• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 3:44 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 1, 2017
299 posts
320 upvotes
I've heard that rogers is pretty mediocre in general in Vancouver so its less zoomer and more just rogers aint the best out west. I'm closer to metrotown/richmond. But again, in previous zoomer threads I've heard a lot of people in Vancouver complaining about coverage.
Jan 1, 2012
70 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver
ryokoseigo wrote: I've heard that rogers is pretty mediocre in general in Vancouver so its less zoomer and more just rogers aint the best out west. I'm closer to metrotown/richmond. But again, in previous zoomer threads I've heard a lot of people in Vancouver complaining about coverage.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Appreciate the reply!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11959 posts
10876 upvotes
ryokoseigo wrote: I've heard that rogers is pretty mediocre in general in Vancouver so its less zoomer and more just rogers aint the best out west. I'm closer to metrotown/richmond. But again, in previous zoomer threads I've heard a lot of people in Vancouver complaining about coverage.
Rogers is based in eastern Canada. Telus is based in western Canada. Bell is based in eastern Canada. The tower sharing between Telus and Bell is a smart move to create a good network across Canada. Rogers by itself will take care of the area with the most population first.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2509 posts
1086 upvotes
GTA
I've been with Zoomer for over four years. I stay with them for several reasons: reception is great in my area (the GTA); their customer service is second to none; there are never any surprises... prices don't go up - features are never cut or rolled back (even after your "contract" ends).

Heck, when they offered their "Loyalty" plans they actually emailed customers to tell them that they were entitled to more for no extra $

Zoomer also offers some benefits that may or may not be of interest such as free membership in CARP (which offers cost savings at many places including Swiss Chalet and the Royal Ontario Museum) and a free Zoomer Magazine each month. As I said, these may not be of interest to everyone but are free benefits appreciated by some...
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1975 posts
494 upvotes
I've been with zoomer for almost a year, and this $36 4 GB plan was their regular unadvertised deal when I signed up. Sucks that's it now considered a black Friday deal, but at least you all can jump on it now. Service exactly the same from when I was with Rogers.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2830 posts
245 upvotes
Brantford
I've been on zoomer for over three years and it's been great as others have mentioned. Unfortunately I'm semi rural and the cell tower is far enough away that any network carrier's signal is weak.

So what is this WiFi calling and if it was enabled (let's say I switched to virgin mobile and they support it which I don't know if that's true) is it only for outbound and not incoming calls? I mean if someone tries to call me using my cell number could I receive it over WiFi is the cell signal is too weak?
Jun 10, 2003
671 posts
97 upvotes
Halifax
I may try to switch to the $28 dollar plan as long as they dont sign me up for that zoomer magizine and CARP stuff again. It took months to finally get them to stop mailing me their junk and do not want to have to do that again.
Dec 5, 2009
60 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
For those in Vancouver, I've been with sooner for almost 2 years and haven't had a problem. Haven't seen any problems in Chilliwack, Whistler, Richmond, delta, Poco, Surrey, Victoria, etc and live by Vancouver/Burnaby area. Am planning to renew my plan for another 2 years for a free phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11959 posts
10876 upvotes
Yummier wrote: For those in Vancouver, I've been with sooner for almost 2 years and haven't had a problem. Haven't seen any problems in Chilliwack, Whistler, Richmond, delta, Poco, Surrey, Victoria, etc and live by Vancouver/Burnaby area. Am planning to renew my plan for another 2 years for a free phone.
Agree. There is no side deals similar to big 3 provider. Zoomer follows their rules. All subscribers receive the same deal whether you are new or with Zoomer for 5 years. I moved some of my numbers which need less than as well as more than 4GB data to Public Mobile.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Nov 14, 2003
407 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
When you port out, do they pro-rate the last bill for the partial month?
If you are a previous customer, and port back in, can you get the referral bonus again?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11959 posts
10876 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote: When you port out, do they pro-rate the last bill for the partial month?
If you are a previous customer, and port back in, can you get the referral bonus again?
Zoomer plan is postpaid. Therefore, your unused days of your last billing cycle will be prorated.
You will not get the referral credit again if you cancel and join again. Zoomer will know that you are a previous customer as soon as they pull you credit report.
May 7, 2003
226 posts
42 upvotes
pkphilip wrote: For those who is afraid of Rogers coverage, Zoomer also can go on Rogers extended coverage, aka Telus. I can manually select Telus on my phone and roam on it indefinitely. Although Telus has faster LTE speed than Rogers, because the APN is still with Rogers so the speed is still reasonably fast.
Wait, what? What does this mean? How do you select Telus if on Zoomer?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14503 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
jeffxrich wrote: I'm a Zoomer customer for me and my wife. Here's why we initially signed up 2 years ago:

- We are on the Rogers network so have great coverage and have full LTE+ speed
- The price was fair compared to all the other carriers at the time - $36/month with 2GB of data and 400 canada wide minutes. It came with a cheapo $0 Huawei phone which I ended up selling for $220 each.
- After 6 months, Zoomer started adding 2GB of extra data free forever to the plans as a loyalty bonus, so it became a $36/month 4GB data, unlimited plan
- We later shifted over to $45/month 6GB unlimited minute plans
- No retention negotiations - you are eligible for the loyalty plans after being a customer for 6 months

Here are the downsides which you should consider if you are considering a move to Zoomer
- No VoLTE
- No Wifi calling
- No RCS from Zoomer directly (Google might fix this)
- No eSIM
- No app which you can install on your phone to quickly check your data usage. You have to sign into the web portal
- Mediocre travel plans
- Not a great selection of subsidized phones

Anyway I took all that into consideration when I first signed up 2 years ago (e.g. I don't talk on the phone that much so don't care about VoLTE or wifi calling really, and mostly use Whatsapp so RCS doesn't matter much). The new crop of loyalty plans at other carriers which offer all those features and more at the same or better price is making me consider switching away. As of now there's a few hoops to jump through to get same or equivalent plans.
You DO realize that the demographic this company is aiming for are Seniors. This is why the phone selection is not the latest and greatest and the features you talk about are not offered. Heck, I don't even think many Seniors knows what VoLTE is.

Zoomer has always been about providing services to the Seniors. If you want the latest phones with the newest network features, check out the Tier 1 providers (Rogers, Bell, Telus).
Last edited by hightech on Nov 20th, 2019 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless