Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 5GB data/800 min anytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 8:27 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth
Ferkner wrote: I would jump at this as I have been looking for an affordable plan with data, but the two-year term thing irks me. I have always done no contract plans where i could cancel at any time. What are the penalties if I have to cancel early?
Get the moto e5 phone, which retails for $150 - included free when you sign for 2 years. If you cancel before two years, your cancellation fee is whatever remains of the $150/24 months, plus tax. However, factor in referrals at $50 each until Oct 10th.

Sell the moto e5. Pickup a phone through koodo. Never pay full retail price for a phone. Always going on sale, as long as you don't need the latest, greatest phone.
Last edited by Oatmeal on Sep 26th, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telus $45 25GB, Unlimited talk/text Nationwide
Public Mobile
Jul 18, 2015
177 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Ferkner wrote: I would jump at this as I have been looking for an affordable plan with data, but the two-year term thing irks me. I have always done no contract plans where i could cancel at any time. What are the penalties if I have to cancel early?

You will have to be off the value of the phone you own. For example if you pick the $150 phone and you want to cancel 6 months in you will pay 150/24 = 6.25 * 18 months left on the contract = $112.50. You can then take the phone and probably sell it for the same amount so you're not losing any money,
Dec 3, 2007
993 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
ae86fr wrote: you have to pay off the phone u got. it's why ppl suggest you get the cheapest phone they offer if you plan on not staying for the 2 full years so you can pay less when you leave.
It's not that I don't intend on staying the two years, but sometimes life happens and you have to cut corners to even things out.
May 16, 2018
120 posts
18 upvotes
I'm currently on the $36/3gb plan. Do I have to wait until 6 months to get 4gb?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth
Snorlax91 wrote: I'm currently on the $36/3gb plan. Do I have to wait until 6 months to get 4gb?
Usually yes, but YMMV since people have been getting it earlier. Give them a call or use their online chat and ask. Nothing to lose.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11976 posts
10882 upvotes
Snorlax91 wrote: I'm currently on the $36/3gb plan. Do I have to wait until 6 months to get 4gb?
NO, the current market plan is $36 400 CW minutes + 4GB data with 2 years contract + a free phone.
After 6 months, your $36 loyalty plan with unlimited CW minutes + 4GB data.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
May 16, 2018
120 posts
18 upvotes
embguy wrote: NO, the current market plan is $36 400 CW minutes + 4GB data with 2 years contract + a free phone.
After 6 months, your $36 loyalty plan with unlimited CW minutes + 4GB data.
Tried calling as well as chat. Neither would give me the 4gb unfortunately. They said I had to be signed up either within the last 30 days or be signed up for 6 months in order to get the 4gb. I signed up 3 months ago.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11976 posts
10882 upvotes
Snorlax91 wrote: Tried calling as well as chat. Neither would give me the 4gb unfortunately. They said I had to be signed up either within the last 30 days or be signed up for 6 months in order to get the 4gb. I signed up 3 months ago.
I online chat a few days ago. I was told about the $36 4GB current market plan.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
May 16, 2018
120 posts
18 upvotes
Right. But since I'm an existing customer who's been on the $36/3gb plan for 3 months, I'm not eligible to be upgraded to 4gb until I hit 6 months.
Dec 3, 2007
993 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
Oatmeal wrote: Get the moto e5 phone, which retails for $150 - included free when you sign for 2 years. If you cancel before two years, your cancellation fee is whatever remains of the $150/24 months, plus tax. However, factor in referrals at $50 each until Oct 10th.

Sell the moto e5. Pickup a phone through koodo. Never pay full retail price for a phone. Always going on sale, as long as you don't need the latest, greatest phone.
If I get the Moto E5, I would probably use it. I am still currently using the Lumia 640. I love the OS, but it's dead. And the phone is old and opening apps is slow, even something like Calculator. The E5 would be fine until I get something better like the Zenfone 5z or whatever is next.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth
Ferkner wrote: If I get the Moto E5, I would probably use it. I am still currently using the Lumia 640. I love the OS, but it's dead. And the phone is old and opening apps is slow, even something like Calculator. The E5 would be fine until I get something better like the Zenfone 5z or whatever is next.
For sure, can hardly go wrong with a free phone.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11976 posts
10882 upvotes
Snorlax91 wrote: Right. But since I'm an existing customer who's been on the $36/3gb plan for 3 months, I'm not eligible to be upgraded to 4gb until I hit 6 months.
Okay. Now I understand you situation.

This is one of the bad thing about Zoomer/Cityfone. Since you are more than 1 month and less than 6 months with Zoomer, they will not let you switch to a new market plan without paying off your phone account balance and sign another 2 years contract to get into a new market plan. If you are less than one month with Zoomer, they will let you switch to a new market plan because you can cancel your plan within 1 month after activation.

Unfortunately, this is how Cityfone/zoomer works. I am sorry to tell you this. Zoomer does not entertain private deal like other carrier. If you are not qualify for that plan according to their rule book, you are out of luck. period.

Can you live with 3GB for 3 months? Just ride it out - you are almost there.
Feb 12, 2008
234 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyway not to get a phone and still get the plan? Id like to see what blackfriday has for koodo but could really use a cheaper plan. Currently on 5 dollar tablet plan but im missing calls and its costing me money. How long do I have to return if something comes up better for koodo?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3312 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
joe77 wrote: Anyway not to get a phone and still get the plan? Id like to see what blackfriday has for koodo but could really use a cheaper plan. Currently on 5 dollar tablet plan but im missing calls and its costing me money. How long do I have to return if something comes up better for koodo?
The best way is to get the Moto E5 Play and sell it. It will give you the lowest net cost on cancellation.

You have 30 days to return it.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Dec 3, 2007
993 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
Does the text messaging for this plan include picture and video texts? (EDIT: yes it does).

Now, since I plan on using the phone I would get, which is the better choice: the Moto E5 which was released this year, or the J3 which is two years old?