Cell Phones

Is Zoomer Wireless still cheapest or better options for Data+voice plans??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 5:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver

Is Zoomer Wireless still cheapest or better options for Data+voice plans??

So I am with Zoomer (Rogers) and pay $36+tax for unlimited talk + 4gb data plus every 2 years they give a crappy phone that can be sold for $120-150 on kijiji, lol. Anyways. Anything better available for a similar price. Ideally from Bell as it seems some of my friends who are on Bell's network have more bars on their phone at same locations. Not looking for Freedom or Wind I value network coverage.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
25 replies
Jun 1, 2008
35 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
Zoomer has 7gigs for 45 with a Pixel4A
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7328 posts
2311 upvotes
Richmond Hill
im on zoomer too. Fido has $40 for 10gb for new activations but its YMMV
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4977 posts
1458 upvotes
does it matter?
yesstyle wrote: im on zoomer too. Fido has $40 for 10gb for new activations but its YMMV
Tomek_ wrote: Zoomer has 7gigs for 45 with a Pixel4A
I like this. who don't like free phone.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12183 posts
6020 upvotes
didnt want to create a new zoomer thread but have a questions. Anyone with zoomer do they support voLTE and wifi calling?
What about data speeds are they full no throttle? 5g at all?
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Jun 18, 2008
475 posts
222 upvotes
Calgary
No voLTE, no wifi, no 5G, but full speed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver
753951 wrote: No voLTE, no wifi, no 5G, but full speed.
I was under impression Zoomer has 5G. Sad. Not that I would care. I did notice internet speed increase of LTE in my area though. Used get about 30-40mb/s. now it's about 140mb/s when I checked last week.
Jan 27, 2017
258 posts
159 upvotes
753951 wrote: No voLTE, no wifi, no 5G, but full speed.
How does that really matter? Most of their plans include unlimited talk. Their 4G LTE is super fast.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver
Tomek_ wrote: Zoomer has 7gigs for 45 with a Pixel4A
yesstyle wrote: im on zoomer too. Fido has $40 for 10gb for new activations but its YMMV
I have a great phone. tbh I don't even need the current 4gb as with the work from home I don't use more than 2gb even when I try hard. Not much into social media or youtube which are known to suck the data I tried calling Fido and Bell but all of the plans offered were above 50 bux :(
If I sell the zoomer phone the plan is essentially $30/month for 4gb +unlimited talk. I am just surprised nobody else is coming with similar prices. Fido used to be cheap as a subsidiary of Rogers,but for many years it has the exact same overpriced plans.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7328 posts
2311 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dazz wrote: I tried calling Fido and Bell but all of the plans offered were above 50 bux :(
check out the booths/stores at malls, i've seen signs offering $40/10gb
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver
yesstyle wrote: check out the booths/stores at malls, i've seen signs offering $40/10gb
Thank you for the tip, haven't been to malls but perhaps I'll swing by a few this weekend.
Aug 14, 2011
156 posts
64 upvotes
Ajax
I still think Zoomer is the best price out there. I'm in the same boat as you. Hardly use any data and you're not going to find a $36 plan anywhere that you don't have to worry about credits expiring etc.

Been with them for 4 yrs now and still no promos that can beat them. I've just sold the phones on kijiji and bought what I needed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver
maximum2326 wrote: I still think Zoomer is the best price out there. I'm in the same boat as you. Hardly use any data and you're not going to find a $36 plan anywhere that you don't have to worry about credits expiring etc.

Been with them for 4 yrs now and still no promos that can beat them. I've just sold the phones on kijiji and bought what I needed.
Yah, good point on expiration. Hate those. 6m,12, 24 and then you are back to full price.
Been paying 36+tax for years. Just thought maybe there's another company competing. Rogers owns Chatr which is sort of a competitor but shi$$ty 3G is technology is at the 3rd World level. It's embarrassing they are even doing it in 2021, since they can offer LTE, but they choose to cap at 3G. I thought maybe Bell had a cheaper LTE alternative.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
It all comes down to data. If 4GB/month is good enough for you and you don't even use 2GB, then that price (especially factoring in sellable free phone every two years) can't really be beat for that amount of data.

Other providers' plans may give you cheaper data in terms of data per dollar, but if you don't use it up, it's throwing money away. 10 GB for $40 sure sounds good, but if you're still only using < 2GB, that's just giving away $4/month (or more, if you don't get a sellable phone).

I don't watch videos on my phone. I have big monitors at work and home for that. I barely use up 1.5 GB per month...
Jul 24, 2012
913 posts
177 upvotes
Almost up for renewal, any recommendation on which phone to get?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7267 posts
6444 upvotes
dazz wrote: I have a great phone. tbh I don't even need the current 4gb as with the work from home I don't use more than 2gb even when I try hard. Not much into social media or youtube which are known to suck the data I tried calling Fido and Bell but all of the plans offered were above 50 bux :(
If I sell the zoomer phone the plan is essentially $30/month for 4gb +unlimited talk. I am just surprised nobody else is coming with similar prices. Fido used to be cheap as a subsidiary of Rogers,but for many years it has the exact same overpriced plans.
best regular plan i've seen is $50 for 12gb from Fido if you need that amount of data. Otherwise, the targeted offers from Rogers ..eg $55 for 20gb that they mail out with the simcard

otherwise, you'll need EPP or goto like Freedom (not recommended and so bad)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37397 posts
5248 upvotes
Winnipeg
dazz wrote: I was under impression Zoomer has 5G. Sad. Not that I would care. I did notice internet speed increase of LTE in my area though. Used get about 30-40mb/s. now it's about 140mb/s when I checked last week.
It has 4G though.
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6972 posts
2615 upvotes
Vancouver
divx wrote: It has 4G though.
100mb+ LTE is faster than my home internet so I am ok.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7850 posts
4646 upvotes
West GTEH!
Dealfinder111 wrote: Almost up for renewal, any recommendation on which phone to get?
Which Plan do you have?
😎