[OP]
Dec 3, 2011
781 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver

BOSE Soundlink Mini-$139.97 HOT?

Deal Link:
Price:
Never ordered from this site but was researching on Bluetooth speakers and heard bose soundlink mini isn't bad. Looked on CNET's review and they advertised this on their prices page.
It SEEMS like a hot deal but again, I don't really know about how reliable this site or the product is. If anybody has any insight or experience with this, I'd appreciate it

Images
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2450 posts
913 upvotes
North York
Kherani wrote: It says refurb.
I wonder what goes wrong with these things? Probably occasionally a broken speaker and sometimes battery prematurely expires? Not in the market for this but seems like a great deal to me. Used speakers already broken in generally sound better.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1544 posts
598 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Can't comment on the refurb part, but I have had this speaker for a couple of years now and it's fantastic. I use it under my computer monitor, and also out back with Bluetooth for music in the summer. I tried it along with several other Bluetooth speakers similar in size and the Bose sounded much better.
Dec 29, 2003
656 posts
313 upvotes
Montreal
quazy wrote: I wonder what goes wrong with these things? Probably occasionally a broken speaker and sometimes battery prematurely expires? Not in the market for this but seems like a great deal to me. Used speakers already broken in generally sound better.

My wife once bought me the Bose acoustimass home theater setup directly from Bose. After opening the box and becoming horrified with the proprietary cables and disliking the sound I called Bose and after some arguing, got them to accept returning it (by the way they advertise being able to return it, but will still argue with you if you try).
Anyway I'm sure these are the vast majority of units sold as refurbs. Not broken, but opened and returned. My experience with refurbs has always been good.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1184 posts
572 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Why's it so cold in here?????
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1536 posts
1331 upvotes
Pallet Town
I used to have one of these before I gave it away as a gift. Great little speaker, the sound quality was very impressive considering how small the speaker is. My only complaint was the proprietary charging cable, but that was fixed in the second version
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2334 posts
1052 upvotes
Edmonton
Okay - just saying it's a great price, but in US dollars.
Jun 16, 2015
74 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
walleye*guy wrote: Okay - just saying it's a great price, but in US dollars.
Yes and also doesn't ship to Canada and if they did the speaker once converted to Canadian $ with shipping cost would cost more than the price of a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2334 posts
1052 upvotes
Edmonton
testerdennis wrote: Yes and also doesn't ship to Canada and if they did the speaker once converted to Canadian $ with shipping cost would cost more than the price of a new one.
As a new one is 219.99 - 249.99, I think if they did ship to Canada it would be a significant savings. As they don't ship, the point is moot
Jun 16, 2015
74 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
walleye*guy wrote: As a new one is 219.99 - 249.99, I think if they did ship to Canada it would be a significant savings. As they don't ship, the point is moot
Im just saying it definitely would not be free shipping to Canada from the US $140 converted to Canadian will probably be $185 shipping would prob be $30 or so plus duty plus taxes. I am not trying to argue I am just saying the facts.. This would not be a good deal..
Oct 24, 2013
289 posts
432 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
testerdennis wrote: Im just saying it definitely would not be free shipping to Canada from the US $140 converted to Canadian will probably be $185 shipping would prob be $30 or so plus duty plus taxes. I am not trying to argue I am just saying the facts.. This would not be a good deal..
Yupp

1 Older Model; that too refurb
2 MiniII is 179$ US (219 Cdn usu)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1853 posts
839 upvotes
Scarborough
Also the charging cradle not included.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14356 posts
8236 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I have a 5y old D100 I paid $50 from CanadaComputers and still going strong https://versus.com/en/bose-soundlink-mi ... ative-d100

While BT speakers have evolved, I still prefer BT speakers that use normal AA batteries like the D100. If you do not have a power source, you can just bring extra rechargeables.

Secondly, if it doesn't need to be mobile, I have some higher end outdoor speakers all around my deck, but it's wired to a cheap but quality Pioneer receiver I bought off kijiji, and connected to this:
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/b ... io-adapter. All our tunes then come from our phones/Pandora.
Nov 7, 2011
680 posts
583 upvotes
British Columbia
So I have this speaker. The sound is great for the size, but it has a proprietary charging cable. It will not charge other devices (a feature most of these speakers have) and it does not have a speakerphone (a feature most of these types of speakers have). But if you need a tiny speaker with good sound, this is a nice speaker. If I was in the market though, I would look for something that had more features.
Aug 5, 2011
525 posts
78 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bengoldenberg wrote: So I have this speaker. The sound is great for the size, but it has a proprietary charging cable. It will not charge other devices (a feature most of these speakers have) and it does not have a speakerphone (a feature most of these types of speakers have). But if you need a tiny speaker with good sound, this is a nice speaker. If I was in the market though, I would look for something that had more features.
The new version comes with a speakerphone now. But I also have the old version and it's amazing for what it is. Battery easily last 6 - 7 hours at moderate volume playing off my phone and I use it as a computer speaker when I'm not taking it out to the beach/what not as BT speaker.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3543 posts
2195 upvotes
Kitchener
testerdennis wrote: Im just saying it definitely would not be free shipping to Canada from the US $140 converted to Canadian will probably be $185 shipping would prob be $30 or so plus duty plus taxes. I am not trying to argue I am just saying the facts.. This would not be a good deal..
Yeah, US pricing, direct conversion takes it to $182, so probably closer to $190 Canadian, if they did charge $30 US (so like $40 at least) shipping it makes the deal stone cold, especially since it's a refurb. Pretty sure you can still buy for $219 when it's on sale. (Dell had it for $219 recently)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1853 posts
839 upvotes
Scarborough
bengoldenberg wrote: So I have this speaker. The sound is great for the size, but it has a proprietary charging cable. It will not charge other devices (a feature most of these speakers have) and it does not have a speakerphone (a feature most of these types of speakers have). But if you need a tiny speaker with good sound, this is a nice speaker. If I was in the market though, I would look for something that had more features.
i have the version 2 (carbon) and i believe it addressed most if not all of your issues above.

i also just ordered a silver version for a family member last week from staples. was able to apply a $30 copy and print coupon (from another thread) and a tech $10 coupon received in email for $40 off of the $219 price. also signed up with another email but the extra $10 would not apply. for any one interested in going the staples coupon route there's a $20 coupon mentioned in the staples coupon thread and try to sign up an email for an extra $10 off, rather than refurb of the first gen.