21581 upvotes
Toronto

For schools (K-12) - Zoom lifts 40 minute limit on free accounts

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Zoom
As of March 23 applies to Canadian schools too

https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/03/ ... -learning/

As for my own experience. We tried Zoom and Google Hangouts for Jackbox sessions with friends. Zoom was by far the winner in our informal testing. Much better audio and video streaming overall.
Last edited by sprung on Mar 27th, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
64 replies
Mar 26, 2020
1 posts
4 upvotes
There's potential security issues with zoom.

See here

Using a virtual machine can get over some of these issues, but not all.

Jitsi is a free, web-based, open-source tool that does not need an account, if anyone's looking for an alternative. It has apps, and works with most browsers (some of which have extensions)

Just a heads up :)
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1368 posts
933 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
trucanuck wrote: Was in a zoom call this week with family when this happened. Kind of liked the 40 minute limit with my family....
I don't understand the hype with Zoom. Skype does the same thing for meetings below 25 people, and there's no limit! But I'm not telling some of my acquaintances that....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6717 posts
2431 upvotes
Markham
chevyz07 wrote: I don't understand the hype with Zoom. Skype does the same thing for meetings below 25 people, and there's no limit! But I'm not telling some of my acquaintances that....
You mean skype has attendant limit to max 25? Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1414 posts
305 upvotes
Zoom is very easy to use.
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1857 posts
394 upvotes
Isn't Google Meet the easiest? No program or app required. Just a browser and works on any device. Supports hundred of simultaneous users in one chat.

Everyone just goes to meet.google.com

Or am I missing something?
Last edited by Raimond on Mar 27th, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 11, 2007
36 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
does Skype offer breakout rooms like zoom? cant find it on their site.
Sep 12, 2006
145 posts
93 upvotes
Zoom has a setting to use "original sound", very usefulfor online music lessons so the background noise and low volume noise doesn't get noise reduction applied. Google it if you want more info. I honestly haven't investigated the other tools to see if they have something similar but I didn't see it on a quick search.
Jul 30, 2006
210 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
We used zoom at work. After researching extensively through all the different video conference solution, Zoom is actually by far the easiest to use and best picture and sound quality. It's a bandwidth hog, but you can't beat how smooth it is.
Jun 6, 2011
214 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
My office just finished a 22 person meeting this morning and we got booted off after the 40 min limit. Btw, poor zoom is getting royally ripped off; I don't know of a single team that's actually paying for the corporate accounts.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1368 posts
933 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
smartie wrote: You mean skype has attendant limit to max 25? Thanks
For video calls. Audio is even more, 50 I think
timeoninternet wrote: Zoom is very easy to use.
meet.google.com is even easier, so again still no reason why there's so much hype around Zoom
Raimond wrote: Isn't Google Meet the easiest? No program or app required. Just a browser and works on any device. Supports hundred of simultaneous users in one chat.

Yeah if you want to talk ease of access meet.google.com is even easier
yeesun wrote: does Skype offer breakout rooms like zoom? cant find it on their site.
No it doesn't, at least not for Skype personal.
Nov 18, 2012
880 posts
480 upvotes
Raimond wrote: Isn't Google Meet the easiest? No program or app required. Just a browser and works on any device. Supports hundred of simultaneous users in one chat.

Been told by some aussie that it has to do with the codec quality mostly

Google hangout/meet can't run on a shit connection in the sticks while zoom works great.

Don't know if its true, my kids are using it and today the teacher tried to play a basic mp4 video through her screen and it was showing stills of every 2-3 secs.. That's with everyone having fiber 200/200 to 1000/1000 or uncapped 4g.
Jan 29, 2015
134 posts
92 upvotes
From experience zoom simply performs better overall than hangout when it's more than a simple 1 on 1 meeting. I'm not even considering skype.
Sep 12, 2006
145 posts
93 upvotes
drgrittani wrote: Zoom has a setting to use "original sound", very useful for online music lessons so the background noise and low volume noise doesn't get noise reduction applied. Google it if you want more info. I honestly haven't investigated the other tools to see if they have something similar but I didn't see it on a quick search.
Here's a good explanation https://networkphil.com/2020/03/23/opti ... ic-lesson/ .
And we use a zoom (coincidence that it is the same name I think) H2 as an external microphone as explained here

And if anyone wants online cello lessons, I have professional family members who are doing this now. PM if interested. One is currently (until the recent shutdown) subbing for the the TSO.