• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2016 11:18 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
614 posts
183 upvotes
GTA

Zojirushi vs Instapot vs Aroma purchase

Hi I've been asked by my wife to replace her old flaking teflon rice cooker.

I've been looking at all options and not opposed to spending 200 for the Zojirushi/Tiger rice cookers when the sale comes down from Amazon.

We typically use our current cooker 2-3 times a week for my family of three. Its typically Jasmin, basmati, or wildrice if my wife beats me to loading up the cooker.

Other notes is that we steam 75% of our veggies and my wife likes oatmeal in the mornings.

I don't mind dropping the bigger bucks on a rice cooker because I am comparing it to an Oyster blender vs a vitamix mentality.

Has anyone used all three or a combination of the two? what route would you go? I like the idea of easiest to clean and a smaller footprint for storage as well.

http://www.amazon.ca/Aroma-ARC-914SBD-C ... ice+cooker

http://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX ... nstant+pot

http://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10 ... B00007J5U7
14 replies
Oct 24, 2005
745 posts
86 upvotes
Ditto!! Looking for a Zojirushi, and can't decide which one to buy (so many different models)! Also waiting for an Amazon sale!!
Oct 31, 2008
397 posts
107 upvotes
Canadian dollar is so cheap now a day and make these japanaese rice cookers so expensive lol.
If you can afford Induction Heating System rice cooker, I would suggest you to get one.

Induction heating system vs Fuzzy logic :
http://sacredrice.com/fuzzy-logic-vs-in ... e-cookers/

I think i got this for like $280 2 years ago .
http://www.amazon.ca/ZOJI-Zojirushi-NP- ... =Zojirushi

It cooks the rice perfectly and you can keep the rice for more than 2 days and the taste /texture is still the same( does not lose the quality much ) . With cheaper rice cooker , the rice would dry out if you use " keep warm " mode for more than 1 day .
Apr 8, 2011
234 posts
51 upvotes
Cuckoo (Korean brand) also has induction rice cookers. If you want to check them out at bricks and mortar, go to Galleria or HMart or other Korean supermarkets in GTA.
Oct 10, 2004
801 posts
132 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'd like to hear more comments about the Instapots. These seem to be ultra-versatile.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
614 posts
183 upvotes
GTA
velomane wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 5:08 pm
I like to hear more comments about the Instapots. These seem to be ultra-versatile.
That pretty much sums it up - is there a noticeable difference in initial rice taste/texture? Enough to justify buying both or saving 100 plus and grabbing the instapot.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1336 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah im interested as well. I never used or had a rice cooker, but i am also curious about the instapots.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7318 posts
2558 upvotes
Markham
I don't have the Ziroshi or Aroma cooker but I did buy the Instapot and am super happy with it. Very versatile and easy to use. The "sealing" feature ie no hissing pressure cooking is excellent and the main reason I use it over the stove top pressure cooker. Other pro over the stove top is you don't have to monitor when it hits high pressure as the electricity is self regulating the pressure. I've cooked multigrain/brown/regular/glutinous rice in in without pre-soaking and once you figure out the rice to water ratio and the cook times, it's a no brainer to make consistently excellent rice the way you like it. I also do a lot of stews, soups, etc.

There are lots of people who have it and use it. I doubt you would be disappointed in buying one and seeing for yourself.

I wouldn't buy a single purpose rice cooker as Instapot can do so much more.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2006
3831 posts
68 upvotes
Do all of these have a "non-stick" coating that will eventually peel off?
You're not funny.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
614 posts
183 upvotes
GTA
billdozer wrote:
Feb 26th, 2016 12:30 pm
Do all of these have a "non-stick" coating that will eventually peel off?
I've been looking at all the threads and instapot website and noticed they are stainless steel.

It's looking more and more like the instapot is the way to go.

I've set some price alerts and will end up going that route when Amazon drops the price unless they mark down a zojirushi rice cooker to a great deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1925 posts
612 upvotes
Edmonton
Instant Pot is stainless steel, although I've been using my Zojirushi rice cooker for ~5 years now, heavily, and other than a couple of scratches the coating has not started to peel off. I don't think there's as much of a concern about those as some people do, though (plus, Zojirushi's coating is not teflon anyway, and it cannot physically get hot enough to leech chemicals).

I will still use my Zojirushi for rice except in the rare instances I forget beforehand. In those cases I will do a 4 minute pressure cook of basmati - which including heat up and release time takes about 20-25 minutes for a big batch. And man, can you make a big batch of rice in the Instant Pot. It does, however, come out stickier and with less separate grains, presumably because it's a much harsher cooking method. But maybe there are tricks, or a way to make brown rice properly too - I've tried that a number of times and it's never come out quite right.

But it would be a good first purchase because it's useful for so many other things, and because the price of those Zojirushi/Tiger units has gone up so much in the past couple of years.

Cheapest I've seen the Instant Pot recently was $130 at London Drugs for the 7-in-1 - and if you go with the IP, you want the 6 quart version and the newer 7 in 1 model, not just for the yogurt function but for the better lid and ability to use a glass lid for slow cooking. Though the slow cooking is my only real issue with it - it cooks too hot to be perfectly equivalent to a regular slow cooker, so you will have to add liquid and I would not trust it to sit all day without running dry and burning.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7318 posts
2558 upvotes
Markham
Skadefryd wrote:
Feb 26th, 2016 2:41 pm
Instant Pot is stainless steel, although I've been using my Zojirushi rice cooker for ~5 years now, heavily, and other than a couple of scratches the coating has not started to peel off. I don't think there's as much of a concern about those as some people do, though (plus, Zojirushi's coating is not teflon anyway, and it cannot physically get hot enough to leech chemicals).

I will still use my Zojirushi for rice except in the rare instances I forget beforehand. In those cases I will do a 4 minute pressure cook of basmati - which including heat up and release time takes about 20-25 minutes for a big batch. And man, can you make a big batch of rice in the Instant Pot. It does, however, come out stickier and with less separate grains, presumably because it's a much harsher cooking method. But maybe there are tricks, or a way to make brown rice properly too - I've tried that a number of times and it's never come out quite right.

But it would be a good first purchase because it's useful for so many other things, and because the price of those Zojirushi/Tiger units has gone up so much in the past couple of years.

Cheapest I've seen the Instant Pot recently was $130 at London Drugs for the 7-in-1 - and if you go with the IP, you want the 6 quart version and the newer 7 in 1 model, not just for the yogurt function but for the better lid and ability to use a glass lid for slow cooking. Though the slow cooking is my only real issue with it - it cooks too hot to be perfectly equivalent to a regular slow cooker, so you will have to add liquid and I would not trust it to sit all day without running dry and burning.
If you find the rice too sticky in the InstantPot...cook it shorter time and/or use less water and/or natural release the pressure earlier at around 10 minute mark. The steam is locked in there if you don't release it. You have to experiment a bit to find the right formula.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 10, 2009
799 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Super happy with my Zojirushi TSC-10. I sometimes use it twice a day. My main uses are rice (obviously) steaming vegetables (it has a steamer with it) and making oatmeal. Absolutely no complaints, even cleaning it is relatively painless.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2025 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
T&T in Mississauga has the Zoji rice cookers on sale this week. Picked up this for $380. Other models are on sale too, but forgot to take photos. I hope this lasts as we will use it heavily.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
174 upvotes
North York
What makes a $380 rice cooker worth more than one that is $150. There is no difference in physical strength (like in a blender) and other than the mechanism of cooking (induction or an actual heating element) I don't see how the models can vary so much as to justify a higher price.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted: