None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4006 posts
586 upvotes

YYZ - HKG - TOK airfare prices?

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm looking for airfare from Toronto to Hong Kong, Dec 11 and stay for a week. Then travel to Tokyo on Dec 18 and return to Toronto on Jan 4 or so. I'm finding airfares in the 2000 and up range, is that normal? I've never done multi-city so I'm clueless. I missed the YYZ - TOKYO deal a month ago so now I can't quite find such a deal. Buying 2 separate ticket isn't an option as I don't want to waste too much time on waiting and flying, (ie. Buying return flight from YYZ - HKG then buy a separate return flight ticket HKG - TOKYO)

In addition, any good/cheap place to stay in Tokyo?

Thanks in advance.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
White Comet wrote: Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm looking for airfare from Toronto to Hong Kong, Dec 11 and stay for a week. Then travel to Tokyo on Dec 18 and return to Toronto on Jan 4 or so. I'm finding airfares in the 2000 and up range, is that normal? I've never done multi-city so I'm clueless. I missed the YYZ - TOKYO deal a month ago so now I can't quite find such a deal. Buying 2 separate ticket isn't an option as I don't want to waste too much time on waiting and flying, (ie. Buying return flight from YYZ - HKG then buy a separate return flight ticket HKG - TOKYO)

Thanks in advance.
2000+ is normal for December/January, seeing that you're travelling during the high season where everyone wants to fly home to Hong Kong.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
If you are flexible and want to save some money, you could book a round trip to Tokyo on Delta Dec 11-Jan 1, for $1178. Then book NRT-HKG on a separate ticket. Hong Kong Express has flights around $400.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3539 upvotes
When I have traveled to Asia during the holidays, I always ended up booking with a travel agent, and their prices are always better. I suggest contacting one, and you will likely get a better price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4006 posts
586 upvotes
Cheap wrote: If you are flexible and want to save some money, you could book a round trip to Tokyo on Delta Dec 11-Jan 1, for $1178. Then book NRT-HKG on a separate ticket. Hong Kong Express has flights around $400.
I thought about doing this as well but I haven't done something like the before and don't want to get lost or mess up the booking. Will investigate to see the extra time needed to travel vs savings.
Balduno wrote: When I have traveled to Asia during the holidays, I always ended up booking with a travel agent, and their prices are always better. I suggest contacting one, and you will likely get a better price.
Like which ones?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7453 posts
2416 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cheapest is to use your aeroplan points...using them during the high seasons gives the greatest value to those points
Apr 20, 2008
511 posts
43 upvotes
Markham
White Comet wrote: Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Whenever i'm in tokyo I always stay at the sunshine prince hotel because it's fairly cheap and it's location is pretty good. It's located at ikebukuro which is very close to everything around (subway is walking distance to the hotel (http://www.princehotels.com/en/sunshine/)

There's also a mall right next door to the hotel sunshine city and there's an amusement/food/game center call Namja Town inside (admission fee is needed) the area is pretty cool specially if you're into anime there's a lot to see there ~

not to mention the food is very good, there's hidden ramen and local shops in the alley way so don't be afraid to explore !
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3539 upvotes
White Comet wrote: I thought about doing this as well but I haven't done something like the before and don't want to get lost or mess up the booking. Will investigate to see the extra time needed to travel vs savings.

Like which ones?
I cant recommend a travel agent unless you're in Vancouver. I can't tell your location as I'm using the mobile site.

Ask your friends and family for travel agent recommendations.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9087 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote: cheapest is to use your aeroplan points...using them during the high seasons gives the greatest value to those points
If you can find seats. Problem is seats are already difficult to find on most dates. For high season travel, especially near X-mas or new year, you'll be very lucky if you find any seat.

OP, you didn't provide your location. But most Asian TAs should be able to help.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26119 posts
8249 upvotes
where I belong
Indeed, $2000+ due to Dec and Jan 4 return
https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;i ... 01-04;tt=m

Best use of Aeroplan miles if you have 75K (Economy), 2 free stopovers

Or do as others suggested, buy a Round-trip YYZ-Tokyo and separate tickets Tokyo-HKG. If you want to be safe, leave lots of time between connections, or even, stay 1-2 days before the "transfer" YYZ-NRT/HND-HKG-NRT/HND-YYZ
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4006 posts
586 upvotes
Yea I'm in Toronto. Going to check with travel agent to see what's the best option. Unfortunately I don't have that many Aeroplan miles :(

Thanks for the hotel recommendation and other hidden stuff that probably wouldn't be in the tour guide
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
White Comet wrote: Yea I'm in Toronto. Going to check with travel agent to see what's the best option. Unfortunately I don't have that many Aeroplan miles :(

Thanks for the hotel recommendation and other hidden stuff that probably wouldn't be in the tour guide
You can get a round trip in Asia, like HKG-NRT for 20,000 aerorplan miles
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4006 posts
586 upvotes
Cream Puff wrote: Whenever i'm in tokyo I always stay at the sunshine prince hotel because it's fairly cheap and it's location is pretty good. It's located at ikebukuro which is very close to everything around (subway is walking distance to the hotel (http://www.princehotels.com/en/sunshine/)

There's also a mall right next door to the hotel sunshine city and there's an amusement/food/game center call Namja Town inside (admission fee is needed) the area is pretty cool specially if you're into anime there's a lot to see there ~

not to mention the food is very good, there's hidden ramen and local shops in the alley way so don't be afraid to explore !
Well I finally got my tickets multi-city for $18xx. Oh well. I checked the sunshine prince hotel and its around $190/night :( What kind of rates do you usually get? I'm seeing this through booking.com, Trivago is over $200/night

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)