Tags:
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
520 posts
482 upvotes
Montréal area

ZigBee bulb recommandations?

Hi,

I just upgraded my router to the Deco X20.

All my cheap Tuya devices are not connecting to the new WiFi, even after configuring a guest with only 2.4Ghz on WPA2-PSK (AES)...

My best guess would be than these devices don't like WiFi 6 / 802.11ax even in 2.4Ghz...

I guess I need to update my 3 bulbs (2 color, 1 white) and 2 smart plug... Any cheap recommandations for a solution with ZigBee? I might move to this protocol to avoid any further issues... :(

Thanks in advance :)
8 replies
Mar 2, 2014
631 posts
314 upvotes
I never had any issues with Philips Hue.
Other zigbee devices have been hit and miss for me
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2926 posts
1091 upvotes
Windsor
Hue are pretty good; a bit spendy, but if you can wait, they'll probably go on decent sale soon (~3ish weeks). Also, definitely get the Hue hub; Bluetooth Hue is a silly idea IMO.

If you are going to go Zigbee, I personally suggest ZLL bulbs, and use the Hue bridge. If you don't want the Hue bridge, I am pretty sure Sengled bulbs are known happy repeaters. I promise you my Cree ones aren't :).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34101 posts
7706 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
secretliar wrote: All my cheap Tuya devices are not connecting to the new WiFi, even after configuring a guest with only 2.4Ghz on WPA2-PSK (AES)...

My best guess would be than these devices don't like WiFi 6 / 802.11ax even in 2.4Ghz...
Do you have WiFi N enabled? 2.4 GHz is fine, but all these Tuya devices run on 802.11n. They don’t work on AX
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3033 posts
1778 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: Do you have WiFi N enabled? 2.4 GHz is fine, but all these Tuya devices run on 802.11n. They don’t work on AX
This is the most probable cause.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
520 posts
482 upvotes
Montréal area
IndyBeak wrote: This is the most probable cause.
Deco X20 is supposed to offer 802.11n:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-network ... ifications
Standards:
Wi-Fi 6
IEEE 802.11ax/ac/n/a 5 GHz
IEEE 802.11ax/n/b/g 2.4 GHz
I thought it was because of 802.11r enabled (fast roaming), but even without it, none of my Tuya devices wants to connect to it :( Anyway, I'll probably return the Deco as the cost to change devices is too high for me right now.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34101 posts
7706 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
secretliar wrote: Deco X20 is supposed to offer 802.11n:
I am sure it does. I would just make sure it is enabled.

Not sure why you went with the Deco x20? How many AX devices do you have? Was the EAP660 ever considered?

The alternative is to keep your X20 and just enable the WiFi on your modem for the Tuya devices
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
520 posts
482 upvotes
Montréal area
Gee wrote: I am sure it does. I would just make sure it is enabled.

Not sure why you went with the Deco x20? How many AX devices do you have? Was the EAP660 ever considered?

The alternative is to keep your X20 and just enable the WiFi on your modem for the Tuya devices
- Sadly, no way with Deco app or GUI to check exactly what is enabled.
- No ax devices yet, but wanted to update the Wifi to get faster roaming and choosing an AX devices (at the same price as other AC mesh) seemed a good idea. ASUS AiMesh is painfully slow when navigating the house on videocall or SIP but we will just stop walking during these events. Plus I was able to get rid of the old routers for half the price of the Deco X20, so it was supposed to be cheap upgrade :D
- EAP660 was not considered as I bough a pack a 3 Deco X20, one for each level.
- I need to keep the modem in bridge mode for NAT loopback , otherwise it doesn't work due to double NAT.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34101 posts
7706 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
secretliar wrote: - I need to keep the modem in bridge mode for NAT loopback , otherwise it doesn't work due to double NAT.
I am not familiar with the Deco X20, I assume it is doing your routing?

I would take the modem out of bridge mode and just disable DHCP, this will eliminate your double NAT problem while giving you access to the modem’s WiFi. You can dedicate the modem’s WiFi to your smart devices