Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15142 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto

New Ontario law allows less pay for overtime

Getting overtime for extra hours worked will now be fewer thanks to Mr. Ford:

https://spon.ca/new-ontario-law-allows- ... 019/04/02/

For example, an employee who works 30 hours in weeks one and two and 60 hours in weeks three and four would normally be entitled to 32 hours of overtime pay that month. With the month-long averaging agreements that Bill 66 allows, they would get just four hours of overtime pay.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
32 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35514 posts
21563 upvotes
Center of Universe
What's overtime pay?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
It is still possible for your employer to accept the "old way" of calculating overtime as it's better then the new rules. If your employer adopts the new rules, just don't work overtime. If you rely on overtime pay to pay your bills, then I guess you have to work it on a consistent basis every week.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3619 posts
704 upvotes
Kingston
vkizzle wrote: What's overtime pay?
LMAO, exactly...... OT pay doesn't exist in my line of work.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
kcorscadden wrote: LMAO, exactly...... OT pay doesn't exist in my line of work.
Same. I have to work this Sunday and I'm not getting paid for it.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2274 posts
858 upvotes
LOL

Hard to drum up sympathy for those affected by this, given many of us are on salary and constantly/consistently work overtime on a regular basis without any extra $$ to compensate........
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7010 posts
1362 upvotes
Scarborough
When people keep working overtime without pay, ofcourse the greedy corps will take advantage. Too many company slaves in canada
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2285 posts
1432 upvotes
Lucky for those that are covered by collective agreements.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35514 posts
21563 upvotes
Center of Universe
apnayloags wrote: When people keep working overtime without pay, ofcourse the greedy corps will take advantage. Too many company slaves in canada
Yeah, kind of hard to walk out of a meeting because "time's up" or tell the customer to cut it short because I have to go home.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2994 posts
339 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: When people keep working overtime without pay, ofcourse the greedy corps will take advantage. Too many company slaves in canada
When you get to certain pay levels, extra hours are expected if that's what it takes to get the job done. That's how you make over $100K with no overtime pay (extra hours are probably worked but not paid for).

NDP made changes to our laws in Alberta that caused my overtime pay to disappear, so I got more stock options instead. It's a wash.

Get a 100K job to sometimes work OT for free, or work for 50K a year and get overtime paid for every hour worked? Hmm...tough choice.
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes
There is a considerable population that counts on OT to pay bills. Lets not just look at "my" situation, the world is much bigger than "me"
The pity is many of those who will be affected by such decisions are the ones who voted for such government. Long live democrazy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35514 posts
21563 upvotes
Center of Universe
jaguaar wrote: There is a considerable population that counts on OT to pay bills. Lets not just look at "my" situation, the world is much bigger than "me"
The pity is many of those who will be affected by such decisions are the ones who voted for such government. Long live democrazy.
OT is never guaranteed.
One should budget accordingly.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2285 posts
1432 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: When you get to certain pay levels, extra hours are expected if that's what it takes to get the job done. That's how you make over $100K with no overtime pay (extra hours are probably worked but not paid for).

NDP made changes to our laws in Alberta that caused my overtime pay to disappear, so I got more stock options instead. It's a wash.

Get a 100K job to sometimes work OT for free, or work for 50K a year and get overtime paid for every hour worked? Hmm...tough choice.
You’d have to work a LOT of OT on a 50k salary to comeeven close to $100k.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2994 posts
339 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote: You’d have to work a LOT of OT on a 50k salary to comeeven close to $100k.
I think that was my point. For the most part, the only way to get to a six figure job is one where OT is not paid, and extra hours are expected when they are necessary.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9843 posts
1770 upvotes
hightech wrote: Getting overtime for extra hours worked will now be fewer thanks to Mr. Ford:

https://spon.ca/new-ontario-law-allows- ... 019/04/02/

For example, an employee who works 30 hours in weeks one and two and 60 hours in weeks three and four would normally be entitled to 32 hours of overtime pay that month. With the month-long averaging agreements that Bill 66 allows, they would get just four hours of overtime pay.

Dushbag companies already do average. I will ask my boss to eat 3 meals during breakfast and not eat for the rest of the day. So technically company can ask me to do ridiculous hours 1 week and don't come to work the following week. No thanks.
Mar 4, 2007
53 posts
6 upvotes
You guys forget there are a lots of jobs out there in health care and social services that have 24/7 coverage. The employees arent just gonna work for free after hours when they are in the job for 12 hours already. They need incentive to come in.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5665 posts
2243 upvotes
Debtario
Open for BUSINESSES!

We'll see so many jobs created once Ford abolishes minimum wage. Low cost beer, low tax, low wages, HOW LOW CAN WE GO?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35042 posts
4288 upvotes
Winnipeg
LeisureSuitL wrote: When you get to certain pay levels, extra hours are expected if that's what it takes to get the job done. That's how you make over $100K with no overtime pay (extra hours are probably worked but not paid for).

I would accept OT work for free if it is not regular and I get 100k+ salary.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35042 posts
4288 upvotes
Winnipeg
medic1 wrote: You guys forget there are a lots of jobs out there in health care and social services that have 24/7 coverage. The employees arent just gonna work for free after hours when they are in the job for 12 hours already. They need incentive to come in.
Pretty sure it is against the law to force employee work OT.