• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 3:44 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 19, 2017
909 posts
728 upvotes
Moncton
anas38 wrote: Tell him to enable roaming in his area to take advantage of the extended coverage through Bell/Telus when Rogers doesn't have service within Canada. It's free of charge. Learn more here: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/network_coverage.

Heh... I get hives whenever I hear a carrier telling me to "enable roaming", even when they tell me... "trust us... it won't cost any extra... :) ).

I'm not saying that it's not functional and legit... just that I don't trust not getting a surprise bill for an exorbitant data roaming fee. :)
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
sswilson wrote:

Heh... I get hives whenever I hear a carrier telling me to "enable roaming", even when they tell me... "trust us... it won't cost any extra... :) ).

I'm not saying that it's not functional and legit... just that I don't trust not getting a surprise bill for an exorbitant data roaming fee. :)
Then it's ok, you don't need to benefit from this free feature. Your loss.
Nov 26, 2017
38 posts
51 upvotes
Edmonton
I've been with Zoomer for over 2 years now. Have nothing but good things to say about them. Great service, excellent area coverage for my needs, free phone every two years which I can sell or gift, great referral program.
If you still have doubts about should you switch to them or not - just do it. It's a smart decision.
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time"
Terry Pratchett
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6394 posts
2697 upvotes
I am coming up on my 2 yr anniversary with Zoomer - initially when I switched from Bell, the signal was crappy in my house especially since I have a metal roof.
Rogers have since added a cell tower about 2 kms from my house and the service is now great. (There's one spot on HWY 400 just north of the 401 in Toronto where I get dropped calls regularly)
Dec 26, 2006
233 posts
381 upvotes
Burnaby
The $36 dollar 4GB plan on a 2 year contract is probably the best value for money without having to jump through hoops / loopholes / loyalty and it's fair and available to EVERYONE!

I got the Hauwei P20 lite when I signed up and referred a coworker, sold the phone for $190 and received $50 referral credit.

Taking the $240 I received over 2 years, that's equivalent of saving $10 per month making my 2 year commitment on only $26 per month.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1459 posts
1443 upvotes
This is great! All the Koodo Wieners can now switch to Zoomer and leave Koodo Threads alone Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Mar 17, 2018
999 posts
1464 upvotes
Here's from my chat with Zoomer.... hope some questions asked and answered will help others. I think Rogers and I will be having a nice little chat this week. :-)

Thank you for contacting Zoomer Wireless; one moment while we check for an available agent.

2:38:01 PM

[Dean] just entered

2:38:55 PM

[Dean]

Good Afternoon Ken, Thank you for contacting Zoomer wireless. My name is Dean. I see you have a inquiry about promotional plans

2:38:34 PM

Ken

Yes Dean. And good afternoon to you as well.

2:39:30 PM

I am looking at this $36 promotion and I have some questions.

2:39:43 PM

Is the 4GB of data on the LTE network?

2:40:04 PM

[Dean]

Yes we use Roger's network for our coverage so it would be LTE data

2:39:53 PM

Ken

And if you go over the 4GB limit, what are the fees?

2:40:52 PM

[Dean]

Yes there are overage charges of $0.2/mb the system would send a message at 90% and 100% of usage. Additionally if you are using our phone or its a Android phone it can be set up internally to turn the data off once you have hit your data limit.

2:41:35 PM

Ken

Ok.

2:42:36 PM

With regards to the contract itself. Once the contract is over after 2 years, is the contract/plan grandfathered?

2:43:13 PM

[Dean]

we do not change your plan even once the 2 year term is over. we pay for the phone once you have completed the term you are simply paying for the monthly service. Additionally after 6 months you can change it to a Loyalty plan.

2:43:16 PM

Ken

Hmmm, now with that answer another question came to mind. But before I continue, if the plan is "grandfather" per say and you don't change the plan, are the bonuses grandfathered as well or just the original plan carried over?

2:45:54 PM

[Dean]

No everything stays the same. For example lets say you changed to the Loyalty plan for the start of a billing cycle and the term ends you retain the same great features even though the term has ended.

2:46:02 PM

Ken

Now this comes to my other question that you brought up... Loyalty plan after 6 months? Can you explain what this means?

2:47:53 PM

[Dean]

Sure for example if you go with a $54 plan that comes with 5Gb of data to start with unlimited calling/texting. The loyalty plan basically would add on 2GB for $0 giving you a total of 7GB of data. Same price

2:48:09 PM

Ken

Sorry... someone was at the door.. let me catch up and read...

2:50:59 PM

[Dean]

no problem. Take your time.

2:50:30 PM

Ken

So if I sign up on the $36 plan with 4GB of data, a loyalty plan offers bonus GB but would have to pay a higher fee / plan... sound about right?

2:52:59 PM

[Dean]

No for the Loyalty plan for the $36 the data is 4GB but the minutes are removed and you have unlimited calling with the plan. If you went to $40.50 for example you would have 5GB of data instead of 4GB. Does that make sense?

2:53:22 PM

The connection to the server has been restored.

2:54:11 PM

Ken

Yes. I do understand now. This is very interesting.

2:54:49 PM

So, just making sure I'm understanding correctly.... I go to the $36 plan, 400 minutes turns into unlimited talk and text after 6 months of loyalty.

2:55:39 PM

[Dean]

Correct.

2:55:07 PM

Ken

Holy crap!
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
$50 15GB Unlimited Talk and Text
$22.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2660 posts
1670 upvotes
GVRD
For those who is afraid of Rogers coverage, Zoomer also can go on Rogers extended coverage, aka Telus. I can manually select Telus on my phone and roam on it indefinitely. Although Telus has faster LTE speed than Rogers, because the APN is still with Rogers so the speed is still reasonably fast.

If you are just looking for the cheapest plan with data, PM is great. If you are looking for the cheapest plan with LTE and good coverage, Zoomer is the best.

On the other hand, Telus and Bell customers cannot roam on Rogers unless you are in designated areas.

I am not sure when Wifi calling or VoLTE is available, but I don't think the current handsets offered by Zoomer is as compatible anyways.
Mar 17, 2018
999 posts
1464 upvotes
The one thing I did notice is the very limited selection of free phones for this particular $36 plan.

Moto E5 Play
Alcatel GO FLIP
Moto E6

Not too worried though. I'm waiting for the iPhone SE 2 to come out. Will buy it outright.
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
$50 15GB Unlimited Talk and Text
$22.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
Aug 27, 2008
201 posts
90 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: The one thing I did notice is the very limited selection of free phones for this particular $36 plan.

Moto E5 Play
Alcatel GO FLIP
Moto E6

Not too worried though. I'm waiting for the iPhone SE 2 to come out. Will buy it outright.
Get the blackberry key2 Le. I just renewed and sold it for 350
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11976 posts
10882 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Here's from my chat with Zoomer.... hope some questions asked and answered will help others. I think Rogers and I will be having a nice little chat this week. :-)

Yes there are overage charges of $0.2/mb the system would send a message at 90% and 100% of usage. Additionally if you are using our phone or its a Android phone it can be set up internally to turn the data off once you have hit your data limit.
Zoomer CSR is partially wrong on the $0.02/MB data overage for the $36 market plan.
The $40 ($36 with 10% off)) market plan has only 500MB data. Zoomer added the bonus data to the plan in order to sign up subscribers.
https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/plans#smartphone

According to the details at the bottom of above link, the overage for the plan with 500 MB / 750 MB is $0.05/additional MB used
Data: Includes data use in Canada only: 50 MB / 100 MB / 200 MB: $0.15/additional MB used. 500 MB / 750 MB: $0.05/additional MB used. 1 GB: $0.02/additional MB used
But after 6 months, you can get the loyalty plan and the data overage will be $0.02/additional MB used
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Feb 1, 2017
310 posts
329 upvotes
For people in Vancouver, coverage is garbage, even with roaming enabled. I've walked to work and had no service the entire 1.8ish Km stretch for no apparent reason when it normally works. It's happened a few times, where I just don't have data for no reason. Also, no VOIP/Wifi calling. The last bit hurts hard, and is why I will be switching out the moment my plan ends next year. I get no service in my house, so I have to actually go to the door and step outside to make a call without risking dropping, or my voice not getting through.

I have no clue why they don't offer wifi calling as rogers does. If there was a way to cheat wifi calling onto my samsung I'd be fine, but doesn't seem to be possible.
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
32 posts
25 upvotes
For the $54 plan does it increase to 7GB after 6 months or just stays at 5GB?
Jan 1, 2012
71 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver
ryokoseigo wrote: For people in Vancouver, coverage is garbage, even with roaming enabled. I've walked to work and had no service the entire 1.8ish Km stretch for no apparent reason when it normally works. It's happened a few times, where I just don't have data for no reason. Also, no VOIP/Wifi calling. The last bit hurts hard, and is why I will be switching out the moment my plan ends next year. I get no service in my house, so I have to actually go to the door and step outside to make a call without risking dropping, or my voice not getting through.

I have no clue why they don't offer wifi calling as rogers does. If there was a way to cheat wifi calling onto my samsung I'd be fine, but doesn't seem to be possible.
Interesting, have you used Rogers before for your service? If you have, I'm curious why there's a difference between the two since they use the same network. Also, whereabouts are you in general? Downtown/Central Vancouver or elsewhere?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)