YYZ -> MEX worth using Aeroplan pts?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 10:03 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes

YYZ -> MEX worth using Aeroplan pts?

so i'm looking to visit my friend in Mexico this winter and wondering if it's worth it to use my aeroplan points, or just pay for the ticket myself?

USING POINTS:
37,350 points + $276.15 for Taxes/surcharges
(or can use an additional 39,450 points to pay for the fees...so 76,800 pts all-in)

CASH:
the AC site is showing me $550 all in.

WHAT'S 35,000 PTS WORTH?
looking at the Gift Cards, 35,000 points can get you a $250 Amazon gift card.

is it a better deal if i use points or cash?

(note: i'm Aeroplan Black status, so not sure if this price already reflects the 25% off Market Rate Fares i'm suppose to get -- the website's kinda confusing)
aeroplan MEX 2019-12-21 at 12.41.37 PM.png
aeroplan GC 2019-12-21 at 12.53.59 PM.png
11 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11948 posts
2140 upvotes
Mississauga
I see a flight for $490 taxes in for those dates. I dunno, seems like a waste to have saved up for all those points just to save an extra ~$215.

For 75K points (your approx. total if you paid for the fees), you can fly all the way to South Korea, Taiwan or any number places in East Asia and pay very little in fees with airlines like EVA or Korean.
Aug 12, 2014
220 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gotglint wrote: so i'm looking to visit my friend in Mexico this winter and wondering if it's worth it to use my aeroplan points, or just pay for the ticket myself?

USING POINTS:
37,350 points + $276.15 for Taxes/surcharges
(or can use an additional 39,450 points to pay for the fees...so 76,800 pts all-in)

CASH:
the AC site is showing me $550 all in.
if you don't have much points left in your account, spend it because program will be relaunched next march and from what i've read we are leaning towards dynamic pricing similar to United or delta.

by looking at the chart, it normally costs 40k for a return trip to Mexico.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes
wirespeed wrote: if you don't have much points left in your account, spend it because program will be relaunched next march and from what i've read we are leaning towards dynamic pricing similar to United or delta.

by looking at the chart, it normally costs 40k for a return trip to Mexico.
thanks! i didn't know that (too many changes lately)

i have tons of points left in my account :(
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: I see a flight for $490 taxes in for those dates. I dunno, seems like a waste to have saved up for all those points just to save an extra ~$215.

For 75K points (your approx. total if you paid for the fees), you can fly all the way to South Korea, Taiwan or any number places in East Asia and pay very little in fees with airlines like EVA or Korean.
oh that's great to know, thank you! i do actually want to go to SK and Taiwan...and maybe japan too since i'm already out there.
Aug 12, 2014
220 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Talamasca wrote: I see a flight for $490 taxes in for those dates. I dunno, seems like a waste to have saved up for all those points just to save an extra ~$215.

Asiana's flights do attract surcharge. Korean air is part of skyteam and it's not redeemable with aeroplan miles
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11948 posts
2140 upvotes
Mississauga
wirespeed wrote: Asiana's flights do attract surcharge. Korean air is part of skyteam and it's not redeemable with aeroplan miles
Yes, you are correct.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2552 posts
2429 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ive redeemed for YYZ - MEX before on business class, but it's not good value. Much better value travelling internationally elsewhere.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: 37,350 points to save $273.85. That's 0.73¢/point; a terrible redemption. You should be getting 1¢/point as a bare minimum.
thanks. my alternative is to just get costco or Amzn gift cards, since i use those much more often than flights :(
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Ive redeemed for YYZ - MEX before on business class, but it's not good value. Much better value travelling internationally elsewhere.
wow, not even on business class? it's also a short flight so i don't feel like i need to be pampered for a short duration
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
Is there somewhere else in Canada/USA/Mexico you would like to visit as well? You can get decent value from a reward like this if you utilize the one free stopover privilege creatively.