Images
  • IMG_20191231_160848.jpg
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6577 posts
5220 upvotes
M-Arkham
Seiki is made by Tshinghua Tongfang.... who currently hold the license to manufacture TVs under the Westinghouse brand thru a subsidiary called 'Westinghouse Electronics'(different from the original Westinghouse company in the US) to try and maintain the image that the brand is still american. Tshinghua Tongfang also makes TV under the brand Element for distribution at retailers like Walmart

Seiki = Westinghouse = Element = THTF

Long story short, it's a discount TV from a discount brand, so tamper your expectation, you get what you pay for, but if you just need a TV and you don't care too much about backlight showing on the edges, colour reproduction, contradt level, etc etc, then by all mean, grab this.
TBH, if you're gonna throw this in the guest room or a kids play room, sure why not, if kids breaks it, your wallet is not gonna feel too hurt

Also, read the terms and policy of the smart function, before turning it on. With these discount brand, odds are you're not gonna get any support and update for the long term... well most TVs manufacturer are terribad with these updates. I would rather turn off the smart function and just grab a firestick 4k, at least that piece will be supported for a while
Last edited by Brewmeanie on Dec 31st, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1317 posts
1179 upvotes
SURREY
VladdyGJays wrote: Hmmm. Any one know if this is decent
Got this TV for my parents for Black Friday. More than fine if you’re just using it for every day use. If you’re pixel peeping or using it for watching movies I’d say look elsewhere but as a TV used for watching the news and things like that it’s doing fine for them
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32843 posts
14559 upvotes
Wouldn't touch this third tier el-cheapo sold-in-a-grocery-store thing with a 10ft pole, but if you want super-cheap and don't care much about quality (or reliability) might be for you. Hopefully the grocery store allows returns on these things but I imagine they would. Brings back memories of those el-cheapo fauxK RCAs or whatever ppl used to buy at Superstore, the 50" ones for $400-500 or whatever it was? Making a gamble on "getting one with a good panel", and "here's how you fix this problem and that problem", returning like 3x to see if you "get a good one", etc. :lol:

Funny how you can get some pretty darn good TVs in the 55" range these days for what those people were buying the junkiest of the junk for, a couple years ago.

Now however I guess $400-500 is too much and $250 is the new bottom-of-barrel people are willing to take a gamble on. I dunno, seems to me like with the likes of TCL and Hisense that should be a starting point for everyone (though I wouldn't buy their low-end stuff either).

One interesting thing about this TV is it seems to have component input, which is more rare these days. This might be helpful for retro gaming but who knows what kind of input lag and pixel response this TV has? Could be ok or could be terrible. Maybe someone is willing to put down $250 to be the guinea pig. IMO it's not going to be something too good though.
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
I just bought a 55 4k Westinghouse from Canadian Tire the other day for $299.99. Absolute steal. Amazing picture. Audio is as expected but acceptable. Happy new year
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1402 posts
2006 upvotes
Toronto
VladdyGJays wrote: Hmmm. Any one know if this is decent
Decent? As in a decent TV? Not a chance at that price point.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1402 posts
2006 upvotes
Toronto
torontocanada1968 wrote: I just bought a 55 4k Westinghouse from Canadian Tire the other day for $299.99. Absolute steal. Amazing picture. Audio is as expected but acceptable. Happy new year
Please report back in a year and tell us if it still works. All kinds of complaints on these cheapie TV's and their reliability.
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: Please report back in a year and tell us if it still works. All kinds of complaints on these cheapie TV's and their reliability.
Agreed. I will. I also have 2 top of the line Samsung 65's and a TCL 6 series 65. I was shocked at the picture on the cheapie Westinghouse.Quite impressive. Happy new year
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6577 posts
5220 upvotes
M-Arkham
torontocanada1968 wrote: I just bought a 55 4k Westinghouse from Canadian Tire the other day for $299.99. Absolute steal. Amazing picture. Audio is as expected but acceptable. Happy new year
The Westinghouse is the same as this Seiki, both of them are made by Tshinghua Tongfang
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: The Westinghouse is the same as this Seiki, both of them are made by Tshinghua Tongfang
I had a 42 Seiki many years ago in the garage. Ok tv lasted 5 years and just gave away when upgraded. This Westinghouse is fantastic. Never thought Id say that about a Westinghouse. If I can get 3 + years Im happy
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6577 posts
5220 upvotes
M-Arkham
torontocanada1968 wrote: I had a 42 Seiki many years ago in the garage. Ok tv lasted 5 years and just gave away when upgraded. This Westinghouse is fantastic. Never thought Id say that about a Westinghouse. If I can get 3 + years Im happy
Im not saying it's complete crap, im just saying people need to lower their expectation for these. Most of the time, the panel will look fine since they all get stamped outta the same factory, it's usually the control board, audio, features and other stuff that is underwhelming, lacking or fails first.
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
Brewmeanie wrote: Im not saying it's complete crap, im just saying people need to lower their expectation for these. Most of the time, the panel will look fine since they all get stamped outta the same factory, it's usually the control board, audio, features and other stuff that is underwhelming, lacking or fails first.
$299.99 for this quality of picture is a steal. Hopefully it lasts
Nov 14, 2016
160 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
Got this same model for parents abt 6months ago from rcss and the build and picture quality is amazing. Sound is not too great but it's workable. It's a smart TV and has all the major apps. WiFi is not that great.
Oct 31, 2019
50 posts
40 upvotes
torontocanada1968 wrote: $299.99 for this quality of picture is a steal. Hopefully it lasts
Imo, for them to take 299 from your wallet for this tv is robbery by them. I also made the mistake of purchasing the 229.99 bolva tv that RCSS had, returned it the next day.

For $30 more, my local costco(bc) had the hisense 55inch r6 roku 4k tv on for 329.99 which includes 2 year COSTCO warranty. This a 2019 model with really good reviews. All the bells and whistles including roku(subjective, I know). This model has full array backlighting, hdr 10, DTS. All 3 hdmi ports are 2.0 and 4k at 60fps. Yes I did my research fudgin steal at 329.99. Bought today on 31st, deal is dead on 2nd of january. Note there is a price difference online, 347.99 though I was not logged on to my account. Shipping is included in that price of $347.
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
VISHCITY wrote: Imo, for them to take 299 from your wallet for this tv is robbery by them. I also made the mistake of purchasing the 229.99 bolva tv that RCSS had, returned it the next day.

For $30 more, my local costco(bc) had the hisense 55inch r6 roku 4k tv on for 329.99 which includes 2 year COSTCO warranty. This a 2019 model with really good reviews. All the bells and whistles including roku(subjective, I know). This model has full array backlighting, hdr 10, DTS. All 3 hdmi ports are 2.0 and 4k at 60fps. Yes I did my research fudgin steal at 329.99. Bought today on 31st, deal is dead on 2nd of january. Note there is a price difference online, 347.99 though I was not logged on to my account. Shipping is included in that price of $347.
Do you own the Westinghouse? Cheers
Oct 31, 2019
50 posts
40 upvotes
torontocanada1968 wrote: Do you own the Westinghouse? Cheers
Yes, i have previously owned Westinghouse as the price points are always enticing. Quality of picture is garbage imo.

I know its been a day, but my mind is blown by the quality of picture and features of the hisense at 329.99 price point. The interface alone is worth the money. Also, i have 90 days to decide if i would like to extend warranty for 5 yrs @29.99 via costco. I got a great deal.

Rdfers Assemble!
Jul 20, 2016
339 posts
306 upvotes
VISHCITY wrote: Yes, i have previously owned Westinghouse as the price points are always enticing. Quality of picture is garbage imo.

I know its been a day, but my mind is blown by the quality of picture and features of the hisense at 329.99 price point. The interface alone is worth the money. Also, i have 90 days to decide if i would like to extend warranty for 5 yrs @29.99 via costco. I got a great deal.

Rdfers Assemble!

We both did. Im going to grab that same Hisense for a second garage tube I didnt know that all models of Westinghouse were identical. Happy new year
Oct 31, 2019
50 posts
40 upvotes
torontocanada1968 wrote:
Well alright, finally a sound decision on your part with the hisense, you will be pleased.

Thank you, happy new years to you as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)