Expired Hot Deals

[Zellers] Zellers: Sony and Maxell DVD+R and DVD-R are on sale Dec 1 - Dec 5 2010

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2010 2:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4201 posts
768 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Zellers] Zellers: Sony and Maxell DVD+R and DVD-R are on sale Dec 1 - Dec 5 2010

This is in Zeller's Mid-Week Mania flyer, which is in effect Wed Dec 1 to Sun Dec 5
  • Sony or Maxell 50 disc DVD+R or DVD-R spindles are 2 for $18. Flyer says their regular price is $17.99, so basically it's buy one get one free. Sale price applies to multiples of 2 only.
  • Sony or Maxell 100 disc DVD+R or DVD-R spindles are $18.99, regular price is $34.99.
Only a dollar difference between the two, but I prefer 2 x 50 because I can reuse the package. Don't know if you can mix and match for the 2/$18 deal.
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 25, 2005
8385 posts
6202 upvotes
North York
How are Sony ones compared with Verbatim?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4201 posts
768 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think for longevity, I think the Verbatims are better, it's one thing people comment on a lot.
In terms of disc quality, I think they're about the same. Things like quality of a certain batch, writing strategy of the burner, and what device is used to read the disc all play a part in whether the disc is good for you or not. I've never had any issues with Sony, Maxell, or Verbatim.
Newbie
Mar 13, 2010
80 posts
30 upvotes
I bought the Sony DVD+R last month when Zeller's had these on sale ($20 instead of $18 - Doh!).

They are "Made in Taiwan" with media ID "SONYD21". I don't know how reliable the list is, but they are rated highly here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Sr. Member
Sep 21, 2009
873 posts
196 upvotes
9600 wrote: I bought the Sony DVD+R last month when Zeller's had these on sale ($20 instead of $18 - Doh!).

They are "Made in Taiwan" with media ID "SONYD21". I don't know how reliable the list is, but they are rated highly here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

wow
looks liek dvd prices are going up
(which of course is not possible, therefore this deal must be ice cold)

I bought big box of 100 verbatims.. and I don't burn much at all, therefore I bought it like half year ago, for $15!
Newbie
Apr 22, 2006
33 posts
13 upvotes
kolok wrote: looks liek dvd prices are going up
(which of course is not possible, therefore this deal must be ice cold)
First, prices can and do go up. The price of oil contributed to increased costs of the polycarbonate they're made out of.

Longer term, there's also the CPCC. They aren't yet pulling in cash for DVDs, but may. On CD's, they are a major contributor to the price. I used to buy them at an effective price of ~15-20c/disc. Today, it's around 50c/disc thanks to the levy that's currently 29c/disc.
Sr. Member
Sep 21, 2009
873 posts
196 upvotes
pellinor wrote: First, prices can and do go up. The price of oil contributed to increased costs of the polycarbonate they're made out of.

Longer term, there's also the CPCC. They aren't yet pulling in cash for DVDs, but may. On CD's, they are a major contributor to the price. I used to buy them at an effective price of ~15-20c/disc. Today, it's around 50c/disc thanks to the levy that's currently 29c/disc.
well what do you know then..

thanks for clarifying

that was a smoking hot deal then $15 per 100 dvds.

can't believe that was over 6 months ago.. and now hot is double that price. :)

but hey.. just cause I don't believe it, don't mean it ain't true.

cheers
Newbie
Apr 22, 2006
33 posts
13 upvotes
kolok wrote: I bought big box of 100 verbatims.. and I don't burn much at all, therefore I bought it like half year ago, for $15!
Oh, and I forgot to mention... If you picked up 100 Verbatims for $15, either you got a really hot deal, or you got counterfeits.

I've only managed to get branded 100-pc spindles as low as 17.50, and that was with with price matches.

kp
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 8, 2009
10020 posts
4602 upvotes
ive been buying the sony disks when they are on sale at zellers...The last time i bought 8 100packs.Got them for 20$each and they are pretty decent i havn't had any problems yet with them..
Newbie
Mar 13, 2010
80 posts
30 upvotes
kolok wrote: now hot is double that price
... just cause I don't believe it, don't mean it ain't true.
Leaving the hot or not debate aside, what I can't believe is how $18 or even $20 can be considered "double" $15 for 100 blank DVDs.
Sr. Member
Sep 21, 2009
873 posts
196 upvotes
pellinor wrote: Oh, and I forgot to mention... If you picked up 100 Verbatims for $15, either you got a really hot deal, or you got counterfeits.

I've only managed to get branded 100-pc spindles as low as 17.50, and that was with with price matches.

kp
it was one of them big store sales a few months back.. ncix or newegg .. I forget which one..
but in either case, I doubt they would be fakes

I in fact burn so little that the package sits still sealed on the shelf

it was sold out fast, so I'm sure it was a great deal.
Sr. Member
Sep 21, 2009
873 posts
196 upvotes
9600 wrote: Leaving the hot or not debate aside, what I can't believe is how $18 or even $20 can be considered "double" $15 for 100 blank DVDs.
please stop ruining my argument or I will report you.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2008
1441 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks OP

I barely burn anymore but I like to have a spindle or two on hand just incase. Will pick up some Sony's when the sale starts
Newbie
Mar 13, 2010
80 posts
30 upvotes
kolok wrote: please stop ruining my argument or I will report you.
Hey, you're the one that showed up crapping this thread. Heat / Kitchen.

Besides, I'm not the one "ruining" your argument. Your apparent arithmetic disability did that on its own.
Sr. Member
Sep 21, 2009
873 posts
196 upvotes
9600 wrote: Hey, you're the one that showed up crapping this thread. Heat / Kitchen.

Besides, I'm not the one "ruining" your argument. Your apparent arithmetic disability did that on its own.

actually you are correct.

I just wanted to see if you have a sense of humor

Top