YYZ To SIN *Singapore Early June Air Canada United $800RT Short Stops 1Stop

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 3:05 am
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:22 pm
With so many indoor places to cool off, I don't see it as an issue. Grown men will adapt.

If the elderly can adjust to Miami, I'm sure the young and middle-aged can adjust to Singapore.

I have to agree, a sweltering humid summer in Southern Ontario doesn't feel much different (for better or worse).
This is one of the points that even make a hot climate in a tropical country more pleasurable than if one were to spend the same length of time in a canadian summer. In singapore, you’re bound to walk into shade or climate controlled areas along your touring journey so much more often than you would in canada. Add to that the living areas are almost ecologically sterile, you might forget mosquitos even exist as you would normally equate with summer.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:22 pm
With so many indoor places to cool off, I don't see it as an issue. Grown men will adapt.

If the elderly can adjust to Miami, I'm sure the young and middle-aged can adjust to Singapore

I have to agree, a sweltering humid summer in Southern Ontario doesn't feel much different (for better or worse).
Humidex is typically 40-42C year round (southern Ontario probably has a handful of days that hot in the summer). Is it unbearable? No. Is it uncomfortable? Yes.

I'm not saying heat is a reason to avoid the city. And yes, you can go indoors to cool off. But if you really want to enjoy the city, you WILL sweat (example: try eating lunch at a hawker center)
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2324 posts
2493 upvotes
Calgary
$559
Images
  • singapore.jpg
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Jan 26, 2017
86 posts
28 upvotes
Just booked through Flight Network for YYZ-SIN Sep 27-Oct 13 for $739CAD per person (AC and then United). Flight time is 24hrs on the way there and 23hrs on the way back. Going to be tight connecting flights but otherwise can't complain.

Using this to get to Bali.
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
FnF184 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 10:51 pm
Just booked through Flight Network for YYZ-SIN Sep 27-Oct 13 for $739CAD per person (AC and then United). Flight time is 24hrs on the way there and 23hrs on the way back. Going to be tight connecting flights but otherwise can't complain.

Using this to get to Bali.
Are you able to get similar rates booking straight with the airline?
Jan 26, 2017
86 posts
28 upvotes
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 11:01 pm
Are you able to get similar rates booking straight with the airline?
I checked direct on United and it was 818. On Google Flights and pretty much all sites it was 799. The only one that was lower was FlightNetwork.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3722 posts
1499 upvotes
Secret Flying is showing open jaw flights departing not only from Toronto, but also from Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, and Vancouver to Singapore. Return is from Beijing. Fares are less than $575 return. Departure dates available are Oct/Nov.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2759 posts
421 upvotes
My $0.02 - Singapore is hot and humid all year round (outdoors) - as is neighbouring Malaysia. Canada even with our muggy heat waves is just still not the same. If you're planning a vacation where you want to be outside most of the time and you think 26-27C is hot, I can tell you 33-35 and muggy everyday is not pleasant for more than 3-4 days.
And when you get some respite from the sun you get smog from the burning of forests for planting useless palm trees in Indonesia/Malaysia. :)
If you're only going out at night (after 8PM) or early morning (before 7AM) and spending the rest of the time indoors with A/C - no biggie.
Nice to see 1x-2x when passing through - most of the Singapore sights are so "artificial" feeling, this way you only have to deal with the weather 1-2 days at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7650 posts
1293 upvotes
I love the weather in Singapore.

Its 100% humid all the time like a sauna, so its definitely bad for people with asthma.

That said, its worked wonder for my skin. I dont have cracked and dry skin at all, dont need to moisturize ever, and just overall was better for my body than Canada.

Also, the climate is stable. In Toronto you'll have +20 one day and -5 the next. No such thing over there.

Rain is warm, the air is sweet and smells like the tropics most of the time (flowers and fruits), and its a metropolis with a proper subway system, double decker buses and so forth.
Yes, it feels artificial, because its been built. There was nothing there before, just a port. They're actively reclaiming land and building islands to make space.

The selling point of the city though, is its geo location within Asia. Beaches of Thailand are 45 min flight, Bali is 1.5 hours. List of other places to visit is enormous. Kind of like living in the middle of Europe and wanting to visit another country. (well, almost like that)

If you dont like the tropical weather, its understandable, but it applies to any country near the equator. Its nothing new in that regard.

The smog / palm tree fires from Malaysia and Indonesia happen in September/October not now, so it should be a non issue.

As a city, 3 to 5 days is enough of a visit. 7 days if you wanna chill and see everything without rushing. Its really the countries around it that make it a ton of fun to be there.

Singapore Jewel (part of their airport):

Singapore Nat Geo documentary:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8890 posts
9029 upvotes
I see a lot of growth potential in Malaysia to be honest, I'm leaning towards tripping there. I have a friend in supply chain who's in love with the locale and potential, but he's been seconded to the US (golden cuffs).
Dec 12, 2014
278 posts
183 upvotes
Montréal, QC
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 9:51 am
A top city: Singapore.

The list also includes Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, NYC... a few others.

Nothing like experiencing peak civilization.
Those two cities were build on modern slavery. 2019 and women still have no rights.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7650 posts
1293 upvotes
Spaceballs wrote:
May 30th, 2019 3:00 pm
Those two cities were build on modern slavery. 2019 and women still have no rights.
To be fair, thats true. Also still very opressive by any western standard.

Mind you, in Singapore, being gay is also illegal, so there's that. (mostly due to being on good terms with Malaysia and Indonesia)