• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2020 6:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 11, 2020
171 posts
100 upvotes

YYZ lounge

Hi All,

Travelling on westjet from toronto to calgary on Dec 25 and returning on Jan 3. Anyway to get cheap/free lounge passes for two?

Thanks in advance!
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought Wesjet lounges were still closed? Or very limited and only in Calgary and Vancouver?.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 11, 2020
171 posts
100 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I thought Wesjet lounges were still closed? Or very limited and only in Calgary and Vancouver?.
appears so but they have some partner lounges
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
cream4389 wrote: appears so but they have some partner lounges
Oh? Which ones and how does it work? Just show membership or ticket?
Also, are they not limiting numbers of people in the lounge and regular members get in while partner members wait?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
cream4389 wrote: Hi All,

Travelling on westjet from toronto to calgary on Dec 25 and returning on Jan 3. Anyway to get cheap/free lounge passes for two?

Thanks in advance!
westjet doesn't have lounges i thought? all the 3rd party lounges (plaza premium etc) are still closed in yyz and yyc. they (plaza premium) are only open in YVR for vancouver

AC lounges are open in YYZ and YVR, not sure about YYC
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4743 posts
1161 upvotes
Scarborough
StatsGuy wrote: westjet doesn't have lounges i thought? all the 3rd party lounges (plaza premium etc) are still closed in yyz and yyc. they (plaza premium) are only open in YVR for vancouver

AC lounges are open in YYZ and YVR, not sure about YYC
Westjet does have a flagship lounge now in Calgary, it's called Elevation Lounge. Apparently, it's coming to priority pass as well. I have not been to it. I primarily use Premium Plaza.

My opinion to OP is, if you have to pay for lounge, don't. Just spend the amount at restaurant at the airport and you'll get a better deal (unless you plan on drowning yourself in alcohol).

At YYZ, the domestic Premium Plaza lounge as reopened since the end of October at T1 and T3.

In terms of deals, they offer 20-30% off sometimes for walk-ins.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: Westjet does have a flagship lounge now in Calgary, it's called Elevation Lounge. Apparently, it's coming to priority pass as well. I have not been to it. I primarily use Premium Plaza.

My opinion to OP is, if you have to pay for lounge, don't. Just spend the amount at restaurant at the airport and you'll get a better deal (unless you plan on drowning yourself in alcohol).

At YYZ, the domestic Premium Plaza lounge as reopened since the end of October at T1 and T3.

In terms of deals, they offer 20-30% off sometimes for walk-ins.
good to know the domestic premium plaza lounge is open in YYZ now ...are the hours limited like at YVR? have you been?

i was at the YVR lounge and it was very basic in what was provided, fine if you have it included as a benefit, but definitely not worth paying for especially with how empty airports are
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5406 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
FYI the Premium Plaza lounges have reopened for domestic flights in YYZ. I have been to the one in terminal 1 a few times. The Maple Leaf lounge is also open in terminal 1. Hours seem quite reasonable, and food and drink is available (they serve you).
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
gei wrote: FYI the Premium Plaza lounges have reopened for domestic flights in YYZ. I have been to the one in terminal 1 a few times. The Maple Leaf lounge is also open in terminal 1. Hours seem quite reasonable, and food and drink is available (they serve you).
As I see it, you need to make reservations.
Also, $50 to sit in a lounge for an hour or 2? Like someone said, you can sit in any one of the many establishments for less. IMO.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8675 posts
1560 upvotes
Vancouver
Pete_Coach wrote: As I see it, you need to make reservations.
Also, $50 to sit in a lounge for an hour or 2? Like someone said, you can sit in any one of the many establishments for less. IMO.
Not if you enjoy liqour. Can easy balance out the $50

Also manny have access via credit cards and of course MLL via elite

Montreal MLL is opening soon

I believe Westjet was building their own lounge in calgary? Not sure I’m an AC guy
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote: Not if you enjoy liqour. Can easy balance out the $50

Also manny have access via credit cards and of course MLL via elite

Montreal MLL is opening soon

I believe Westjet was building their own lounge in calgary? Not sure I’m an AC guy
I used to travel business class a lot while workign. I always travel business class now.
How much time do folks spend in the lounges? I get to the airport in time to fly and only if I am on a layover do I spend any time in the lounges. Do people actually go to the airport early just to sit in a lounge?? LOL
Oh and, as for drinking alcohol to justify the cost, well, if you need to?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8675 posts
1560 upvotes
Vancouver
Pete_Coach wrote: I used to travel business class a lot while workign. I always travel business class now.
How much time do folks spend in the lounges? I get to the airport in time to fly and only if I am on a layover do I spend any time in the lounges. Do people actually go to the airport early just to sit in a lounge?? LOL
Oh and, as for drinking alcohol to justify the cost, well, if you need to?
I think casual travellers tend to arrive earlier than business travellers as they don’t want any chance of missing their flight especially charters. For a casual tourist an open bar might be new or just a fun way to start vacation.

I’ve had meetings wrap up early. Tried to get standby. Couldn’t the lounge was a good spot to catch up. Weather delays. Even though I have per diem May as well have a few beers in the lounge save the per diem for better food

Better then waiting at the gate.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5406 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: As I see it, you need to make reservations.
Also, $50 to sit in a lounge for an hour or 2? Like someone said, you can sit in any one of the many establishments for less. IMO.
You don't need to make any reservation. The lounges are both fairly quiet anyway - lots of room to space out.

MLL is of course included if you are flying business class with Air Canada (or have elite status), and Plaza Premium lounge is included if you have an amex platinum or priority pass. If you happen to have access to both, in YYZ I would choose the maple leaf lounge over plaza premium for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4743 posts
1161 upvotes
Scarborough
gei wrote: You don't need to make any reservation. The lounges are both fairly quiet anyway - lots of room to space out.

MLL is of course included if you are flying business class with Air Canada (or have elite status), and Plaza Premium lounge is included if you have an amex platinum or priority pass. If you happen to have access to both, in YYZ I would choose the maple leaf lounge over plaza premium for sure.
I think it's more of a preference. The MLL has better drinks, but Premium Plaza has better food (prob. not quality), but enough to make a full meal out of it whereas MLL is mostly just soup, salad, and flatbread. That said, I did like the MLL express lounge when it was open. Great way to grab food to eat on the plane.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1552 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
Premium lounge at yyz was so cramped last time I used it. Def not a good lounge for social distancing.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*


🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
1552 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
Premium lounge at yyz was so cramped last time I used it. Def not a good lounge for social distancing unless they take some couches away.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*


🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
Member
Dec 13, 2010
279 posts
88 upvotes
Montreal
Food in any lounge is nowadays limited to quick snacks due to Covid-19 sanitary precautions. Even in pre-Covid times, It was barely worth-it to pay food-wise, and even less. Even if you are a reasonable alcohol drinker, you should maybe keep your hobby till you get to your final destination as I doubt that 2-3 glasses of cheap spirits are worth 30$ USD that they still charge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4486 posts
2776 upvotes
Gotham
chedo009 wrote: Food in any lounge is nowadays limited to quick snacks due to Covid-19 sanitary precautions. Even in pre-Covid times, It was barely worth-it to pay food-wise, and even less. Even if you are a reasonable alcohol drinker, you should maybe keep your hobby till you get to your final destination as I doubt that 2-3 glasses of cheap spirits are worth 30$ USD that they still charge.
Maple Leaf lounges (YYZ and YVR) still prepares food on order but it's a more limited menu. The prepackaged is pretty horrible from my experience.

https://msj.world/alatableyyzd/1?table=1
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1966 posts
858 upvotes
HK
Pete_Coach wrote: I used to travel business class a lot while workign. I always travel business class now.
How much time do folks spend in the lounges? I get to the airport in time to fly and only if I am on a layover do I spend any time in the lounges. Do people actually go to the airport early just to sit in a lounge?? LOL
Oh and, as for drinking alcohol to justify the cost, well, if you need to?
Similar as you, I try to minimize my time spent at airports. My 1st year of travel I was fascinated with lounges, but it quickly got old.

That being said, for airports outside of US/Canada, I tend to get their early as I'm not familiar with the "door-to-door" time, so usually end up in the lounge.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
chedo009 wrote: Food in any lounge is nowadays limited to quick snacks due to Covid-19 sanitary precautions. Even in pre-Covid times, It was barely worth-it to pay food-wise, and even less. Even if you are a reasonable alcohol drinker, you should maybe keep your hobby till you get to your final destination as I doubt that 2-3 glasses of cheap spirits are worth 30$ USD that they still charge.
Premium plaza in YVR serves hot cooked food brought to you tableside by staff

Top