[Zwilling J.A. Henckels] Miyabi Birchwood 8" Chefs (gyutoh) Knife - $209.24

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 6:55 am
[OP]
Sep 18, 2016
191 posts
230 upvotes

[Zwilling J.A. Henckels] Miyabi Birchwood 8" Chefs (gyutoh) Knife - $209.24

This knife wasn't available during the huge 50% sale. The 9.5" and the 6" was available, but now this 8" is available for 50% off.

There is an additional 10% code which still works.
CAZW-ARAC-2351
28 replies
Aug 17, 2008
271 posts
1054 upvotes
I have this knife... it's magical... cuts soooooooooooo nicely
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4817 posts
3355 upvotes
I think this is the lowest ever. I paid $212 from the previous sale.

Kinda regret buying it though. My cheap knives cut just as good after sharpening with Waterstone.
Last edited by WL1980 on Aug 27th, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3166 posts
916 upvotes
Belle River
What kinda maintenance do people recommend for a knife like this?
Oct 28, 2014
20 posts
30 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: I think this is the lowest ever. I paid $212 from the previous sale.

Kinda regret buying it though. My cheap knives cut just as good after sharpening with Waterstone.
Do you find the Miyabi to hold its edge better? I ended up getting the zwilling pro 8 chef knife this sale because I’m pretty rough with my knives and I don’t want to chip a harder Japanese knife. With the zwilling I’m guessing I would have to sharpen it more often.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10433 posts
1746 upvotes
weird question... how long do those knives last? I want to buy a set of 3-4 for new house, and i don't know anything about knives. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1139 posts
647 upvotes
Markham
25jai wrote: What's the difference between this one? Don't know enough about the specs to compare them.

https://www.zwilling.ca/product/kaizen- ... efs-knife/
One is a chef knife, and the other is Gyutoh. The blade profile is different.
Also, the birchwood feels kinda like cork. Where as the other one is more of a firm hardwood.
kingofwale wrote: weird question... how long do those knives last? I want to buy a set of 3-4 for new house, and i don't know anything about knives. :(
These knives are BIFL. So long as you use and maintain them properly.
If you plan on hacking bones etc, perhaps try a knife that is less hard as these will be more prone to chipping.
Since these knives use harder steel, they will maintain its edge longer, but trade-off is being more brittle.
Nov 17, 2015
183 posts
369 upvotes
Banff, AB
Should I get this instead?

It's an inch smaller but serves as something I'd use more.

Miyabi Birchwood 5000MCD Santoku Knife 7" / 180 mm, Granton Edge

Different strokes for different blokes:
See here for comparison. I already use my shitty fake santoku for most but the balance sucks so I'll keep the gyutoh for the swing.
https://japanahome.com/journal/santoku- ... ifference/

P.S. Don't forget to get a end grain cutting board to lessen the dullness of the blade.

Edit: **** it, I got a wakizashi instead.
Nov 25, 2014
26 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
What's everyone's experience with Zwillings online returns? I bought the 6" Birchwood Gyutoh from the previous sale but I'd love to upgrade to the 8"....

I called into Zwillings at Vmills and they said they don't process online returns but other stores might, and for some reason the number for the Markville location directs you to their office which is closed at 5...
[OP]
Sep 18, 2016
191 posts
230 upvotes
I am actually returning an Artisan for this birchwood. They have a warehouse location in Markham that does all the returns. You can either ship it or bring it back. Shipping cost is on you.
May 27, 2017
34 posts
15 upvotes
kingofwale wrote: weird question... how long do those knives last? I want to buy a set of 3-4 for new house, and i don't know anything about knives. :(
Think of it as the the Ferrari of knives - most people will baby them. Cheaper knives will still get you from A to B but this knife is better looking and faster, worthy of showing off.

Most knives will last a long time if you treat it right.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1101 posts
611 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Should downvote this thread - it just made me $230 poorer...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1142 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it couple of years, and sold it. It's such a gorgeous knife.

I wasn't happy with it though. The shiny polished surface caused food to stick. It didn't have enough heel height (44 mm for mine from what I remember). Because of this, my fingers were touching the board sometimes when I chopped. Also the weight distribution felt weird, but that's very subjective.
Nov 25, 2014
26 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Is that the one on Cochrane or Markville?

That's great to know. Thank you! Just purchased the 8"!!
Dec 3, 2012
57 posts
17 upvotes
I bought the Santoku 7" 2 years ago and had to replace this recently as a fraction of the blade chipped. The knife was properly care for/washed and I had a designated microfiber cloth for drying. I think the chip may have stemmed from using a low end plastic cutting board. There was also signs of fading on the printing of the MIyabi logo. With that said, the knife is razer sharp and I use it for chopping and slicing raw meat (it was flawless). I had an amazing customer experience at the warehouse and the lady working replaced it with a brand new unit.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2016
191 posts
230 upvotes
LuanP058 wrote: Is that the one on Cochrane or Markville?

That's great to know. Thank you! Just purchased the 8"!!
Cochrane
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3582 posts
3162 upvotes
Toronto
cheelos wrote:
P.S. Don't forget to get a end grain cutting board to lessen the dullness of the blade.
not true, myth is busted by america's test kitchen
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4817 posts
3355 upvotes
dinguszoo wrote: Do you find the Miyabi to hold its edge better? I ended up getting the zwilling pro 8 chef knife this sale because I’m pretty rough with my knives and I don’t want to chip a harder Japanese knife. With the zwilling I’m guessing I would have to sharpen it more often.
I only use it on meat and veggies (no bones) and mine is still sharp. Haven't sharpened it yet.

I use Chinese Cleaver for bones and such.