[OP]
May 14, 2001
477 posts
177 upvotes
Vancouver

[YVR ONLY ] MEC Warehouse clearance - FREE retail hardware ends Sunday April 11

Expiry:
April 11, 2021
At the old Vancouver MEC Broadway location, a temporary clearance is being held. There is only a modest amount of clothing left (though there seems to be a bit more children’s clothing) that is being cleared out. There was a buy 1 get 1 free promotion today (I assume it will carry on tomorrow). I understood that they may be closing after tomorrow.

The site has a bunch of office furniture from their old HQ. They had an assortment of Haworth chairs (Fabric Very model both with and without arms) going for 100$ (buy 1 get 1 - ie 2 for 100$). But the most interesting part is the free section. They are trying to get rid of retail hardware. This includes metal wire baskets, clothing bars, pegs. In short a lot of the metal hardware seen at MEC stores was being offered for free. They have pallets of stuff they have marked as free. If you have a garage / workshop / basement this would be awesome for organization. Some pallets had completely new stock still wrapped in paper.

I hope this is of help to some RFD members!

Edit (closed at 6 pm Saturday April 10 - sorry forgot to check when they open on Sunday but I recall they close at 5 pm on Sunday)

Edit Address: 130 Broadway West (3.5 blocks east of Cambie)

Edit update: thanks to tofubb 10:47
tofubb wrote: Just came back, probably five basic office chairs left 30mins ago.
Lots of free racks, include bike racks. Lots of office furnitures and monitor arms.
Last edited by vtachy on Apr 11th, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mmmmm BBQ! Chunder Time!
65 replies
Jan 22, 2017
53 posts
99 upvotes
Why the **** would someone downvote this post?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1817 posts
234 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Maybe because a once loved Canadian institution was sold to US company and is now being dismantled and the parts sold off.
Feb 9, 2008
49 posts
38 upvotes
vancouver
I was tehre earlier today. It looks just like that one. Although of all the ones remaining they all had parts of their armwrest chipped off in one way or another
Nov 20, 2004
534 posts
584 upvotes
Vancouver
Xeph820 wrote: Hey OP, is the Haworth chairs Fabric Very a computer chair?
Is it this one?
https://www.haworth.com/na/en/products/ ... ery-0.html

Thanks!
Those look to be it. Pretty comfy. Beware that there's gonna be damage to the front of the armrest to some, from forcefully trying to tuck them under the desk when the clearance wasn't there I'm guessing.

The highlight for me was the men's flop flips (sz 9), $1 + BOGO free. Stamped made in the US on the bottom.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1739 posts
3376 upvotes
Vancouver
Guncho wrote: Maybe because a once loved Canadian institution was sold to US company and is now being dismantled and the parts sold off.
to be fair, this once loved Canadian institution was kinda responsible for their own downfall by abandoning their core values and customers in an effort to become a bigger and more mainstream company
Apr 20, 2020
150 posts
80 upvotes
Guncho wrote: Maybe because a once loved Canadian institution was sold to US company and is now being dismantled and the parts sold off.
It went through receivership before it was sold. MEC needs a reset.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1817 posts
234 upvotes
Oakville, ON
coolwasabi wrote: to be fair, this once loved Canadian institution was kinda responsible for their own downfall by abandoning their core values and customers in an effort to become a bigger and more mainstream company
Fair enough.

I wish I had been better informed when they had elections. I never voted as I never had a clue who anyone was or what they stood for.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1817 posts
234 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ORKYYC wrote: It went through receivership before it was sold. MEC needs a reset.
I'm not sure what bearing that has on anything.

You think Kingswood is going to come in and make MEC a thriving business once more?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1739 posts
3376 upvotes
Vancouver
Guncho wrote: Fair enough.

I wish I had been better informed when they had elections. I never voted as I never had a clue who anyone was or what they stood for.
Ya.. it would be interesting to read about how it all went wrong. I'm sure there have been lots of written pieces about it already. I'm not even sure if the voting would have mattered; it was never a true co-op from my (admittedly limited) understanding.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1778 posts
1334 upvotes
BC
I expect to see some fellow RFD members there tomorrow! Thx OP for the fyi
Feb 12, 2017
62 posts
22 upvotes
What's the address for this place? Can't seem to find it on Google maps.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
1778 posts
1334 upvotes
BC
Kode47 wrote: What's the address for this place? Can't seem to find it on Google maps.
130 w.broadway
Jun 9, 2019
239 posts
434 upvotes
I went the other day. It's a very bizarre sale, with a ton of heavily used items (hats with massive sweat marks, boots with hole..etc).

But the shelving and stuff might be a good pickup for someone.