• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 1:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
923 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Zoom job interviews are harder than they look

i had one for the first time and its very weird. For one I had delays and sound issues with my interviewer so it seemed like i was cutting her off........ when in actuality there is a delay.

Web cam got blurrier as the conversation went on and this really threw me off. Not being able to see my interviewer and gauge their body language hurt me.

Overall I was not pleased with how I performed and this makes me sad as its so difficult to even LAND an interview during a pandemic. Im awaiting my results if I will make it to next round.
32 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10941 posts
4242 upvotes
Yea maybe the interviewer should have scheduled a test session a few days before just to make sure the sound and video are working properly. or start early and re-schedule if necessary,
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
May 2, 2014
458 posts
176 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: i had one for the first time and its very weird. For one I had delays and sound issues with my interviewer so it seemed like i was cutting her off........ when in actuality there is a delay.

Web cam got blurrier as the conversation went on and this really threw me off. Not being able to see my interviewer and gauge their body language hurt me.

Overall I was not pleased with how I performed and this makes me sad as its so difficult to even LAND an interview during a pandemic. Im awaiting my results if I will make it to next round.
i have had worse..... i forgot to put on clothes during my zoom interview.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Why not think of it this way

Other interviewees may have run into the same issues you had. Maybe you performed better than them. :)

But yes I agree these zoom things suck ass
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37373 posts
23437 upvotes
Center of Universe
mikolyyyy wrote: i had one for the first time and its very weird. For one I had delays and sound issues with my interviewer so it seemed like i was cutting her off........ when in actuality there is a delay.

Use your mobile device or tablet.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12753 posts
2841 upvotes
Toronto
Or plug in the ethernet cable to your device if you can. I've done that a few times for my work laptop and it worked.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2738 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Or plug in the ethernet cable to your device if you can. I've done that a few times for my work laptop and it worked.
It could be on their end. Their Internet speed may not be that great.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7171 posts
8777 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That's just the nature of the technology. I thinking using the dial-in number helps a bit, but I wouldn't worry too much about this.
mikolyyyy wrote: Web cam got blurrier as the conversation went on and this really threw me off. Not being able to see my interviewer and gauge their body language hurt me.
Nothing you can do about the interviewer speaking moistly at the webcam :D
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
923 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I didnt get the job lol. I did learn something from this experience tho
Jun 30, 2017
254 posts
229 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: I didnt get the job lol. I did learn something from this experience tho
wow they got back to you after one day?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
620 upvotes
DT Calgary
RealRayRey wrote: wow they got back to you after one day?
Damn that's quick lol. They must have been pretty certain OP wasn't the one.

Usually its closer to a week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6385 posts
5754 upvotes
OP it's probably not as bad as you think. Also if the issue is on their end, it's probably not the first time. Was the interviewer at home or their office? Was there more than one person?

Zoom meeting produce a pop to the person who has connectivity issues as well. Yesterday I had a Zoom meeting. First 45mins were fine and then it was so choppy that we couldn't continue. I'm fairly confident someone on her end started streaming or something, which reduced the quality. Make sure nobody on your end is streaming or downloading large fines during the interview. I definitely would NOT suggest using a phone or tablet for an interview - that's a really bad idea and it's not professional.

Edit: just saw you didn't get it. Definitely look at it as practice...don't be down about it especially as it was your first. The right one will come along.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
923 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hierophant wrote: OP it's probably not as bad as you think. Also if the issue is on their end, it's probably not the first time. Was the interviewer at home or their office? Was there more than one person?

Zoom meeting produce a pop to the person who has connectivity issues as well. Yesterday I had a Zoom meeting. First 45mins were fine and then it was so choppy that we couldn't continue. I'm fairly confident someone on her end started streaming or something, which reduced the quality. Make sure nobody on your end is streaming or downloading large fines during the interview. I definitely would NOT suggest using a phone or tablet for an interview - that's a really bad idea and it's not professional.

Edit: just saw you didn't get it. Definitely look at it as practice...don't be down about it especially as it was your first. The right one will come along.
Thank you for the encouraging words, but I knew the interview was a bust as I was doing it. I can usually feel when I did well and I definitely did not feel that here lol. I will be better prepared next time.

Im so confidant in job interviews but in this new style has thrown me off so much. I wont let that happen again.

Kind of depressed again since I gotta start from scratch again when it comes to getting a job interview.
Jun 30, 2017
254 posts
229 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: Thank you for the encouraging words, but I knew the interview was a bust as I was doing it. I can usually feel when I did well and I definitely did not feel that here lol. I will be better prepared next time.

Im so confidant in job interviews but in this new style has thrown me off so much. I wont let that happen again.

Kind of depressed again since I gotta start from scratch again when it comes to getting a job interview.
tough market out there right now but if you got an interview, at least you know your resume is good!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2361 posts
1760 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I've had a few Zoom meetings/conferences along with Microsoft Teams meetings and Cisco WebEx meetings/conferences.

My suggestion would be to make sure that when you attend these virtual meetings/interviews/conferences or whatever they happen to be is that you make sure that your internet speed is fine in your location for "constant" streaming. Like currently being shown by Bell in at least the Montreal area on their commercials with a lady moving around her entire house during a video conference call as she is interrupted by background noise and her family. She eventually moves to the garage for the video conference. For me, my internet would reach my garage for browsing but if I were to try to constantly stream something like YouTube/Netflix/CraveTV/Disney+, it will occasionally buffer and pause making this not the ideal location (in my case) for such a conference/meeting.

In an interview, the background is very important so make sure what is behind you is presentable and not messy and whereas a virtual background might be fine with colleagues that you've interacted with regularly or occasionally at work, I wouldn't suggest a virtual background (regardless of the image) in a virtual interview

If possible, use a wired connection to connect your computer/laptop to the internet. This is generally faster and less prone to problems/interference from other devices and other WiFi access points or routers within your area.

Close any programs that you aren't actively using during the meeting/conference/interview as this may slow down your computer performance especially if you already have a slow computer

If you have a multi-monitor set up, be careful where you are looking for the interview since it might seem like a good idea to have your notes/CV/cover letter on the other monitor so you can occasionally look at it but the interviewer will be put off if your eyes regularly look away from the front of your webcam.

If the conference method used has the option for calling in, what I often do for my meetings is that I would call in from my landline (and have this on speakerphone) and reduce the volume on my computer. This way, my internet speed or computer issues with speed/performance, don't affect the sound/conversation from the interviewer. If using a cellphone for this as opposed to a landline, I would be careful about doing that since if cellphone reception isn't great in your place (it isn't great in my place) or your cellphone is crappy, your conversation with the interviewer might have the occasional pause/interrruption and it might be better to use your computer instead for the audio.

If they are using an conferencing solution that offers free limited accounts (like Zoom), practice/test it out with friends or family members to see if everything technologically works fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
On my end I have stats and monitors, it does show huuuuuuge latency and spikes. Anywhere from 100ms to 600ms. I pretty much have to give candidates a heads up if my latency is above 500ms. VPN and network traffic and Wifi traffic at home. Any given time 2-3 of us are doing a video call at home. Not everyone has fibre or sufficient high speed access for the entire family. 2 working parents plus kids gaming/streaming videos...

If you feel like you're cutting people off, it means you're not pausing for at least a whole second with your answer which you should do anyways.

It's most likely on the company's end, they have layers of VPNs or worse, they remote into their office which is a terrible set up...that's at least 2000ms latency

Most important is audio, make sure you either use a headset or a decent mic, even if video screws up at least have clear audio so they can hear your answers.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2016 posts
510 upvotes
Hamilton
Video or phone only is hard.

But don't beat yourself up, sometimes it's just not the right job or they're not really interested and are going through the motions.

Goop OP.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
923 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto, ON
:( I probably wouldnt have got the job regardless. Was underqualified and what they were asking for was kind of ridiculous for someone with only 5 yrs exp. I thought the pay was awesome but after I heard what they wanted i thought the pay was too low and I shouldnt have even been called in as i was not qualified

I had an external mic. My audio was awesome but combination of technical issues, ne not being able to hear the interviewer made me look worse than usual
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: :( I probably wouldnt have got the job regardless. Was underqualified and what they were asking for was kind of ridiculous for someone with only 5 yrs exp. I thought the pay was awesome but after I heard what they wanted i thought the pay was too low and I shouldnt have even been called in as i was not qualified
Theres a lot of that right now....jobs with insane requirements (like pages long) but they list it as 'entry level'. In other words, we are looking for someone experienced but don't want to pay the salary that goes with that.

Very similar to what happened during 2008 recession. Joy of joys.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)