I would think no. The package says made in Sweden/USA. So I don't think there will be duty. As for taxes, probably not since the price is fairly "low".
Feb 25, 2007
311 posts
177 upvotes
I have two Yubikey 5's. Besides using it as a plug in 2FA, you can use it to store OTP codes if the service you use doesn't support it as a security key. So instead of using your phone for OTP, you can have it on these keys. You just need to download the Yubico Authenticator. This way I have my OTP codes on two keys. Going to buy two USB c ones, I only have the regular USB ones.
Nov 18, 2017
25 posts
53 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks, I've been meaning to get one for a while. I'm excited to set it up with Bit Warden.
Aug 26, 2010
33 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Been using yukibeys for a few years now, and would recommend. Wish adoption of physical authentication keys was more widespread, but for the services that do support them they're so easy to use. Also I have one of mine on a keychain that gets jostled around quite a bit and after two years it has some wear and tear on the outside but still works flawlessly.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10266 posts
19021 upvotes
Montreal
RedStrikeCa wrote: At one point there was a pricing error on the Google store and I managed to snag the Titan key for $1!
... and that is pertinent to this thread because ...
Mar 26, 2012
220 posts
286 upvotes
Mississauga
JustinK29893 wrote: I have no idea. I'm quite new to security keys and I just use Bitwarden premium + 1x Feitian ePass K9 + 1x Yubikey 5 NFC. On my local device, I only have to re-enter my master password (greater than 24 characters long so I think it's enough) on my local devices, with the security keys only being required on new devices.
Anything over 12 characters, that contains a mixture of complex characters is more than sufficient. There is some movement towards using passphrases, so long sentences rather than caring as much about complexity. So to each their own. Everyone should be taking their security seriously, so it's good to see these devices being more widely adopted.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9179 posts
8419 upvotes
Temporel wrote: ... and that is pertinent to this thread because ...
This one time at band camp......
Mar 15, 2008
337 posts
211 upvotes
Thanks, Ive been putting something like this off for far too long.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA
sgtwaffles wrote: Thanks, I've been meaning to get one for a while. I'm excited to set it up with Bit Warden.
Just remember you need to be on BitWarden Premium to be able to use hardware keys.