Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 5GB data/800 min anytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 9:50 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
11980 posts
10888 upvotes
For the last few years, I have been putting all my mobile eggs in one Zoomer basket.
After waiting for 6 months for Zoomer to improve their plan, I am ready to move my first Zoomer line, activated in 2014, to PM $40 4.5GB plan

PM plan details:
$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed
  • 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • $2/m off on autopay - Net cost = $38/m for 4.5GB
I may move my first Zoomer line back to Zoomer if Zoomer improves on their loyalty plan.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3312 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: For the last few years, I have been putting all my mobile eggs in one Zoomer basket.
After waiting for 6 months for Zoomer to improve their plan, I am ready to move my first Zoomer line, activated in 2014, to PM $40 4.5GB plan

PM plan details:
$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed
  • 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • $2/m off on autopay - Net cost = $38/m for 4.5GB
I may move my first Zoomer line back to Zoomer if Zoomer improves on their loyalty plan.
I bet you will move from PM to Koodo when they offer you the $40/6GB plan.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
11980 posts
10888 upvotes
9613019 wrote: I bet you will move from PM to Koodo when they offer you the $40/6GB plan.
Well, $38/m for 4.5GB is better than the Zoomer $40.5 3GB loyalty plan even the Koodo $40/6GB migration plan never offered again. I am happy to stay with PM $38 4.5GB plan until a better low cost plan comes along. PM plans are prepaid plans. I can move it at any time I want.

I am hoping people starting to vote with their wallet. Sooner or later, Zoomer will improve on their plan. As I said in my last post, I got too many mobile eggs in Zoomer basket. It is time for me to diversify.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3312 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Well, $38/m for 4.5GB is better than the Zoomer $40.5 3GB loyalty plan even the Koodo $40/6GB migration plan never offered again. I am happy to stay with PM $38 4.5GB plan until a better low cost plan comes along. PM plans are prepaid plans. I can move it at any time I want.

I am hoping people starting to vote with their wallet. Sooner or later, Zoomer will improve on their plan. As I said in my last post, I got too many mobile eggs in Zoomer basket. It is time for me to diversify.
PM also has some advantages on US roaming.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
embguy wrote: For the last few years, I have been putting all my mobile eggs in one Zoomer basket.
After waiting for 6 months for Zoomer to improve their plan, I am ready to move my first Zoomer line, activated in 2014, to PM $40 4.5GB plan

PM plan details:
$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed
  • 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • $2/m off on autopay - Net cost = $38/m for 4.5GB
I may move my first Zoomer line back to Zoomer if Zoomer improves on their loyalty plan.
What does "30-day plan" mean?
That the $40 price is only good for 30 days?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19489 posts
7617 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Well, $38/m for 4.5GB is better than the Zoomer $40.5 3GB loyalty plan even the Koodo $40/6GB migration plan never offered again. I am happy to stay with PM $38 4.5GB plan until a better low cost plan comes along. PM plans are prepaid plans. I can move it at any time I want.

I am hoping people starting to vote with their wallet. Sooner or later, Zoomer will improve on their plan. As I said in my last post, I got too many mobile eggs in Zoomer basket. It is time for me to diversify.
Well, I have helped the folks loyal to this service immensely by walking out on them. They thought stiffing me with a huge bill for an overpriced G4 was enough pain to keep me. It didn't work. I left on them last month after asking nicely 6 times and still being refused the $36/3GB offer without paying the device balance. Actually with the proceeds from selling the G4 and 4 referrals along the way, I didn't do that badly overall.

I too worry about too many eggs in one basket which is why I was with this service in the first place. Now, I am all in with Telus even if it is spread over two brands. I have made the best use of the madness they created with the big 25% price increase scare and the mad rush to Koodo in February. The lessons learned from that is I need to remain loyal to the wallet more than ever and be ready to move around if that is what it takes to minimize costs. Thus I am ready to go back to Public Mobile so that I can do the migration all over again.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19489 posts
7617 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: What does "30-day plan" mean?
That the $40 price is only good for 30 days?
It means that the cost covers 30 days of usage and you have to renew the same plan at the same cost each 30 days. Twelve cycles covers only 360 days and not 365 like other carrier brands.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
will888 wrote: It means that the cost covers 30 days of usage and you have to renew the same plan at the same cost each 30 days. Twelve cycles covers only 360 days and not 365 like other carrier brands.
Thanks - that isn't terribly clear from looking at their website.

I'm surprised people go for that.
For one, I have better things to do than renew my cellphone plan every 30 days, especially since 30 days is an odd number compared to other payments which are typically monthly or bi-weekly.
But I also assume that the plan can change every 30 days.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
will888 wrote: I left on them last month after asking nicely 6 times and still being refused the $36/3GB offer without paying the device balance.
In all fairness - if they waived the device balance for you, word would get out and they then would have to waive the device balance for everyone who asked.

That's one thing I hated about cell phone service years ago - people would haggle like at the Turkish market and then proudly post the great deal they got just to be shot down by the next guy who got something slightly better.
Maybe one can stil "haggle" with some companies, but that's not for me except for large purchases - car, house, that type of thing.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1045 posts
1097 upvotes
will888 wrote: Well, I have helped the folks loyal to this service immensely by walking out on them. They thought stiffing me with a huge bill for an overpriced G4 was enough pain to keep me. It didn't work. I left on them last month after asking nicely 6 times and still being refused the $36/3GB offer without paying the device balance. Actually with the proceeds from selling the G4 and 4 referrals along the way, I didn't do that badly overall.
Your account probably have been noted 6 times by CSRs for the same reason of contact. LOL. This isn't the service for you and they're probably ok with you leaving, because denying you the plan and letting you transfer out and cancel is better (for them) than you telling the world on RFD about how you got the plan without paying the device balance, and the ensuing volume of contact from other lurkers trying to do the same thing.

The long game with amassing thousands of dollars in referrals would make more sense with Zoomer instead of the crappy referral of Public Mobile. The OP of this thread for instance probably has enough referrals to not pay a cellphone bill for a year or two.
krs wrote: That's one thing I hated about cell phone service years ago - people would haggle like at the Turkish market and then proudly post the great deal they got just to be shot down by the next guy who got something slightly better.
Yup, when I get really good deals and I want to keep the deal without the company killing my deal, I STFU and not say anything.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19489 posts
7617 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: Thanks - that isn't terribly clear from looking at their website.

I'm surprised people go for that.
For one, I have better things to do than renew my cellphone plan every 30 days, especially since 30 days is an odd number compared to other payments which are typically monthly or bi-weekly.
But I also assume that the plan can change every 30 days.
Ever since the new wireless code came into effect, every carrier is doing to same thing, even for post paid accounts. We no longer have real contracts, just device balance terms that are not allowed to exceed 24 months by rule. We are free to leave at any time and so without contract, each payment constitutes a renewal. Because Public Mobile is prepaid, this is that much more apparent. Since so called renewal involves simply paying the bill for the next 30 days of service, it is not like it is a huge undertaking. BTW, in post paid accounts, the included service is actually prepaid. The post paid component only includes additional usage outside of the normal plan. Long story short, I would not get hung up over this.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19489 posts
7617 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote: Your account probably have been noted 6 times by CSRs for the same reason of contact. LOL. This isn't the service for you and they're probably ok with you leaving, because denying you the plan and letting you transfer out and cancel is better (for them) than you telling the world on RFD about how you got the plan without paying the device balance, and the ensuing volume of contact from other lurkers trying to do the same thing.

The long game with amassing thousands of dollars in referrals would make more sense with Zoomer instead of the crappy referral of Public Mobile. The OP of this thread for instance probably has enough referrals to not pay a cellphone bill for a year or two.
It is totally evident that Zoomer has a virtually unwavering policy with respect to handling cases like mine. If their policy was flexible, then yes they run the risk that I would share my experiences with others. That comes with the territory of a flexible policy. Personally, I am a firm believer that all inflexible systems must have certain flexibility. There is never such absolutes as a "one size fit all". As great as their customer service is, they will be hurt by this. It is a mark against customer service. Don't expect any kind of goodwill from this brand.

You are probably correct about OP's situation with Zoomer. Unfortunately, there is only a select few or the one that is in the envious position of having perpetual free service. In spite of the referral rewards being much weaker at Public Mobile, I would recommend the service just the same and with similar passion as OP does in this thread. In fact, my recommendation of Public Mobile is less tainted by ulterior motives.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19489 posts
7617 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: In all fairness - if they waived the device balance for you, word would get out and they then would have to waive the device balance for everyone who asked.

That's one thing I hated about cell phone service years ago - people would haggle like at the Turkish market and then proudly post the great deal they got just to be shot down by the next guy who got something slightly better.
Maybe one can stil "haggle" with some companies, but that's not for me except for large purchases - car, house, that type of thing.
What is wrong with bargaining? It is totally legal and fair way to conduct business. I would agree for larger purchases, there is more benefit in bargaining. Each person decides differently on the merits of bargaining and whether the considerations involved are large enough to warrant it. I am not going to judge others on where they draw the line on bargaining. The line should never be force drawn to the detriment of those who want to bargain.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6023 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
will888 wrote: Ever since the new wireless code came into effect, every carrier is doing to same thing, even for post paid accounts. We no longer have real contracts, just device balance terms that are not allowed to exceed 24 months by rule. We are free to leave at any time and so without contract, each payment constitutes a renewal.
I didn't see it that way.
With Zoomers you have a two-year commitment by both the cell phone provider and the user.
To me that means Zoomer is committed to provide the service at the agreed to price and the user is committed to pay the monthly fee each month for two years.
The terms for the user to break the contract is to pay a penalty based on the number of months still left in the two-year term. That's really no different than what happened before the new wireless code except there the terms were variable and up to three years. For the old "contracts" the penalty if you wanted out early was also based on the number of months left in the agreement
Not sure how Zoomers can break their committment - haven't read all the fine print.

But with the PM approach, it seems to me their committment to the service and price is just 30 days - if they want to change either or both they can do that every 30 days and if the user doesn't like it, they have to go scrambling to get a new plan probably with somebody else and post the number.

With Zoomers approach, I have automatic payments set up with my credit card - I know what the payment should be every month.
With PM I wouldn't do that since I never know if they will renew each 30 days with the same terms and conditions as before.
And the plans of these two providers are not really simply comparible unless I'm missing something with PM - Zoomers monthly fee includes a payment for the service and for the hardware; PM's monthly fee just covers the service. PM doesn't even offer phones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3312 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: What is wrong with bargaining? It is totally legal and fair way to conduct business. I would agree for larger purchases, there is more benefit in bargaining. Each person decides differently on the merits of bargaining and whether the considerations involved are large enough to warrant it. I am not going to judge others on where they draw the line on bargaining. The line should never be force drawn to the detriment of those who want to bargain.
I think 1st tier providers (Rogers/Telus/Bell) have the most bargaining room and 2nd tier providers (Fido/Koodo/Virgin) have some room for bargaining. 3rd tier providers (Chatr/Public/Lucky) basically have no room for negotiation. Zoomer (Cityfone) is in the middle of 2nd and 3rd tier, so it is not suprise that they do not have much room for negotiation. Since they are targeting at a niche market, they may just want to attract these customers who do not like bargaining to cut cost.

One big issue Zoomer has is the high device balance. Apparently, they use it as a way to prevent early cancellation. In most cases, they use MSRP on a 1 old phone. In some cases, their listing price is even higher than the original MRSP, such as A5 and A8.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet

Top