Green / Eco-Friendly

Is a zero-waste lifestyle really possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 2:26 pm
Nov 12, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
Great point,. and great start! Once I had that "lens" on, it was quite easy to avoid a lot of waste -- using my own reusable cup when I go to Timmies, saying no to plastic straws and cutlery, using a shampoo bar and a bar of soap. Even the eyeliner and mascara I buy...they all happen to be packaged in kraft paper (except for the mascara tube....).

It is a journey. But a rewarding one - supporting the local indie companies that are helping us live healthier lifestyles seems like a good decision to me! =)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1456 posts
1205 upvotes
Winnipeg
EcoSuperstar wrote: Great point,. and great start! Once I had that "lens" on, it was quite easy to avoid a lot of waste -- using my own reusable cup when I go to Timmies, saying no to plastic straws and cutlery, using a shampoo bar and a bar of soap. Even the eyeliner and mascara I buy...they all happen to be packaged in kraft paper (except for the mascara tube....).

It is a journey. But a rewarding one - supporting the local indie companies that are helping us live healthier lifestyles seems like a good decision to me! =)
I’ve never tried a shampoo bar. What a great idea. Any recommendations/tips?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
chococrazy wrote: I have recently started avoiding plastics. It's been eye opening to say the least! Love the Bulk Barn program where you can bring in your containers. Any other eco-friendly places that help with reducing bringing home plastic? I know the Body Shop years ago had a trade in your plastic bottle for a new one program, but seems like they've discontinued that.
hmm the soap dispensary in Vancouver

We know Loblaws offers points for bringing your own bags. Maybe do the survey and ask the program be extended to produce bags as well.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11588 posts
497 upvotes
Zero waste isn’t possible. It’s aspirational, and a good aspiration at that.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13090 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Middens
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Jun 10, 2003
652 posts
89 upvotes
Halifax
You dont even need to go that far, its amazing how much plastic would be saved by having more reusable container programs. All my wife and I did was not buy things in the grocery store if it came in totally unnecessary plastic packaging and do the bulk barn container program. We cook the vast majority of our food at home from scratch so that has gotten us to the point where we put out 1 bag of garbage and usually 1, sometimes 2 bags of plastic and 2 paper recycling a month. It was eye opening just how much plastic waste is created for our food, now the majority of our waste comes from our dog.....
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13090 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The Return-It depot near me takes plastic bags and packaging for recycling. I have been washing all my chip bags, etc to bring there. I have so much plastic accummulating! Chip bags (higher value plastic) and plastic bags (lower value plastic) go in different sections, but no one seems to know this. I hope someone is sorting them?!?!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1177 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Becks wrote: The Return-It depot near me takes plastic bags and packaging for recycling. I have been washing all my chip bags, etc to bring there. I have so much plastic accummulating! Chip bags (higher value plastic) and plastic bags (lower value plastic) go in different sections, but no one seems to know this. I hope someone is sorting them?!?!
Interesting. I hope something like this comes to Ontario.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13090 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
When I went to the Return-It depot recently, they said there is no need to sort out the two categories of plastic bags anymore. Hmmmmm.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13622 posts
3680 upvotes
Montréal
Yes, w human extinction. Just silly marginal efforts ppl do these days to make themselves feel better. Probably the most polluting 'sin'? Having more humans.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>