Food & Drink

YVR: best white basmati rice available locally?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 10:37 am
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
564 posts
63 upvotes

YVR: best white basmati rice available locally?

Read previous postings in RFD but confused over the brands. Want to start with a brand that doesn't cause me to say what a waste of money. Or do most basmati brands taste the same? I can go to Costco, Superstore, Walmart or any Indian grocery store
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6274 posts
1032 upvotes
Scarborough
IndiaGate or Chefs Basmati. Also Mughal, Minar brands are good too
Most grocery stores carry them these days
Jun 2, 2012
308 posts
289 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The Kirkland brand in the pink bag is very fragrant. Very.

Some may look for that. I couldn’t handle it and ended up returning.
Jun 2, 2012
308 posts
289 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The Kirkland basmati (pink bag) is not an artificial smell, it just has a very strong almost perfumy basmati smell/taste. But the rice is also aged for a year and the grains were nice and long when cooked which I know are signs of quality. Some may prefer it, but I found it overpowering.

You are protected by the return policy. It is one of only 3 food items I’ve ever returned to Costco over the years.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6664 posts
2955 upvotes
Elephant Brand 817 in the brown burlap sack.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
564 posts
63 upvotes
gemenichic wrote: The Kirkland basmati (pink bag) is not an artificial smell, it just has a very strong almost perfumy basmati smell/taste. But the rice is also aged for a year and the grains were nice and long when cooked which I know are signs of quality. Some may prefer it, but I found it overpowering.

You are protected by the return policy. It is one of only 3 food items I’ve ever returned to Costco over the years.
Saw it at Costco just now. Will try it another time since I bought 817 Elephant on sale in Superstore. I got 2000 points for it as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6664 posts
2955 upvotes
yogilo wrote: Saw it at Costco just now. Will try it another time since I bought 817 Elephant on sale in Superstore. I got 2000 points for it as well.
Same here. Just bought some at RCSS yesterday for $8.98 and when I got my receipt I noticed I was awarded 2000 points. Best deal ever on this rice.
Jul 16, 2019
192 posts
93 upvotes
Tilda has been around for years and is consistently good though more expensive than some of the other brands. Currently some of the grocery stores in Ontario have it on sale for $9.99_$11.99. I think No Frills, RCSS etc have it on sale and may be the same price in Vancouver. WMT should also have a sale on this

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)