• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2020 9:59 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2015
501 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Is Zoom malware or a security risk?

Zoom is becoming a popular way of networking and staying in touch... how safe is it?

Just about to begin researching it - I had some ask me about this because someone said something....

Anyone else hear stories that question Zoom?
60 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge
Never heard of it until I saw this on The Verge.

Basically use at your own risk. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10353 posts
6821 upvotes
It's just not built with security in mind... These days, it means skip it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9536 posts
4740 upvotes
Markham
Is this for work or personal? Try houseparty lol
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1964 posts
955 upvotes
London
smartie wrote: They have some bad news recently

Tesla and nasa ban using it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsgu ... ivacy-woes
Good info.
My read on that is that the way many are using it, such as keeping in touch with Grandma, and watching church services, it really is a non issue.
Some common sense stuff about not clicking links from unknown sources, etc.
Hosts need to controller bombers.

In a situation such as a business, etc. (Nasa) where guaranteed confidentiality of content must be maintained, it has issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s a security risk and a privacy risk as well. They have a poor history of security and privacy.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1268 posts
738 upvotes
Waterloo
I've been using Zoom for years in my job to run internal and external meetings and haven't had a problem with the actual use. That said, not surprised to hear about the privacy concerns at all. Just like with anything it's a matter of who you trust your data with - just like choosing Huawei vs. Samsung vs. Apple; someone is going to have access to it, so who do you feel most comfortable with?

The Chinese? The NSA? Facebook? Google?

In my case I'm just going to continue to use Zoom as it's been working well and is generally user-friendly; ultimately it's up to my company to decide whether they'd like to switch, but the alternatives aren't that great from a usability or privacy perspective either...
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
44 upvotes
smartie wrote: Is this for work or personal? Try houseparty lol
Oh man the rooms I've walked into using house party. If anyone uses this app, MAKE SURE you LOCK the door otherwise you will have friends of friends pop in. If you don't "lock" the door, and you are having a private chat, anyone can just pop right in without accepting any requests. So I've been having a lot of fun jumping into middle of conversations with friends.

It's funny how the lingo goes these days. "Hey you want to come over tonight to my house party? So far I have so and so coming. You should come over! It will be fun" I feel like we live in a futuristic world where we are now teleporting to other people's homes without the physical teleporting. I'm sure VR parties are just around the corner now with deep fake

I've always felt sketchy about zoom. I've had some vendors reach out to me and insist i download it. I didn't get a secure vibe from it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9536 posts
4740 upvotes
Markham
bargainhunter99 wrote: Oh man the rooms I've walked into using house party. If anyone uses this app, MAKE SURE you LOCK the door otherwise you will have friends of friends pop in. If you don't "lock" the door, and you are having a private chat, anyone can just pop right in without accepting any requests. So I've been having a lot of fun jumping into middle of conversations with friends.

It's funny how the lingo goes these days. "Hey you want to come over tonight to my house party? So far I have so and so coming. You should come over! It will be fun" I feel like we live in a futuristic world where we are now teleporting to other people's homes without the physical teleporting. I'm sure VR parties are just around the corner now with deep fake

I've always felt sketchy about zoom. I've had some vendors reach out to me and insist i download it. I didn't get a secure vibe from it.
I feel houseparty is celebrities driven. At least i knew it from Instagram
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2228 posts
1369 upvotes
North Vancouver
My employer just banned its use due to security concerns.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1030 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver
There is no security risk with zoom. Just that it being the latest(and best imo) kid on the block, it's getting a lot of attention and a lot of PR.

One of it's features has always been able to join meetings with just a meeting number, without signing up or anything. This feature is now being exploited to join random meetings.

To avoid this, change your default settings so that new join'ees either need a password or need approval from the host
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
792 upvotes
centre of universe
kramer1 wrote: There is no security risk with zoom. Just that it being the latest(and best imo) kid on the block, it's getting a lot of attention and a lot of PR.

One of it's features has always been able to join meetings with just a meeting number, without signing up or anything. This feature is now being exploited to join random meetings.

To avoid this, change your default settings so that new join'ees either need a password or need approval from the host
really? who told you that? Didn't company admitted of that issue and will focus more on Security than features?http://www.redflagdeals.com/
And there were security issue well before. Like June/July 2019.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1030 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver
callernamet wrote: really? who told you that? Didn't company admitted of that issue and will focus more on Security than features?
I read all the security articles and know how to think & deduce. Don't need to be told.

Also, I work in website security & malware, so well versed with this world
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
792 upvotes
centre of universe
kramer1 wrote: I read all the security articles and know how to think & deduce. Don't need to be told.

Also, I work in website security & malware, so well versed with this world
And yet you said this "There is no security risk with zoom." after company admitted it.
Anyway good luck to whatever you believe and your company.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1261 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Most big companies are banning it, I know ours did. Jitsi is a popular open source alternative.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
792 upvotes
centre of universe
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1030 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver
callernamet wrote: And yet you said this "There is no security risk with zoom." after company admitted it.
Anyway good luck to whatever you believe and your company.
Ummmm, did you even read my first post, past the first line?

One of the unique selling points of Zoom is being exploited, but that doesn't make it malware or malicious. It just means that one of their features is being abused or misused.

Also, it is trivial to change your meeting settings to avoid the issues.

With this being said, the default Zoom settings are incredibly lax and will switch on your camera/mic etc automatically. Which is why they have refocused to security & are trying to fulfill their promises of end-to-end encryption

EDIT: Big companies are banning it is not an indicator. Most of them also think Microsoft products are great & secure
Jul 16, 2008
345 posts
109 upvotes
ON
Zoom is basically a facial recognition software for the CCP. Their server is in China which means you can say goodbye to your privacy.

Tiktok is another form of facial recognition software from the CCP aimed at the younger crowds.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15785 posts
2387 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Which is why they have refocused to security & are trying to fulfill their promises of end-to-end encryption
Oh, the 256-bit encryption they promised that turns out is really only 128-bit encryption?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.