• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2016 1:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Zwilling Henckles kitchen tools

I know Zwilling Henckles have various types / models at different price ranges, sometimes makes it hard to believe if a "sale" is really a sale ...

What are the good models to look at for Zwilling Henckles knifes and cookwares?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1033 posts
686 upvotes
Pickering
Look for items that have the two man logo instead of just the single.

Image Image

In regards to the knives, common advice is to skip the block sets and invest in a few quality knives that would be suited for most applications, depending on your personal uses.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1326 posts
689 upvotes
TORONTO
The two man(twin) Henckels are made in Germany. They don't usually come in box sets so you're ultimately going to spend a lot more money to make a complete set. A LOT.

The single man Henckels are made in China. They usually come in box sets and are cheaper.

I own a China made block set. They're great! I'm not a chef but I do cook and appreciate a good sharp knife. One thing I made sure when buying this set was that the handle had rivets and wasn't a one piece molded handle. I personally believe the riveted handles are stronger.

As long as you hone your knife properly when needed and sharpen them appropriately both versions will last long. One knife from the Germany made Henckels can cost as much as a whole made in China set. I guess you get what you pay for, but really, it's a knife. Regardless of where it's made as long as you use them properly they will last long.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3947 posts
2689 upvotes
Montreal
I like the Zwilling Cermax knife and have the 9" chef, but if you are the type who throw knives into sink and dishwasher, you'll damage them quickly.
May 12, 2014
945 posts
655 upvotes
Markham, ON
Phat$ wrote: Look for items that have the two man logo instead of just the single.

In regards to the knives, common advice is to skip the block sets and invest in a few quality knives that would be suited for most applications, depending on your personal uses.
The two man logo is not completely true anymore. The Henckels Tradition and Twin Gourmet have the two man logo but are stamped knives and are made in Spain.

If the OP wants Henckels that are forged, the 4 Star Knife Set are a good price because they're being phased out.
$229 for 4" Paring knife / 6" Utility knife / 8" Chef's knife / 8" Bread knife / 9" Sharpening steel / Knife Block
http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/henckel ... -block-set

Generally what I use daily are the chef, paring and sharpening steel.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote: The Henckels Tradition and Twin Gourmet have the two man logo but are stamped knives and are made in Spain.
What does "stamped" mean and what's the "made in" that would indicate the good ones?
Also, does it matter if there's rivet on the handle?
Bobberts wrote: If the OP wants Henckels that are forged, the 4 Star Knife Set are a good price because they're being phased out.
What about the 4-Star vs 5-Star sets?
http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/zwillin ... s-set-of-7
May 12, 2014
945 posts
655 upvotes
Markham, ON
epiczz wrote: What does "stamped" mean and what's the "made in" that would indicate the good ones?
Also, does it matter if there's rivet on the handle?

What about the 4-Star vs 5-Star sets?
http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/zwillin ... s-set-of-7
Stamped - Take a sheet metal and stamp out the shape of a knife to make the knife. Then sharpen the knife.
Forged - Take a block of metal and hammer it out to a knife shape. Generally should be better at holding an edge.
Rivet - If you look at the handle, it'll have circles as they attached the handle to the knife via rivets. To me this is just a design consideration as I've never had issues with a molded handle.
4 vs 5 star - From the description, the blade is the same but the handle is different.
Made In - Generally either Germany or Japan are considered better.

Keep in mind spending more does not make a knife sharper.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1123 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
Don't want to reiterate everyone's facts. OP what you really need to invest in is one good chef knife, a pairing knife and a bread knife. I love my henkles, but my pairing knife from wustoff is the greatest
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher